INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromium integrated browser not working  (Read 3620 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Chromium integrated browser not working
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:42:48 am »

It appears I'm the only one that the Chromium integrated browser is not working for. It doesn't matter what web page I select (e.g. Google link, YouTube, etc.), I just get a blank screen. If I select say Playing Now again MC dies. I have never installed IE9 and have IE8 and Firefox installed. Is there some other setting I'm supposed to do?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Chromium integrated browser not working
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:57 am »

Did you try rebooting?  Or reinstalling?

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:02 am »

I did reboot recently. The browser never worked on this work machine from the first MC version it was introduced. I didn't say anything because I thought perhaps the first introduction might have had problems and the next version would work.

Just to make sure it wasn't totally me again, I checked my home machine this morning and it does display the web pages. However after clicking around to a few different areas, I did get an MC has to close error message. Both machines are running Win 7.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:50 am »

Does the Chrome browser work on it?

Mediahome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:28:39 am »

I randomly get a black screen when changing to full screen mode with the Chromium browser.  Closing MC and restarting it seems to resolve it but it will happen again randomly.  ?

I have not spent much time trying to figure this out because MC is not usable now for me because I require the hardware acceleration that is available in IE9.  Looking forward to when Microsoft fixes the bug so that I can use IE 9 with MC 16 again.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:15 am »

Windows firewall (Or work's firewall) hasn't silently blocked MC has it?
I'm not sure of the ins and outs of this, but MC may have been allowed before because it was embedding IE :)

-Leezer-

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:49 pm »

I think Leezer might have come upon the problem. We use McAfee firewall at work and they throw all these rules in to block everything. I looked at the activity log of the firewall and there are a ton of lines like:
Description:    Media Center (Media Center 16.exe)
Path:       C:\PROGRAM FILES\J RIVER\MEDIA CENTER 16\MEDIA CENTER 16.EXE
Message:    Blocked Incoming UDP -  Source FE80:0000:0000:0000:159C:B590:5CD5:6524 :  (60064)  Destination FF02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:000C :  (1900)

I tried creating a rule to permit UDP for MC but since it gets put at the bottom of the rules and the rules are processed top down, if something is specifically blocking it above, it will never get run. I did see rules allowing IE and Mozilla but no Chrome.

I have not tried Chrome because I really didn't want to install another browser, but I will do so in the morning if needed since I won't be able to get to it today.

It still doesn't answer the occasional problem (sounds like MeidaHome's problem too) for at home when the problem happens randomly.

EDIT: I forgot to say that at work it didn't die immediately one time and was sitting there while I was typing this up. It then gave this error:
There was a problem loading the web page:
url listed
Please double-check your connection and the web page you are trying to load.
Error code: -118
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »

I wouldn't spend a lot of time chasing this yet.  Our Chromium project is still winding the long road.  Hopefully, it will be settled this week.

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:45:05 am »

OK, I decided to install Chrome and it works fine. In fact that's what I'm using right now to enter this message. So Chrome works but the Chromium engine in MC doesn't. At least it doesn't kill MC like it used to. I just get a blank page and then can hit the Back button to get to the previous page. I can set the links like Google to open in an external browser and that works fine. It's just nothing inside MC will work.

What else should I try? Or if this is possibly a firewall problem, how can I set the areas like YouTube, Netflix, etc. to open in an external browser?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:08:56 am »

OK, I decided to install Chrome and it works fine. In fact that's what I'm using right now to enter this message. So Chrome works but the Chromium engine in MC doesn't. At least it doesn't kill MC like it used to. I just get a blank page and then can hit the Back button to get to the previous page. I can set the links like Google to open in an external browser and that works fine. It's just nothing inside MC will work.

What else should I try? Or if this is possibly a firewall problem, how can I set the areas like YouTube, Netflix, etc. to open in an external browser?
Security software might be a factor.  What are you running?  Can you disable it?

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »

Security software might be a factor.  What are you running?  Can you disable it?
McAfee. It has Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0.0 which is the firewall. I disabled that and the web pages inside MC still don't work. Any other ideas?
I guess the good thing is I don't use the web page capabilities too much at work since I mostly listen to audio but if it's affecting other people, it would be nice to solve it.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:46 pm »

Could you send me a log showing Media Center try to load the web page and it failing?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »

Thanks for the log.

Could you also send me a screenshot of what it looks like inside Media Center?

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:54:47 am »

Could you also send me a screenshot of what it looks like inside Media Center?
Sent.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:12 am »

Thanks for the screenshot.

It's reporting error -118 trying to reach amazon.com.

Error -118 is a timeout (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT).

Do all websites timeout with a -118, or only Amazon?  Are you going through a proxy?  Is it possible your network or virus software filters requests with certain user agents or something?

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 09:32:41 am »

I just got Wikipedia, YouTube, and Netflix to time out with the -118. Yes, I'm going through a proxy. When you had IE embedded it probably used the IE proxy settings. What do you use for Chromium? You lost me on the last question. I verified previously with the firewall disabled didn't help. I can use IE, Firefox, and Chrome with no problem.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:31 am »

The Chromium engine honors manual proxy configuration, but ignores automatic detection.

Could you try manually configuring your proxy in case you have it set to auto-configure?

This has some more details:
http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/issues/detail?id=81

Thanks, and please let us know if this is the issue.  Hopefully if it is we can figure out how to support automatic configuration.

dcwebman

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

That's it. Unfortunately even in the past when I have configured IE manually, somehow IT changes the setting to be the automatic detection. But at least now I know if I need to use it inside MC, I need to go change the proxy. Thanks.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up