INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Portable Installation  (Read 1531 times)

Taggert

• Recent member
Updating Portable Installation
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:47:04 am »

I'm currently using a portable installation of MC 15 without having a full installation on any computer.
Therefor I had to do the following steps:
a. Make an OS image of my Notebook
b. Fully install MC 15 with license
c. Attach my portable HDD to the Notebook
d. Install MC 15 portable to the attached HDD
e. Restore the Notebook by image made in step a.

That process was painful but it works.

Now I tried to update the portable installation, but the installer told me that this is only possible if I have a license - thought I pointed the installer to the correct folder.

Now It seems to me that always a full installation is needed to do a portable installation and that I have to repeat the above mentioned process again. Is this correct or did I miss something?

Christoph

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Updating Portable Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:35:37 am »

You need a fully licensed standard install in order to install licensed portable installations.
This is I think to protect the licensing system.

The portable install is portable as in you can take that portable installation and run it on any machine you like even though that other machine does not have a license on it.
Effectively the standard installation transfers part of the license to move with the portable installation.

If you're looking to never need a standard installation then yes you'd have to keep doing the imaging tasks you mention - however it would be a complete ball ache so I think there would not be much point!
Easier to just have a standard installation on one machine somewhere for performing upgrades.  Other than a small amount of disk space it won't take up any resources when not running.

The standard install does not need to be up to date.  For example I think my standard install is on build 1 where as my portable install is on build 42

Taggert

• Recent member
Re: Updating Portable Installation
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »

Ok, that's what I've expected. But asked just to be sure. But in fact I can not understand why it shouldn't be possible to update a LICENSED portable Installation!?

Thank you very much for your information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up