INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragginng a field by mistake results in changing tag??  (Read 2511 times)

mschneid

• World Citizen
Dragginng a field by mistake results in changing tag??
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »

Wow

Seems like mC 16 allow you to drag one selection and then change the tags of what you land on...

Not a fan!.... This is way to easy to screw up your tags.... especially with no reverse these changes options.  Presuming you catch your self.

Is there  a way to turn this ehm... feature...  off?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: draging a field by mistake results in changing tag??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:02 am »

Just like dropping files in Explorer to a different folder moves them, dropping files in Media Center on an artist, etc. will change the tag to the value you drop on.  This works in the tree and panes.

However, there is a confirmation dialog that shows exactly what will be changed.  If you checked 'Don't show this message again', you can reset this in Options > General > Advanced > Reset all confirmation messages...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »

Wow

Seems like mC 16 allow you to drag one selection and then change the tags of what you land on...

Not a fan!.... This is way to easy to screw up your tags.... especially with no reverse these changes options.  Presuming you catch your self.

Is there  a way to turn this ehm... feature...  off?

I've commented on this problem before and received an instant dismissal.  I've been using MC for about 5 years and this UI behavior still scares me.  I put a lot of effort into getting my music collection ripped and tagged the way I want it.  I'd hate to have my library screwed up by UI behavior I don't want and am not usually thinking of.

I am especially concerned that my wife will have trouble with this feature.  I've tried to get her to the point where she feels comfortable using MC to play music.  If I have to warn her about UI behavior like this, she will stop trying to use MC.

Matt, mschneid and I are commenting about MC's functional behavior.  You seem to see this discussion as being about consistency with general Windows UI behavior.  Perhaps you could think about the possibility of a solution that provides the safety and simplicity we want while preserving UI consistency you consider important.

---
A comment on the value of sticking with Windows UI conventions.  I spent a lot of time helping other people solve problems with PC audio.  I always considered having facility with basic Windows UI manipulation to be a starting point for learning to use a new application like MC.  I find that most people using PCs today do not have a sound understanding of Windows UI concepts or adequate skills in using the Windows UI.  Just surfing the menus and right-click menus to find the command you want is way beyond the skill level of most people using Windows now.

Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »

Matt, mschneid and I are commenting about MC's functional behavior.  You seem to see this discussion as being about consistency with general Windows UI behavior.  Perhaps you could think about the possibility of a solution that provides the safety and simplicity we want while preserving UI consistency you consider important.

I don't think it's possible to make changes without the program confirming the action with a dialog that explains exactly what it is doing.  Are you seeing something different?  If so, please provide details.

This is the compromise between safety and consistency, and it seems reasonable to me.

From a high level, it's logical that dropping stuff on Aerosmith would add that stuff to my Aerosmith collection.  If the drop action is a little ambiguous or drastic like this case, it should ask (and we do).

A comment on the value of sticking with Windows UI conventions.

You mean like use the menu at the top of the program to do stuff?  Oh wait...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

Drag-drop tagging on the tree is awesome.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »

Slightly related-
I've posted this before, but is there any chance of being able to disable the dialog when you change tags for a large number of files?
Really, really becomes a pain in the neck when you're editing albums with 100s of files in them :)

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:54:23 am »

Some discussion was split here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63154.0

Please copy and paste any pieces that were actually on topic.  It wasn't a completely clean split.
Pages: [1]   Go Up