INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I store my Library on an External Hard Drive  (Read 1169 times)

rddawson

• Recent member
Can I store my Library on an External Hard Drive
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:42 am »

I am using a lap top with limited storage I would like to store my music on an external hard drive and run it from there. I can not figure out how to access the hard drive with out impoting the files. Is there a way to change the settings so Media Center regonizes the files on the hard drive with out having to import them to the program on my laptop

Gork

• Recent member
Re: Can I store my Library on an External Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:33 am »

I'm not sure what you're asking for here...  If you have music files already on your internal drive and you want to move them over to the external drive and only have MC recognize them in the one location, on your external drive, the easiest way would be to delete all your library entries then go to Tools -> Import.  Choose to either Import a single folder or Auto-Import and click Next.

For a single folder browse to the folder you want to import the pick the appropriate file types and click finish, after taking note of the other options available - "Ignore files..." and "Ignore special"...

For Auto-Import click add and browse to each location you want MC to always update the library with when files are added.  Take note of the options tasks at the bottom and click Finish.

ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR LIBRARY before making drastic changes like this so you can back pedal if necessary.  And note this method will only work if you have tagged audio files MC can use to rebuild the database in the library with.  (Tagged = MP3s, for example, which contain all artist, album, song etc. information embedded in the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up