INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-zone audio and video  (Read 7548 times)

capall

• Recent member
Multi-zone audio and video
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:00:50 pm »

Hi all,
I've just read this thread and am as confused as I was starting. I've done a lot of research on multi zone audio and have come back to either J river, casatunes or apples airport expresses. Could some explain how J river does their multi zone. Is it with multiple sound cards(one per zone, and if so, how good is the syncing) or via a surround sound card( ie 7.1 for 4 zones, and agian how good is syncing).

pros/cons to separate 2ch amps vs multi channel amp? assuming wiring is not an issue?

I am coming at this from a search for a media center platform in a htpc to do multi zoned synced audio selectable via touchscreen (android/apple/pc monitor) and it also capable of playing ripped dvd/photos,( visual ..probably selectable via simple media center remote)

Does JRiver manage multizone video 1 or recorded TV?
Recorded TV could be recorded via htpc tuners or STB and available on a server to J river

Thanks for any info
Capall

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Multi-zone audio and video
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

I just answered here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19938935#post19938935

Either will work (assuming that the 7.1 card can address 4 zones).

Audio or video can be played to any of the zones.

DLNA devices can be treated as zones.

Here's more about linking zones:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ZoneLink

capall

• Recent member
Re: Multi-zone audio and video
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »

Thanks for the quick response
-are the zones in sync with either audio method
-is the webremote app for android or apple app to control zones for music,
-does it control all media and is it a native app or a web browser app that runs as a browser plugin

thanks
capall

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by "either audio method".

Take a look at Gizmo for control.  You connect to a server with it, and you can play to any zone.

The Media Network board here has more.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:45 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by "either audio method".

Take a look at Gizmo for control.  You connect to a server with it, and you can play to any zone.

The Media Network board here has more.

The "two" methods I think the OP is referring to:
1) Using multiple audio cards
2) Using multiple outputs from the same audio card.

capall

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

multiple sound cards vs one surround card?
Any suggestion on acrds for multi zones?

I've come across M-audio Delta 1010LT, AES16,
Thanks

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:55 am »

Can a single MC15 server simultaneously stream different content to different renderers?  For the moment, assume my network is not a limiting factor.  thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:53:13 am »

Can a single MC15 server simultaneously stream different content to different renderers?  For the moment, assume my network is not a limiting factor.  thanks

Yes.  You can run any number of DLNA servers (configured per device if you like), and any server can serve any number of DLNA renderers.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »

I am running an M-Audio Delta 410 card, along with onboard audio, and HDMI out for AUDIO/VIDEO to a matrix switch.  I had some ground loop issues with the signal out on the 410 card and had to add ground loop isolators.  The deal I got on the card was the main reason I opted for it.  If I had more money in my budget I would have looked into something that did not cause these and require isolators.

I replied to your thread over at AVS Forum and after that reply it occured to me that it will be cheaper to use a as many multi channel sound cards as needed than purchasing multiple 2 channel airport express modules.  Just like I stated over on that thread, I did the Airport express/Itunes route....It left a lot to be desired.  I tried using Airfoil with MC and the Airport Express and again I was not happy with the results(Lag in play, lack of player volume control which had to be controlled by Airfoil and not MC).  I still have one Airport Express I will sell to you for a good discount...it has very little use, optical and composite cable as well as a long optional cord for power.

Gizmo is probably going to be one of the biggest selling points for a lot of people going forward.  Check it out.  I have been running it on a Rooted Nook Color running Android 2.1 and it has been working flawlessly.

Do not make the same mistakes I made.  Skip the Apple deal and go with MC and Android.  I doubt you would be able to get access to the ear of Steve Jobs to request an Itunes feature like you can with MC.......think about that one.

capall

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 07:43:51 pm »

thanks dbalkunjr
I've also come across people using Matrix switchers. I know the use of this is leading down a slippery slope to home automation, but I was wondering what the decisons might be to choose a matrix switch, for audio(and possibly video) vs the JRiver/sound card method for zones. It seem a 4x8, 4x16  might be an easier solution especially with respect to video ditribution and audio syncing. But I suppose this will require a home automation software to control the matrix via pc or touchpanel with RS232

capall

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:39 am »

If you only have one two channel audio signal going into a matrix switch it limits the flexibility.  You will be stuck listening to the same media through each zone hooked up to the switch.  If you use a multi-zone soundcard you can create independent zones that can play different media to each zone or synchronize all or some zones to play the same media.  How many audio zones do you think you will require?  I have one zone coming out of my Delta card that has a Y-splitter on it because I have 4 speakers that are very close to each other in my home where having independent zones would not be adviseable.  As far as video distribution, I use a 4X4 Monoprice Matrix HDMI Switch and an Impact Acoustics 3X5 Component Matrix Switch for Distributing video in the house.  I am still trying to get the kinks worked out of the HDMI switch as I am having audio issues.  From what I have researched, I need to upgrade from 28 ga. to 24 ga. cables.  I have them on order and will be in later in the week.  If this does not fix the problem I will look into more expensive options.  The Component switch just works. No problems there.  I only have one video stream coming out of my HTPC that goes into the HDMI switch.  I do not know how adding a second video card and creating a second video zone within MC would work.  Actually if anyone has done this I would be curious to know the results they got.  TO the guys at JRiver:  is it even possible to do two video cards each with it's own zone in MC? 

As far as control of the switches, I use Harmony remotes and create activities that set the correct input and output on those switches.  I know there are some apps and hardware available for Iphone but as I already stated...been there done that.  I know HomeSeer has an android app that can be use in conjunction with a Global Cache IR unit.  I am anxiously waiting for a viable Android app to control my IR equipment that is affordable.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:44:41 am »

... is it even possible to do two video cards each with it's own zone in MC? 
It is.

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:15:23 am »

I have onboard HDMI on my motherboard as well as a Radeon 4350 card.  I am currently using the 4350 for my video feed.  I will have to see if I can get the onboard video going on another zone.

It should be possible for me to send independent video to each zone but what about control?  How can two people take advantage of this and control each zone independently?
Pages: [1]   Go Up