INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server startup in WHS 2011?  (Read 6534 times)

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server startup in WHS 2011?
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »

Media Center installs and seems to run fine on WHS 2011 but I can't get the Media Server to run without logging in. Any suggestions on how to get the Media Server to start without having to log in the WHS desktop?
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server startup in WHS 2011?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »

Maybe you have, but try Tools/Options/Startup.  Choose to run Media Server on Windows Start.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

I read though the referral thread and the only answer I found is a program (Firedaemon) that costs more than Media Center. Did I miss something?
I do have the options set correctly to start the Media Server when Windows starts and it does if I log in. That isn't a good solution for a system that I rarely have a reason to log in to.
John

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:47:41 am »

I read though the referral thread and the only answer I found is a program (Firedaemon) that costs more than Media Center. Did I miss something?
I do have the options set correctly to start the Media Server when Windows starts and it does if I log in. That isn't a good solution for a system that I rarely have a reason to log in to.

This discussion crops up all the time and whilst I have a solution that partially works using FireDaemon I think it's finally time for a proper solution. The major problem using FireDaemon or similar is that when/if you do log onto the server, the MC UI is not available.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Stargazer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »

Media Center installs and seems to run fine on WHS 2011 but I can't get the Media Server to run without logging in. Any suggestions on how to get the Media Server to start without having to log in the WHS desktop?

The 'workaround' I use is a KVM connected to my systems.  I log into my WHS and have MC start with Windows.  If you have others in the house, you can the 'ctrl+alt+del' and lock the UI to stop other from messing with it.

I run MC on my WHS, and use it as a library server, so I'm usually into it everyday, adding or adjusting something, so for me logging in is not an issue.

Northernmost

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 06:28:31 am »

Another option is to set up an auto logon user (i.e. one that logs on automatically on boot) and then have the server lock itself. Google has the science on how to do it. This doesn't work on all Windows Server versions though, and, IIRC, domain joining a server quite rightly kills the ability. I know it works on 2008 as that's what's hosting my media library at home :)

It is possible to run MC as a service via FireDaemon and see the UI... but only on an older Windows Server OS. WHS v1 (i.e. Windows Server 2003) was the last one I could get that little trick to work on.

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

Another option is to set up an auto logon user (i.e. one that logs on automatically on boot) and then have the server lock itself. Google has the science on how to do it. This doesn't work on all Windows Server versions though, and, IIRC, domain joining a server quite rightly kills the ability. I know it works on 2008 as that's what's hosting my media library at home :)

The autologon seems to work OK. I'm probably exposing my server in some way but it sure is convenient not to have to run the basement to start media server or have it not running when I want remote access and it has rebooted for some reason.
John

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:17 pm »

This discussion crops up all the time and whilst I have a solution that partially works using FireDaemon I think it's finally time for a proper solution.

+1, like a WHS add-in that has the media server component that i could connect to with the media center client...

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

+1, like a WHS add-in that has the media server component that i could connect to with the media center client...

I'll second that.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up