INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering video with Arcsoft Total Media after installing J River 16  (Read 6254 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,
Having stuttering and tearing DVD and some Blu ray in Arcsoft Total Media after installing J River MC 16.
Had this issue before when enabling Video support in J River MC 15. Had to reinstall windows  as re-installing J River and Arcsoft Total Media didn't fix it.
It doesn't seem to affect TV and DVD in Windows Media Centre. Any thoughts or Help? i don't want to reinstall windows to fix this and not be without j river MC 16.

My System is
Windows 7 64
Intel HD graphics i3 CPU
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Re: Stuttering video with Arcsoft Total Media after installing J River 16
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

Am I correct in assuming that your stuttering and tearing is occurring in ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, the component player in the Arcsoft Total Media suite?  Check to see if you have the latest versions for your ArcSoft programs, each of them has 'upgrade-checking' wizards that are accessible when you run the programs.

You didn't indicate if you are using TotalMedia Theatre 5 or TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum).
TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum) has some bells and whistles not found in TotalMedia Theatre non-platinum.
I don't know if there is a difference in the engines - and without checking I would presume that there shouldn't be.

On my computer I have:
ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme 2.0.6.6
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum) 3.0.1.185
J River Media Center 16.0.42

--> I do not have Windows Media Player.
--> I do not have Windows Media Center.

However, in contrast to you, I am experiencing DVD stuttering in J River Media Center but not in "TotalMedia Theatre..."

My system is
Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit)
Intel i7 960
NVIDIA Geforce 580 x 2 (SLI)

Edit: Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:05:06 am »

Am I correct in assuming that your stuttering and tearing is occurring in ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, the component player in the Arcsoft Total Media suite?  Check to see if you have the latest versions for your ArcSoft programs, each of them has 'upgrade-checking' wizards that are accessible when you run the programs.

You didn't indicate if you are using TotalMedia Theatre 5 or TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum).
TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum) has some bells and whistles not found in TotalMedia Theatre non-platinum.
I don't know if there is a difference in the engines - and without checking I would presume that there shouldn't be.

On my computer I have:
ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme 2.0.6.6
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 (Platinum) 3.0.1.185
J River Media Center 16.0.42

--> I do not have Windows Media Player.
--> I do not have Windows Media Center.

However, in contrast to you, I am experiencing DVD stuttering in J River Media Center but not in "TotalMedia Theatre..."

My system is
Windows 7 SP2 (64 bit)
Intel i7 960
NVIDIA Geforce 580 x 2 (SLI)

Yes in arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre the stuttering was occurring. using Arcsoft 5 with latest patch.

It seems to be ok now, it might be with just a couple of DVD's i watched. Will post back if the problem happens again.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:39:30 am »

The stuttering that is continuing to occur in my Media Center was not related to ArcSoft. The stuttering continued even after I uninstalled and deleted TotalMedia, its subsidiary programs, registry items, and Windows system items containing an Arcsoft or TotalMedia identifier.  There are several posts addressing Media Center video stuttering, with suggestions for correction, that for me appear to be time involving and complex which is why I am presently viewing my DVD's with TotalMedia Theater (with its persuasive SimHD).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:45:25 am »

It may be a DirectShow problem.  The wiki has information on DS and DVD playback.  Installing CCCP usually works.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:05 am »

It may be a DirectShow problem.  The wiki has information on DS and DVD playback.  Installing CCCP usually works.

Thanks Jim, will followup on your recommendation tonight. :)

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:22:21 am »

Am back...

Okay, so I installed the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) - which makes it a first time event for me. On principle I don't install codec packs especially after having read warnings that codec packs have been known to evoke codec incompatibilities, media player problems, or system instabilities. Known risk factors and causes could be if one (a) indiscriminately installs the full contents of mega sized variants of codec packs instead of filtering only ones needed or (b) the codec pack contains out dated codecs that cause conflicts with programs or other codecs.

However, CCCP has a reputation for being 'up-to'date' and historically problem free, in addition to being recommended by Jim  :)  

Now that I got that prelude out of the way here's what happened...
First, before installing CCCP I ran CCCP Insurgent to detect if I had any pre-existing codec packs installed on my computer, as expected there were none.  Then I installed CCCP only to find that...

1. MC 16 still stuttered when playing a DVD.
2. I then uninstalled CCCP using both the program's uninstall routine plus running my 3rd party install/uninstall monitor utility.
3. After uninstalling CCCP I relaunched MC only to be greeted by a dialogue window reading:

The application 'Media Center 15.exe' has made an attempt to load ffdshow.
This dialog is shown because this application is not listed in the ffdshow whitelist or blacklist.
Your choice will be applied to both audio and video, if both are used.
[select from]
Don't use ffdshow. (just this once)
Don't use ffdshow. (always)
Use ffdshow. (just this once)
Use ffdshow. (always)

If that MC reaction sounds familiar, it is; it was discussed in the ffdshow compatibility manager popup when starting MC post located at  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62867.0 where a thread developed offering recommendations for recovering/installing latest version of ffdshow when that warning appears.

As I wrote earlier there are several posts addressing Media Center video stuttering, with suggestions for correction, that for me appear to be time involving and complex.  I was hoping that installing CCCP would be a simple solution for me, but it wasn't.  

Fortunately I was prepared for all this. Prior to installing CCCP I created a system image of my computer.
A few minutes ago I restored my computer from my system image backup.  

Thanks for the suggestion, since I do have another media player which for me plays DVDs problem free, I prefer to just standby on this issue.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Re: Stuttering video resolved
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:49 am »

MC DVD Stuttering Resolved
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output mode: WASAPI - Event Style
Tools > Options > Video > Audio for Video, DVD, & Television > Playback device: Same as device used in audio playback

I changed my Audio output from ASIO to WASAPI - Event Style.
(with my hardware the standard WASAPI did not relieve the stuttering)

Got the idea from Matt's discussion
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59460.msg402736#msg402736

But now I have to decide if I really want to leave ASIO and switch to WASAPI - Event Style.  Unless the technology has changed ASIO remains the only way to get bit matched playback with Creative X-Fi cards.

---------------
Win 7 (64-bit)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
GeForce 580 (2XSLI)

Pages: [1]   Go Up