INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to convert video files to "Windows Media" format  (Read 2639 times)

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Unable to convert video files to "Windows Media" format
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:30:45 am »

Can someone please help me with this, will read your reply tomorrow, thank you.
I have a [EDIT: .flc] .flv video file on my hard drive that I intend to use in a presentation next week.  My IT department is going to supply the computer and projector, I was told that in order to play it on their computer I would have to first convert the file to the .wmv format.  

I launched MC and went to Tools > Advance Tools > Convert Format thinking that some window would open up permitting me to browse to the file on my HD, but apparently MC doesn't have the capability to let me do that - so I placed the file in my MC Library; when I did that, MC found it.

But whenever I hit the "Start" conversion button I keep getting the message:
Failed to convert 1 file.
Please ensure that your files exist, and are of a supported audio format.

Did I do something wrong?  MC will play that [EDIT: .flc] .flv file without a problem but it won't convert it?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Unable to convert video files to "Windows Media" format
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:23 am »

Is the filename extension .flc or perhaps .flv ? Flc would indicate a FLIC file (an animated image format, similar to animated gif). Flv would indicate a FLASH video container that can contain many kinds of audio and video data. What is the source of the file and what does it contain?

However, the Convert Format feature is designed only for audio conversions.

The Handheld feature provides some preconfigured video conversion options, including WMV 320x240. It might be able to convert your file, but the quality would be quite low.

I'd recommend trying some dedicated video conversion tool. For example, the free MediaCoder audio/video converter. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:46 am »

Correction: It's a .flv video file, I made a typo. Thanks Alex,  I didn't know that the Convert Format feature was designed solely for audio conversions.

[EDIT] Have since installed and examined what appears to be the most spoken about freeware converters: MediaCoder, Format Factory, and Any Video Converter.  Then compared each of them to the Video Converter Pro and FoxReal Video Converter payware programs.

Thanks for the assistance Alex.  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:34 am »

Just so you know... Many "flv" files are actually mp4s now.   The two biggest flash streaming solutions, Adobe's Flash Media Server and Wowza, both use H264-compressed MP4s now, but some older flash players (meaning the web component you use to actually display a flash streaming file embedded in a website) don't properly handle the .mp4 file extension, like the ones included with older versions of Dreamweaver for example.  The common solution is to just rename your .mp4s as .flv.

I doubt this will make much of a difference in your conversion process.  I just thought I'd mention it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »

Just so you know... Many "flv" files are actually mp4s now.   The two biggest flash streaming solutions, Adobe's Flash Media Server and Wowza, both use H264-compressed MP4s now...
Yes, I've recently noted that trend.

.... some older flash players (meaning the web component you use to actually display a flash streaming file embedded in a website) don't properly handle the .mp4 file extension, like the ones included with older versions of Dreamweaver for example.  The common solution is to just rename your .mp4s as .flv.  
That's a handy workaround to remember.  
I doubt this will make much of a difference in your conversion process.  I just thought I'd mention it.
It's still useful to know that, thanks.

Airbox

Unable to convert .wav to .flac with use ogg as transport layer 'off'
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »

This is the same error, under different circumstances. So far I have found Media Center an excellent product, but this problem is driving me crazy.

Using v 15.0, even updated to the latest version of this today, I cannot convert .wav to .flac files in situ with the "use ogg as transport layer" option turned off.
When I Start the conversion,  I get the same response, i.e.
"Failed to convert 11 files.
Please ensure that your files exist, and are of a supported audio format.
"
and the directory that contains the .wav files to be converted to .flac now contains an additional 11 files of the form "Temporary Convert File 764.ogg".

Is this option supposed to work? or do I have to do the conversion to .flac using the ogg transport layer to retain the associated metadata for each audio file in Media Center, then use another 'straight' .wav ->  .flac converter, and then replace the 'ogg transport layer' .flac files with these?

Have I missed something in the documentation or forums, or has this option never worked?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »

Using v 15.0, even updated to the latest version of this today, I cannot convert .wav to .flac files in situ with the "use ogg as transport layer" option turned off.
This is a FLAC option but I don't know why it would be needed.  Why not just use the defaults?

Airbox

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:58:45 am »

Thanks,
I think my confusion was with the option settings, in particular the two which are 'blank' and x - does these mean selected and not selected respectively. It would have been clearer to show selected as a tick similar to the the Flac conversion option.
Since I have all of my 1300+ CDs ripped to .wav and am converting these to .flc I want to make sure that I am using the most flexible options when doing so.
What does the Flac quality 0 thru 8 refer to - I assume 8 is best and 0 worse [the default, for some reason is 6], but I have been unable to find anything in the FAQ, help or furums on this subject.
Having said all this the conversion from .wav to .flc provided is a delight to use, being both quick and easy, although I need to delete the .wav files afterwards.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:16 am »

What does the Flac quality 0 thru 8 refer to - I assume 8 is best and 0 worse [the default, for some reason is 6]
It means compression rate. 0 being lightest compression and thus fastest to encode while 8 is the most compressed but slowest to encode. Default value 6 is a good compromise between speed and compression rate(=file size).
Pages: [1]   Go Up