INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art not propagating from Library Server to Client  (Read 2000 times)

Invent

• Recent member
Cover art not propagating from Library Server to Client
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »

Both server and client are 16.0.39. Fresh Windows 7 installs on all machines.

The server has the Media Network enabled, and has a library of media. The client(s) has no library, and is connected to the server only.

In the server and client, I can see the album art when looking at any Library View (this is good). I.e., definitely some cover art is getting to the client app.

Here is the interesting part:

In the client, if I right click on a particular track for an Album, and select "View (first file)" or "Cover Art" -> "View (first file)", nothing displays! If I do the same on the server, the cover art pops up fine. On the client, if I change from pointing to a Library Server to a local library - cover art pops up fine. Finally, if I try a bunch of times by repetitively right clicking and doing "View (first file)" I can occasionally get a pop up that says

"Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location. Error Details: Image failed to load."

Interesting thing is, as mentioned above - I can see the cover art in the main screen. Just can't pop the cover art with "View (first file)" or via the API <-- the big issue!

Now, why do I care? :)

On some clients, I use NetRemote MediaBridge (which connects to J River Media Center via the Windows Message API, for touchscreen control of the MC client). When moving to the client/server Media Network approach, the client cannot get the album art via the API (very bad  :'( ). This sent me down the path (above) which allows the problem to be replicated with just the server/client and takes NetRemote totally out of the picture.

Any help is hugely appreciated. This breaks the ability to use MC as a server/client model with the clients running NetRemote touchscreens. Very much a bummer!

P.S., replicated with multiple clients, and by reversing the client/server machines. So I don't think it is machine dependent.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover art not propagating from Library Server to Client
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

I think 16.0.42 had a cover art change.  It's at the top of the MC16 board.

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »

OK... trying now, and will post results -thanks!

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:44:23 pm »

OK, finished testing.

Same issue - no change in behavior.

This should be very easy to replicate... if anyone wants to give it a shot :)

help :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »

Is the art in the music files?

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »

I have several variants in the library. Some that are in the media file, some that are in folder.jpg. (I can see this, as I've turned on the "Image File" column)

Note that all behave the same, and produce this;

Here is a view of the client, right before that error pops (note that all the art seems happy in this view)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »

What OS are the Netremote touchscreens running?

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »

Netremote and Media Bridge are not installed on these machines (to simplify / work on this issue)

I just have a server with MC 16.0.42, and a client with MC 16.0.42 pointed at the server, and right clicking on the file and selecting "View (first file)" gets the bug.

I think if we can get past this issue, I can add the NetRemote and MediaBridge back into the mess and see if the API is now happy, also.

With that said - to answer your question, The NetRemote clients are on both Windows XP, and Windows 7 machines. The machine they connect to that runs the MC client is running MediaBridge. So the config looks like this:

I simplified it to this:

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »

Some settings I found, and played with, to no change in behavior...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:27:52 pm »

Nice drawings.  The reason I asked is that MC might take the place of NetRemote.  The Media Network board here has several possibilities.  MC itself, Tremote, and WebRemote.  Gizmo on Android can also be the remote control.

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »

Ah, Understood! :)

[tangent]

I use Netremote, because the touchscreens also control lighting, SageTV, security, ip cameras, weather... (etc) in addition to controlling a multi-zone MC setup. I have multiple in-wall touchscreens and 802.11 clients homed to the same Girder / MediaBridge setup.

I do use MC clients on the PCs in the house to get at audio casually. And in fact, one critical listening machine I have uses a Benchmark DA1 driven from a MC client, wherein MC simply *ROCKS* because of the 192KHz/24-bit direct audio support. :)

So while MC clients are spiffy, and even the HTPC tilt is very well done, the total whole-home automation angle isn't there. If the UI was customizable... well,.... now we're talkin'! (would love to see MC do this, the UI is very contemporary)

[/tangent/]

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »

OK, I've tried *everything* I can think of - could someone confirm this for me so that it can get filed as a bug?

help.... Thanks!

Invent

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 04:30:24 pm »

I don't think anyone is watching this thread, but, just updating it to say that 16.0.49 did not fix this bug.

I hope someone can confirm, or help, with this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up