INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Required updates?  (Read 1580 times)

zuiko

• Recent member
Required updates?
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:42 am »

Why are there required updates? It is extremely annoying that the program bails out just because I don't want to download an update right then and there. It is bad enough on a regular machine, but even worse when the application is being used on an HTPC when you just want to watch a video or something and it is demanding an update or it won't work. I would just like to use the program I bought and update it when I want to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Required updates?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:17:16 am »

Please download and install the latest build from this site.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:51:32 am »

Have you checked the options at all? If you did check the Startup options you would find some ways to turn off the automatic update lookup, as well as a way of increasing the days between the checks.

As Jim says, if your experiencing crashes, the best thing to do first is to get the newest build from this board. Then you can start figuring out what else might cause it. Bad codec or config is the most usual cause.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

It isn't a crash. The program exits. "One or more required updates must be installed. You will not be able to use Media Center until these updates have been installed." is the message. Then if you don't agree to download and install right away it quits the application. I don't have a problem with it checking for updates and telling me one is available. I have a problem with it forcing me to do an update when I don't want to. I think this behavior was added in 15. I don't remember it in 14 or earlier.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:35 pm »

It has been in there forever.   Options->Startup->Check for updates every:xx days.

Uncheck that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:45:37 pm »

A required update is usually done when we think there is a serious problem in an older version.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »

This happened to me in the middle of a movie last week. MC15 crashed during the movie and then forced me to update before I could start the movie again. I wasn't very pleased with this behavior, but if there was a serious problem with a certain version I'd rather have to update than have something happen to my library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up