INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost ability to connect to internet  (Read 3212 times)

jeffbinla

• Recent member
Lost ability to connect to internet
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

Hello,

I have been a use for about 7 months now and have never had any problems.  This week I was unable to cinnect to my server through Gizmo.  When I got home i went t Media Center and tried to test the connection to your server and received  the message saying that i was unable to connect through the internet and I could use it on my home network and suggested that I might need to open up my router to port 52199.

Well...I originally set up my router to open port 52199 and it has always worked.  I re-looked in my router and everything is still set properly.  I looked in my firewall and made sure that all of the JRiver or media center line items had full permission.  They all do.  Still not able to connect.  I turned off my firewall...still not able to connect.

Very frustrated and really need to get this working again.

Can you help please???

Jeff - Los Angeles

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lost ability to connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:56:42 pm »

If you're doing port forwarding of 52199, maybe the destination (the MC server) has a new IP address.  At a command prompt, type "ipconfig".

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »

I checked ipconfig and nothing has changed at all.    Is there any way to talk to someone directly to help me troubleshoot this?  Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »

I checked ipconfig and nothing has changed at all.    Is there any way to talk to someone directly to help me troubleshoot this?  Thank you.
This is support. 

The Network Access article on the wiki would be worth reading.

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

Yes.. I thoroughly read that page when I set this up and re-read it again today.  I have followed all of the steps and like I said...it WAS working for me.  Now it isn't.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

Yes.. I thoroughly read that page when I set this up and re-read it again today.  I have followed all of the steps and like I said...it WAS working for me.  Now it isn't.
You might try powering everything down, then back up.

I'm sorry if you feel we should help more, but this is apparently a network configuration issue and not an MC problem.

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »

I've restarted the modem, router, and computer,  I checked my router port mapping and everything is set right.  I opened up my fierwall and checked application permissions as well as making sure my firewall had the port set to open.  I even disabled my firewall entirely.  I work as a computer technician, so I know my way around these things and everything is working fine on my computer except for Media Center.

I had it working for months! Surely there is something else I might be missing...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:51 pm »

Try getting a new Access Key.

Try updating to the latest build.

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:19 am »

Currently at 15.0.174  I dont see a newer one.  Is there one I should upgrade to?  Afraid to upgrade to 16 if I have trouble with 15...

Got a new access code but it didn't connect to your server either.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:17 pm »

I've restarted the modem, router, and computer,  I checked my router port mapping and everything is set right.  I opened up my fierwall and checked application permissions as well as making sure my firewall had the port set to open.  I even disabled my firewall entirely.  I work as a computer technician, so I know my way around these things and everything is working fine on my computer except for Media Center.

I had it working for months! Surely there is something else I might be missing...

Jeff, can you connect to MC from another computer inside your router? What happens when you open a browser and type (yourserverip):52199? How about when you try it from the server machine?

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »

ok...here's the deal.  my router had 10.0.1.12 set up under port mapping 52199 and I used to connect perfectly.  When I open my router it says 10.0.1.2 on the main panel of the airport extreme settings.  When I type 10.0.1.1:52199 into my browser nothing is found. When I type 10.0.1.12:52199 into my browser nothing is found,  when I type 10.0.1.2 into my browser it finds the media library.  When I change my port mapping to 10.0.1.2 in my router settings and go back into the program and test the connection, it still doesn't find your server.  Please tell me what I need to change. 

Thank you

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:07:20 pm »

can I send you screen shots of my settings?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 02:45:01 pm »

A router has an inside and an outside address.  The Network Access article explains that.

If you're outside your LAN, you need to use the outside address and it needs to be forwarded to the correct machine on the inside.

From inside, you can connect directly to the machine.

jeffbinla

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »

My network is always inside my LAN.  I only connect from the outside on my android device using Gizmo.  My setting shave never changed.  I've reads the wiki.  What am I missing here.  Why cant I see your sewrver from my computer that is inside my Lan.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

jeffbinla,

You're fighting against yourself.  On one hand, you say nothing has changed.  Later you seem to be indicating that you discover your computer's IP has changed.

Show the actual output from ipconfig /all

Show the actual output of your router's LAN ip page.

This will allow others to help you.

It appears that your system's IP has changed - this can happen, when using DHCP, if another system has the same IP address when DHCP is requesting an IP address.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up