INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ack! I Just Lost a Big Part of My Tree  (Read 1470 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Ack! I Just Lost a Big Part of My Tree
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:02:18 am »

I renamed my existing "Advanced (All Files)" top-level view back to just vanilla "Advanced" because I couldn't remember why it was named so clumsily, and I didn't like it.  Because of the hacky way they originally got rid of the old "Advanced" view (forcing us to recreate them manually), this view now vanished, taking all of it's carefully crafted sub-views along with it.  I don't know how to get it back!!  Help!  I do NOT want to have to recreate all of those views from scratch, and I'd rather not restore from a backup because I just did a bunch of tagging tonight, and moved files all around when I was done.

Why is this weird behavior still in there?  Why can't I have a top-level view called "Advanced", and if I can't do it, why does it let me do it and then "eat" the view!?!?

Can someone help me?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Ack! I Just Lost a Big Part of My Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:19 am »

I wonder if you can quit MC, and just copy and replace the "view state (data).jmd" and "view state (index).jmd" files in the Library directory from a backup?

[Edit: Marko provides the correct file names below]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:43 am »

That's a good idea MrC. I think it will work. I was going to suggest exporting the library, restoring backup, clearing library content, and importing the export.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:43:39 am »

I wonder if you can quit MC, and just copy and replace the "view state (data).jmd" and "view state (index).jmd" files in the Library directory from a backup?

I bet this would have worked.  But, it turned out when I looked, that the last auto-backup wasn't that long ago (on 3/20, late in the day).  Most of my more recent file tagging was with Video files, and the JRSidecar.xml files would be able to save me on the library data for the stuff that had moved (and indeed, auto-import picked them up and they imported fine with all their metadata intact).  So, I just restored from backup.

I lost the [Date Imported] metadata for all of those re-imported videos I tagged (all of these showed up as new imports), but that's no big deal, they were all newish anyway.  I also lost the [Last Played] data for everything I watched since the backup date, which is more annoying, but I can live with it.  I had to re-do all of the little View tweaks I did tonight, which was quite irritating (I was up to a lot, which is how I ended up renaming that view in the first place), but I got through it in about 15 minutes or so.

This little trap is quite dangerous though!  This needs fixed.  Imagine if the last backup I'd had was older, or I'd done more complex tagging in the interim?  That would have been terrible!  The fact that you can rename a view to a "magic word" as simple and common as "Advanced" and have it just - POOF - vanish (and take it's sub-views along for the ride) is certainly not a good user feature!  It's awful!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:50:58 am »

The file you would have wanted is called "browser.jmd"

It holds all the tree structure between playing now and playlists. The playlists part of the tree is covered by the file playlistx.jmd.

You're right too, nasty bug!

-marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:11:28 am »

So to put it simple: JRiver, please fix this. Make possible to use a view named Advanced or if absolutely necessary make impossible to use that name.

Regarding workarounds, if only the view + subviews were lost, how many subviews? Would it have been practical to restore them from files?

You can always export the view configuration settings to a file and and import them to a different view. You should be able to fix the problem by exporting/importing the view configurations. Restore the latest "good" backup file to a new library, export the missing view configurations to files, copy to exported view files to [the library path of your problem library]\Saved Views\, load the problem library and create & restore the missing views.

Though, if just copying the "browser.jmd" file works that would be the easiest workaround.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up