INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashing, locks entire PC  (Read 2228 times)

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
MC crashing, locks entire PC
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »

Hi guys

I'm having some serious problems with MC. I'm using the latest version but i have been having the same issues with all v 16 builds and also had similar problems in MC15.

MC is constantly locking up. PC becomes unusable and I have to cut the power to restart.

It is related to videos. Importing videos or updating tags from library or updating library from tags or trying to add a data dvd with mkv files all cause MC to crash regularly. Today i have had to cut the power to my PC at least 10 times.

Initially i thought it was related to building thumbnails but now I'm not so sure, as it still locked up even after disabling video thumbs. MC is more prone to crash when xml tagging is enabled, but it still crashes often without it enabled.

I tried uninstalling/re-installing MC, uninstalled K-Lite codec pack and installed CCCP pack, even uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials. None of these had any impact.

I sure would be grateful for any assistance. Thanks.

I'm using Win7 SP1 64 bit.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC constantly crashing, locks entire PC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:28 pm »

Try updating your video drivers.

Bad video drivers can cause big troubles if their hardware acceleration doesn't work well.  For example, we had a reproducible situation here where stock ATI Windows 7 video drivers on a fairly modern card would BSOD any time two videos were loaded at the same time, despite the videos being in different processes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC crashing, locks entire PC
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »

You don't have IE9 RC installed, do you?

Sauzee

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:16:27 pm »

No, never had any version of IE9.

It's just video related. I can play/tag music for hours without any problems.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

Try changing DirectShow filters, but what about video drivers?

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

I did change the video driver when i first had the problem, but it didn't seem to help.

But its worth another try, so I'll give it a go and let you know.

Sauzee

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:37:58 am »

OK, I updated to the latest ATI driver and it made no difference.

I notice MC crashes far less often if i disable video thumbs. Enable it and it locks up within 30 seconds of going to a video library view. But it has also crashed when updating tags from library or files. Also locks up sometimes during video playback. This morning skipping in 30 sec jumps through mkv files for example.

I have tried other media players and everything appears to be fine. Also Windows explorer has no problems building video thumbs.I'm baffled. I've used MC for years and never had an issue as bad as this. The worst thing is that 90% of the time MC locks the entire PC, and I can't do anything without cutting power to it. The other 10% of the time i can still use the PC but i can't kill MC process from task manager.

As for direct show filters, where do I start? Everything in MC and CCCP (and previously k-lite pack) is set to default.

Just to add that just before MC locks up the PC the mouse becomes very jumpy. But process explorer indicated that there is plenty CPU, memory power still available .I'm using a AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:15:11 pm »

See if you can determine which filetypes are problems.  Set up a test library with a single filetype, then another, etc.

In MC Options for the filetype that is found to cause the problem, change the setting for playback.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »

I'd Prime95 that beast.  Sounds like it could be unstable hardware.  Maybe run a pass in FutureMark too to see if it is GPU related.

If not hardware, then I'd guess DirectShow filters.  If not that, then possibly even particular one bad file that keeps hanging up a process when MC tries to Thumbnail it (to check this, try running with a test library of just a few known-good files, and see if the problem goes away).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sauzee

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

I've spent hours on this and still not sure how to solve it.

I don't think it is hardware related. My PC is very stable other than this issue with MC. I did run Prime95 and there were no problems.

Even at 100% CPU on Prime95 mose movement is smooth. It's often jerky on MC.

I created lots of test libraries and identified some problems with mkv and m4v files. I tried changing filters but to be honest i don't really know what I'm doing on that score. Unlike with audio, with video I just like to catalogue it and play it. I have no knowledge of which filters are best and always leave them at default. Anyway it was still locking up with the alternative filters I tried.

MC is the only app which can lock my PC. Even when it crashes but doesn't lock the PC, I can't kill MC16.exe process and that prevents me re-booting PC normally. Why is MC's exe so difficult to stop?

Any ideas on what filters i should be using for mkv and m4v files would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »

I created lots of test libraries and identified some problems with mkv and m4v files. I tried changing filters but to be honest i don't really know what I'm doing on that score.
glynor wrote the book on this.  It's the DLNA article on our Wiki.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:14:26 am »

Please try MC 16.063 from the top of this board.  If it's still a problem, post here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63461.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up