INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit Resolution  (Read 1991 times)

hanarb

• Recent member
Bit Resolution
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

I downloaded trial version 15 yesterday.  This morning I purchased 16.1.  I am not sure that I downloaded either one correctly; however, I did follow all of the intrsuctions.  Also I previously had ripped CDs to my computer and MC 15 now shows those CDs in my library, and some of the CDs were ripped at 96 bit, some at 128 bit and some at 192 bit.  I have a new Sonos wireless system with a Audio Research DAC 8.  The DAC 8 is not showing that the bit it other than 44.1.  Help.

Jim Hancock

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
Re: Bit Resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »

I guess you are talking about files with different sample rates (44.1 kHz, 96kHz, never heard of 128kHz, 192kHz) you are trying to play
but your DAC only shows them to be played at 44.1kHz. Is that correct?

Maybe you could give a clue how Sonos, MC15 an DAC8 integrate in your system. Where do you connect the DAC8?

I downloaded trial version 15 yesterday.  This morning I purchased 16.1.  I am not sure that I downloaded either one correctly; however, I did follow all of the intrsuctions.  Also I previously had ripped CDs to my computer and MC 15 now shows those CDs in my library, and some of the CDs were ripped at 96 bit, some at 128 bit and some at 192 bit.  I have a new Sonos wireless system with a Audio Research DAC 8.  The DAC 8 is not showing that the bit it other than 44.1.  Help.

Jim Hancock

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:47:47 am »

Sonos is "redbook" only.  16/44.1 max.  No hires support for now with the Sonos.  And unlikely to ever support it with their current hardware.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

hanarb

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »

Chilli jam and Patrick. Thank you for your comments. I was told that Sonos supported audio with higher resolution than 16/44.1.  I will go on there web site and check this out.  My system is as follows:  New Sonos wireless from my computer to my integrated amp, a Musical Fidelity CD SACD player.   Audio Reserach DAC 8 connected to the Musical Fidelity Integrated amp, Martin Logan speakers.  My main goal was to download as many CDs onto my computer and have that available wirelessly in an upper living room for play.  Of course, the DAC 8 is as pure as it gets for a Digital to Analoge converter. Thanks for your comments.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:21:54 pm »

hanarb,

I know for a fact that Sonos is 16/44.1 only.

Sonos is a good bit of kit though.  Dont fret about it until you have a wealth of hires music to playback.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »

Also I previously had ripped CDs to my computer and MC 15 now shows those CDs in my library, and some of the CDs were ripped at 96 bit, some at 128 bit and some at 192 bit. 

MC has a column called bit rate.
If you see values like 128 or 192 you probably ripped your CDs to MP3 with a low bit rate.

If you play a MP3, it is expanded to a format a DAC can understand.
This will be 16 bits / 44.1 kHz most of the time

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:57:34 am »

Just for testing purpose you could connect your DAC8 directly to your computer via USB.
In MC you choose ASIO for playback and no other DSP so that MC sends your files with the original sample rates.
You should see DAC8 switching it's displayed sample rate.

Sonos seems to handle no more than 48kHz. Maybe you could just an USB cable to your DAC and skip Sonos.
You can control MC with Webremote on Ipod/Ipad or Gizmo although it's not eye candy.

hanarb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:05 am »

Thank all of you for the information.  I now understand and know that Sonos is 16/44.1 and not higher.  I want to do higher if I can. How I do not know at this time--DAC 8 supports a USB 2.0 HS.  How I connect the USB from one room to another is the question. The reason for the Sonos wireless was to get the stream from my office computer downstairs to the living room upstairs with no cables.    You are also correct that Sonos and DAC8 at 16/44.1 is awsome.  I will continue to work on the issue and let you know my final setup when I get there. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:24:04 am »

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:29:42 am »

Easy.  Squeezebox Touch.

It has digital or analog out. 

Decent enough to serve up music to a DAC, and I am sure the internal DAC would suffice in a 2nd system.

-Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up