INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to close  (Read 1578 times)

Henrik

• Recent member
Unable to close
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:37 am »

This is maby at the wrong place but I was never able to play dvd or blu-ray throu MC15 and is not able to do it throu MC16. I have sofwere thath works. I can play and rip cd.s. An other problem (mayby has to do whith the first) is thath I seams to be unable to close MC in a prper way. Well I tried everything (install and uninstall softwere etc) but havent uninstalled and reinstalled MC or Windows 7. Is there something to try before going thath far?                                                 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unable to close
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:00 am »

Please describe what happens when you try to close MC.

If you're running Media Server, MC will run in the background and you'll see it in Task Manager.  That's normal.

MC won't play or rip Blu-ray.

Henrik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

Well. I can close MC from theater view withhout problem.  But otherwise I get a message that it did not close allright and the whole picture goes dim or grey.

And I'm asked to close or to search in the web to solve the problem.

I didnt know I couldnt play blue ray but I cant even play ordenry DVD.

Is it because my player is blu ray as well?

Do you plan for a later version where you can play bd with MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »

Well. I can close MC from theater view withhout problem.  But otherwise I get a message that it did not close allright and the whole picture goes dim or grey.
That's very odd.  What happens if you wait a longer time?

Henrik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »

Dont know. Now I tested to close via exit on normal wiwew. Whitout problem. Before whwn I couldnt close I got a message that MC wasnt closed prpebly and if the problem remained I should re-install. Well, my biggest problem is the dvd-problem so I ask again: If my media center-computer is able to play bd does that mean that I cant play any dvd thrue jriver??

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

No, MC handles DVD playback fine as long as you have a proper set of decoding filters installed (which are included with Windows 7 but not earlier versions of Windows).  BluRay playback is an entirely different beast.  The main problem is licensing fees.  In order to write an application that handles native BluRay playback, you have to pay quite-large patent licensing fees and certification fees, which would drive up the cost of MC for everyone.  I believe MC can handle BluRay playback now with the right set of filters installed IF you use a decryption tool like AnyDVD HD, but your best bet would be to ask jmone to comment.  He knows the deal with that.

The crashing problem sounds like either:

1) A directshow filter problem (if the filter thread is locked, it will block the main EXE from closing).
2) A driver problem, probably video card.

Guess #2 is probably less likely since you said it works fine from within Theater View (video card driver issues typically appear in Theater View, not the other way around), but either is possible.

Any guess at all what playback filter sets you have installed on there?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Henrik

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:15 am »

Thanks for answer. My friend who is good at computers has the identical system whithout problems. After severel hours of tesing everything (he runs my computer from distans via a program) we decided for the final selution: Uninstall and reinstall everything: windows 7 and all. The sad thing that I dont have the music I want in one map so I have to spent a lot of time to get the music in again (I hae a lot of music on my external computer that I dont want so I cant just run autoimport). But I will copy your answer here and give it to him ad see if this helps him before we go ahead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up