INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lose settings & playlists every time I upgrade  (Read 1466 times)

mkyle

• Recent member
Lose settings & playlists every time I upgrade
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »

Every time I upgrade this program I lose my playlists and settings (ex: gapless searching).  What am I doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lose settings & playlists every time I upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

You can back up your library in MC15 and restore it in MC16.  At the same point, you can restore your settings.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:36 pm »

Every time I upgrade this program I lose my playlists and settings (ex: gapless searching).  What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean when upgrading from build-to-build within the same "major version" of MC?  That shouldn't happen.  Or do you mean when you went from v15 to v16?  That should, but you can use Jim's suggestion to re-import your settings.

If it is just when you upgrade to a new build of the MC16, then are you uninstalling old builds first?  You don't need to.  You can, if you want (or if something has gone wrong), but you have to make sure to de-select the default option to remove your settings and/or library when you run through the uninstaller.  But, don't bother unless you have an issue (which hasn't happened to me in a long, long while).  Just install the new one "over top" of the old one.  If something is really weird, uninstall (saving settings), reboot, and then reinstall; but this is rare.

If you aren't uninstalling first, and it is still losing all of your settings whenever you upgrade, something non-standard is happening.  Are you running on some sort of weird limited user account?  Bound to a domain?  I don't know if those things could cause issues (domains should generally work, I have one at the office and MC works fine), but who knows... Something to check.  Also, do you have one of those program install/uninstall manager applications on your machine?  How about a registry "protector"?  (Both generally useless and often evil, though certain uninstall trackers can be useful if used very sparingly.)  How about weird permissions errors in the file system?  Specifically, check your C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\J River folder (hidden, and that's the Vista/7 location, XP is different but similar) and make sure your user has write permissions and ownership of the folder.  You should have ownership on your entire user folder, frankly, including hidden folders.  Also check read-only status for the files in Windows.

The last thing I can think of is if the registry keys itself actually has permissions errors, but that should impact you every time you close and re-open MC (which would also probably be the case with the user AppData directory too, but those issues might be more subtle).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mkyle

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »

Nothing special with the PC.. no domain, no ownership issues, only one user account.  50/50 chance that it will lose playlists on a minor upgrade, 100% with majors.  Is there maybe a size limit?  I'm out of ideas, except for the nuclear option.  You'd think that by now I'd have realized I should be exporting them regularly for safe keeping, but noooo...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:57 am »

50/50 chance that it will lose playlists on a minor upgrade

This should never happen.  I've been upgrading builds for years and I've NEVER seen it happen.  On major upgrades (ie v15 to v16) you have to re-import your settings and library, as it starts fresh.

You never answered if you were uninstalling old builds before upgrading.  If you are doing that, don't do it anymore.  Other than that, something is weird on your system because this is not normal.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up