INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended configuration...  (Read 1681 times)

KMorley

• Recent member
Recommended configuration...
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:46 am »

I have a Windows Server 2008 server that is holding all of my music files in a shared folder.  I have a networked PC with Media Center 15 and that's set to use the library on drive L:, which is the shared folder on the Windows Server. 

This configuration currently works well, but I want to enable additional computers running Media Center so I can play music from any of them.  I would also like to be able to rip new music and store to the library from any of the PCs.  Since the server is not in a easily accessible location, it's not practical to install Media Center there and go to the server to add music files.  Plus, I generally as a rule do not install user applications on servers.

I could add additional computers running Media Center and also have them pointed at drive L: (the server shared folder), but I don't know if there will be file conflicts or how practical it is to maintain multiple MC databases (one on each computer) and try to keep them all in sync.  I would appreciate a little guidance.

Can multiple MC computers share a library on one shared folder?  Any caveats?  How would you add music from one MC computer and have that reflected on the others?

What is the recommended way for doing this?  Should I just make the Windows Server a Media Center Server (a Library Server)?  If so, can I still add music from the individual MC computers or does that have to be done at the server? 

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recommended configuration...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

Multiple PC's can use one server's library.  Just run MC's Library Server on the server.  Choose to Start Media Server on Windows Startup.  It's in the options for startup.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recommended configuration...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:34:03 am »

Multiple PC's can use one server's library.  Just run MC's Library Server on the server.  Choose to Start Media Server on Windows Startup.  It's in the options for startup.

Except you can't rip from the library server clients, which was a requirement.

You might find this thread an interesting read.....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61577.0

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up