INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems ripping from CD  (Read 11259 times)

B0Z0

• Recent member
Problems ripping from CD
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:33:50 am »

Hey everyone. I've searched around but have been unable to find anything to help.

My problem is that I can't rip CD's in MC15, at all. I've searched around the various Forum's and Wiki's and tried a few different things, I've made sure all the settings are set correctly. They are set fine (I've even tested the settings with J River Karaoke 14 and they rip fine!)
I've also made sure the program is running as administrator (and I'm the administrator) and it still won't burn!

I'm able to rip an ifo from a DVD, just not a CD.

The error I'm getting is: "The output directory cannot be created for one or more files".

It's quite frustrating. I'm able to move files and folders, rename files and folders through MC15 so I can't imagine that it doesn't have write access to my music folder.

Any ideas any one? Am I supposed to have installed any other software/add-ons/plugins to get the rip CD feature to work?

Thanks in advance.
Bozo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems ripping from CD
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:11 am »

Welcome to the forum.

When you insert the CD, wait 30 seconds and then press the rip button in the lower left corner (Action Window).  What happens next.  Please provide details.

MC can't rip or burn an ISO image.

B0Z0

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:46 am »

Hey thanks for your response.

I inserted a CD, waited 30 seconds and pushed the "Rip" button.

The following error occured "The output directory cannot be created for one or more files"

I rechecked settings and tried again, same error occurs. The CD plays fine within MC15 and can be ripped by other software.

Thank you again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:12:19 am »

In MC's options for file location, check that all folders exist.  Double check encoding settings and temp directory.

B0Z0

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »

Hey.

So I've checked the options and folders there are as follows:

Folder: C:\Users\USER\Music\                                    This folder exists and has my whole music collection in
Temp folder: C:\Users\USER\Desktop\temp\                  I've Created this folder, it exists.

I've set the encoder up as MP3 at 320kbps CBR

Anything else I need to check?

Thanks again for all your help, if I could just get this working it would be the perfect piece of software.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »

Can you show a screenshot of your File Location section of the Options dialog?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

B0Z0

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:27:32 pm »

Sure thing. Here you go:

Thank you

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Any special characters in the album or artist name?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »

Try ripping a CD once with MC15 elevated to full administrator rights.
Right-click on the MC15 icon and select "Run as administrator" and then try ripping a CD.

Are you ripping CDs that might have really long titles or really long artist names?
For example, some classical CDs can end up with really long artist names and really long titles.  It is possible that a combination of really long artist and really long title could be longer than NTFS can support as a pathname (directory name or subdirectory name).

B0Z0

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »

Hey, thanks for your replies in trying to fix this.

I've ran as administrator, and there is no change. Still the same error message popping up.

I've tried a couple of different albums now and none of them have special characters, or long tittles. Again this doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks again.

B0Z0

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:20:48 pm »

Hey everyone. Thanks again for all your help. I seem to have fixed the problem.

In the Rip options I changed it from Secure to Normal rip mode.

Just as a question what is the difference between the two?

Thanks again.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »

Hmmm, interesting, but seems curious.

Secure means that MC will work to verify the ripped data is accurate.  See: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CD_Settings

Perhaps MC is getting an error in performing the secure rip, but the error code is being reported/interpreted incorrectly.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 12:09:25 am »

That is curious.
Could it be a drive that MC secure mode just doesn't know how to deal with?  If that's the case then I'd think that would be a bug and something J River would want to look at.  So note the drive model and firmware version of your CD drive.

Maybe you've got a conflicting filter driver installed?  Not likely, but possible and something that is easy to check.

Run the busTRACE Filter Driver Load Order utility.  Look at what filter drivers are loaded for your cd/dvd drive.  Then google/bing the listed filter drivers to see if any of them are suspect.

Filter drivers can do useful things.  For example iTunes installs GEARAspiWDM which allows iTunes to burn CDs.
However some filter drivers can do bad things (or intentionally mess things up).  For example the infamous Sony rootkit installed a filter driver component whose purpose was to bork things up if it detected a protected CD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up