INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags Not Saving  (Read 1760 times)

IanBench

• Recent member
Tags Not Saving
« on: June 10, 2002, 08:58:25 am »

When I'm in the software and I change the tags, the tags appear to save. (i.e. I can click from artist to artist and the updated information is displayed) However, if I exit the software and restart it the changes are gone.

I have tested saving the tag information in Musicmatch and Realplayer and they both work fine, so I don't think it is related to my files/system.

Has anyone had this problem?

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Tags Not Saving
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 09:49:44 am »

Do you have MJ setup to save tag information (for MP3s)?  See Plug-In Manager > Input > MP3 > Configure button.  Also, Settings > Options > General > Importing & Tagging options.

claudio

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 09:52:00 am »

Hi Ian,

One thing to check is what you have selected under Settings->Options  General, Importing & Tagging.

If you want the changes to be updated in the file tags vs only in the MJ database select "Update tags when info changes"

I'm not sure why, even if your changes are not updated in the tags, you do not see them on a restart: read only library? party mode...

Claudio

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 09:52:26 am »

IanBench

What Version Of MJ?

MJ 8.0.293 Is The Current Version.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IanBench

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 10:12:49 am »

Thanks for the responses.

I am runnning .293.

My mp3 plugin settings are set to "Save(Create if Necessary)."

My Importing and Tagging settings are set to "Update Tags when File Info Changes."

Another odd thing, if I rebuild the library by going to "File>Library>Update Library" all the proper song tags come back.  (which would indicate that the tag is saving to the file), however, once I exit the application, and go back in the old tags reappear.

Thanks for the help.

claudio

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 10:34:55 am »

Hi Ian,

something is strange with your library. I would go in Library Manager and create a new library and reimport and see what happens

Claudio

ZRocker

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 10:36:11 am »

Sounds like your MJ database files (in the MJ install directory and below) might me marked Read-Only or something.  Did you by chance restore your MJ library files from a CD-R or something that might have caused this?  (I'm just guessing...trying to help.)

IanBench

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2002, 10:46:23 am »

Actually, I just tried both suggestions.  

- double checked that all the files in the data directory were read/write

- Created a new library at the root level.  

Still won't work.  

After building the new library, the correct tags appeared in my library list, however, again, after reclosing the app and reloading it, the old incorrect tags came back, even though it was pointing to my new library.

I'm thinking my next step is to completely uninstall the software and reinstall it to see if that helps.

Again, thanks for the advice.

IanBench

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2002, 10:06:45 pm »

OK, I give up.

I've completely uninstalled the program and reinstalled it.  It is still doing the exact same thing.

My 30 day evaluation period expires tomorrow.  I have tried everything to get this to work.  

As I've said in my previous postings, I really do feel that Media Jukebox has the best features on the market.  If this bug can be resolved, I will be happy to purchase Media Jukebox.  In the meantime, I'm going to have to go back to using MusicMatch.

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2002, 05:38:02 pm »

I am also having this problem.  Any fix in the works?

rocketsauce

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2002, 10:23:06 pm »

My problem with the tags not saving appears to be solved.  I was trying to save MP3 (using ID3v1&2) & MPC (using APE 1.0) with the genre set as "80s", but everytime I would restart MJ, the genre field would be set back to "Folk".  However, when I would open the files in Winamp and look at the tags there, they would show up as "80s".  Apparently, MJ doesn't like this particular tag field to begin with a number, because when I change the tag from "80s" to "Eighties", it sticks.

IanBench

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2002, 12:25:14 am »

That was it!!  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 06:40:49 am »

We'll fix this in a service release to version 8.0.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pinner

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2002, 02:02:09 am »

I am having a similar problem to this but it does not appear to be related to a particular tag. Here is the process that I am following...

Rip to APE using EAC. Tags are succesfully created here.
Import into MJ (8.0.293). Tags are read by MJ.
Update fields such as year, custom1 (record label), album, artist and cover art. MJ apparently saves to the tags. How can I check?
Convert APE to MPC(Insane). Library still seems to be complete.

Copy all MPC files across a network to a mirrored structure on another PC (using XCOPY).
Install MJ on second PC.
Import the copied files on the second PC.
Most files appear to have no tag data (artist or anything).
If I do a whole album at once then about 1 in 8 files will have tags. These might be tracks 2, 7 and 14.

What I cannot understand is that the tracks were ripped at the sae time, imported togeter, the properties were set at the same time, with a single click of the save button. They were convered at the same time, and copied across at the same time etc. Yet some ahve tags and some do not.

The data still appears to be in the MJ library, but not in the file tags. Is there a way of forcing MJ to overwrite the tags of the mpc files?

(Yes the udate tags option is set. It has always been set).

RAM:512
MJ 8.0.293

Pinner

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2002, 12:44:37 pm »

Hello ... I am still concerned about the complete and apparent random loss of data when writing to tags. The data is there in the library. How do I attach it to the files?

I am now using 8.0.302 but I still cannot see any way to write the tag data so that the files can be transfered intact. I have tried changing fields in a range of files, and saving the changes, I have even tried analysing the replay gain. It writes the files OK. The archive attribute and file stamp are changed ... but the missing data in the tags is still not added.

Am I just fustrated, annoyed and angry that this apparent fundamental problem is being ignored in favour of the usual cosmetic moans and groans?
Or an I doing something really, really stupid. I would honestly love it to be the latter, since I have been using MJ for years, love it in general, hate it at the moment, will love it again next week.

Any help/acknowledgement of this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2002, 12:53:54 pm »

Hey Pinner, this sounds like a problem with the MPC plugin.  If you transfer the APE files, do the tags come across intact? (they do for me)

Maybe one of the kind souls at http://www.naivesoftware.com (makers of the MJ MPC plugin) will have more to say.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2002, 12:54:59 pm »

Also, double check your MPC plugin tag saving settings in MJ's plugin managers...

Let us know...

-Matt

Pinner

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2002, 01:57:53 am »

Thanks for the replies.

The .APE tags from EAC all work fine.

As to looking at the MPC encoder settings, I am not sure how to do this.
plugin manager ... encoder ... MPEGplus has no user changeable settings on it.
tools ... options ... encoding allows me to choose from a drop down list (I range between standard and insane, depending on the music). The advanced button only goes to a parameter list which repeats the chosen option, ie. ~insane or ~standard.

The Naivesoftware site is down for overhaul.

The site that plug-in manager points to suggests in the FAQs that MPC supports IDv1 tags, but does not suport IDv2 tags, and may support APE tags in the future. I am not sure when this was written, or whether it applies to the 'Micahel Rhoades' encoder used by MJ.
I cannot see anywhere in MJ to specify between the two tag formats (I seem to remember that it was there once though).

When looking at the format properties of some of my mpc files, they are showing "tag type: none"
After I analyze the replay gain, they show "tag type: ID3 1.1"

This (presumably) appends a tag with the replay gain data attached. This seems to work, but it does not copy the custom data (I presume this is a limitation of ID3 1.1). I will now have to analyze everything  and copy them across again.

1. How can I turn tags on the MPC file encoder?
2. How can I check to see what is actually tagged onto a file (as separate to what is in the library)

Many Thanks,
Pinner.

PS. your plugins page shows the latest mpc encoder to be 2.06
This dowbloads OK (according to the messages), but still reports itself as being 2.05 (even after a restart).
Is this an error on the plugin website page, or an error with the plugin itself, or just me again?
Pages: [1]   Go Up