INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going from XP to Windows 7 ---> Can I use Library Backup and Restore  (Read 2606 times)

jmlogan

• Recent member

I would appreciate any available insights from users more experienced with MC than I...

My whole-house music server is currently running MC 15 under Windows XP, and I am about to upgrade to Windows 7.  Assuming I leave all of the music and cover art files in their current locations, can I simply do a library backup on my current XP setup, install Windows 7 and MC15, and then restore my XP library backup in Windows 7?  If so, that's great, but I keep thinking there must be some reason this simple approach won't work properly.

Also, I am running three separate zones off the three channels of my sound card.  If I'm going to take the approach described above, do I set these zones up before I do the library restore, or is the zone configuration information included in the backup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim L.
25 February 2011

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Going from XP to Windows 7 ---> Can I use Library Backup and Restore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

I would appreciate any available insights from users more experienced with MC than I...

My whole-house music server is currently running MC 15 under Windows XP, and I am about to upgrade to Windows 7.  Assuming I leave all of the music and cover art files in their current locations, can I simply do a library backup on my current XP setup, install Windows 7 and MC15, and then restore my XP library backup in Windows 7?  If so, that's great, but I keep thinking there must be some reason this simple approach won't work properly.

Also, I am running three separate zones off the three channels of my sound card.  If I'm going to take the approach described above, do I set these zones up before I do the library restore, or is the zone configuration information included in the backup?
XP to Win7 should work.  I'm not sure about zones, but try it.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »

The only thing that I can think of that may cause any sort of issue would be the difference in user folder structure between XP and Win 7.
I would back the entire J River Application Data folder not just the library.
XP
%userprofile%\Application Data\J River\Media Center 15\
Win7
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 15\

Also if you have any additional/custom skins I would also backup the skins folder.
Sean

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »

We can't recommend copying directories for the purpose of updating.  It may or may not work. 

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »

We can't recommend copying directories for the purpose of updating.  It may or may not work. 

Mileage may vary but I have never had any trouble, my user folder is not on the system drive though.
Granted due to my non standard folder location I am not making a copy but I don't see how that would
change anything.
Just a thought.
Sean

jmlogan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:32 am »

Thanks for the advice.

I will give it a shot and report back.

Jim L.
26 February 2011

jmlogan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

Just to close the loop for the benefit of anyone in similar circumstances:

After installing Windows 7 and MC 15, I set up the 3 zones I use and restored my library BU from XP.  Worked just fine.  Thanks for the help.

Jim L.
26 February 2011Just to close h

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:59 pm »

Thanks very much for reporting the result.

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:14 am »

As Scolex said, make sure you check your Temporary files and Library Backups locations in the Options. XP used c:\Documents and Settings and you may run into troubles in the future if you don't change them to use the new Windows 7 c:\users locations. At least I did.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up