INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with changing computer name (solved)  (Read 9348 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problem with changing computer name (solved)
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:09 pm »

I have set up a JRiver Music server and am using Gizmo to stream music onto a new Android phone. This is a FANTASTIC system feature, I have used it daily since installing the app on my phone. Bluetooth audio streams from my phone flawlessly into my car stereo, and I can use my phone as a to access a massive music library anywhere I go; what a great way to "carry" multimedia files on the fly. Thank you for all the development and hard work!!

Here's a strange problem I encountered today while I was tweaking my server setup. I tried to change my HTPC's Windows 7 Computer Name from it's current name to something like Home-Stereo, so that it shows up with this title on logged in client computers and in Gizmo.

However, after changing Win7 computer name in the contol panel and rebooting the machine, MC reverted back to it's trial unregistered version. I tried using a licence restore, and running the mjr file pulled up the message "Error restoring Media Center Licence: Unknown Error"

I performed a System Restore in Windows 7 and my registered copy reappeared on my computer no problem.

Is there any way to "safely" change the name of the server computer in Win7 control without interfering with the licencing for MC?

Alternately, is there a way to change the sever name within the MC program?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Re: Strange Problem with changing computer name
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:05 pm »

Did you try "Computer description" instead of "Full computer name" right click My Computer--> Properties-->Advanced system settings-->Computer name
I don't have an Android device just a suggestion to see if it helps.
Sean

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »

Once you change the computers name, the license is not valid any more.  Even if you change it back to the original name, it won't work!

You can restore your license by using the on line option. I cannot do it on my machine right now but am pretty sure it is under Help then registration, and restore from internet. You may need your original key (not the mjr file). You get several "restores" per year with your license.  When you do that, it creates an mjr file and that is valid for 14 days.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:52:13 am »

Changing your system name should require a restore of your license.  If you had trouble, I would have tried a reboot and reinstall of MC.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:17 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried several different things so far, none have been successful.

So far I've downloaded MC 15.0.173 and performed a successful download of the ".mjr" reactivation file. I then tried the following:

1. Uninstall, restart, reinstall, then run activation file.

2. Library backup, complete uninstall, then run activation file.

3. I have a pretty bare-bones Win7 Ultimate installation, so I went for the nuclear option and reinstalled Windows.

However, I'm still having trouble. Running the ".mjr" license file results in the message "Error restoring Media Center license: Unknown Error" each time.

Norton and Windows Defender are off. I also tried to install version 15.0.169 to see if this was related to the minor license change listed in the 15.0.171 log. Anyway, no luck so far and I am back to running a 30-day trial version.

Anything else I could try? Is it possible that my registration mjr files are corrupted somehow (the email lists 6 reactivations left)? I'd be happy to provide additional information if that is helpful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »

The mjr file is an Install Key.  It is only good for 14 days.  After that, you'll need to use a Restore using your Registration Code.

Check your system date.  Make sure you're using an MC15 license with MC15.

The library has no bearing on this problem.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »

System date is currently accurate, and I reactivated and downloaded the .mjr file today, 1-24-11, using my registration code.

It's an MC 15 license I purchased in August of 2010, and I've successfully used the license reactivation on another netbook computer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

From the Weird Problems thread in my signature:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53010.0

Is the copy of MC15 from our site?

Make sure you're using the correct MC15 license, and not any other license you may own.

Try installing from the Help menu in MC.  Browse to the mjr file from there.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Ok, just tried disabling UAC but I still get the error message.

MC copy is from Interact, current version, and registration code purchased from the MC website on 7-13-10

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

See my additional comments in the previous post.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:29:05 pm »

I just downloaded MC15.0.173 from the forum and tested your license on XP.  It worked.

Please detail your steps.  Don't post your license.

I used the Restore option from the MC15 message that popped up telling me my trial period had expired.

IE8 gives a small warning at the top of the screen in yellow.  I clicked on it and chose "Download File".

I then got an MC message saying "Successfully installed".

Do you have IE?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problem with changing computer name (solved)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »

The problem is solved. The culprit was an incorrect time zone on my computer at the time of the mjr file download.

Thank you very much for your support, apologies if this took up unneccesary time and effort on your part.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Problem with changing computer name (solved)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

You're welcome and not a problem.  Good to hear it's working now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up