INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to change the tray icon?  (Read 1877 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Is it possible to change the tray icon?
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:41:28 am »

I use two different versions of MC in my whole house setup, both on the media server and the main server, one for radio (since regular radio reception is lousy here and the Norwegian national radio has several web/DAB only channels) and one for the multizone sound. They have the same zones and all that, but need to be kept seperate. And they are minimized most of the time (except for when I'm working on them). Is it possible to change the tray icon so I can see which version is which?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Is it possible to change the tray icon?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:24 am »

This is currently not supported.  I've seen programs that add a "1", "2", etc. to the title when you run multiple instances.

However, we don't recommend running two versions at the same time anyway (it's fine to have multiple versions installed, but it's easy to get in trouble when they both run at once due to things like television recording, media network port collisions, COM-based plugins, etc.)

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:02:54 pm »

If it is currently supported, where do I change the icon? Or was there a "not" missing in your answer?

As for the rest, no problem. I don't use TV or COM based plugins at all (not sure what COM based plugins are...), and media network is only activated on the multi-zone instance. The thing is I need a way to separate them completely for the remote controls, and that can as far as I know only be done with different exe files running the processes since the MJFrame has the same name in all versions (no MJFrame14-15-16) when using windows messages. Or is there a way to use command line so it can conclusively (100 % of the time) separate them with radio in one (URL based streaming) and everything else in the other?

The reason for this separation is that listening to a radio channel should not change the playing now on the multi-zone instance, and I decided having 24 zones in one instance of MC (one for radio streaming and one for music in every room) would be too messy. This way I can reuse the commands simply by addressing them with variables "MC MultiZone Version = Media Center 16.exe" and "MC Radio Version = Media Center 15.exe" in Girder.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »

If it is currently supported, where do I change the icon? Or was there a "not" missing in your answer?

Yes ;)

I meant to say "currently not supported."  In other words, the icon is hard-coded.

The reason for this separation is that listening to a radio channel should not change the playing now on the multi-zone instance

If you listen to radio, that is what's "playing now" in the zone.  Why would you want to hide that?  Is there something important in Playing Now you are worried about losing?

I'm sure you have a good reason, but if you help me understand why, perhaps we could come up with an easier solution.

Thanks.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:08:12 pm »

I guessed that you had a "not" missing...

Well, we never see what's playing when it's radio. The radio is working like any other radio, when you press 1 on the IR remote for the zone (usually the original remote for the amp there) you get NRK 1, 2 gives you NRK 2 and so on, up to 8, which is the Always jazz channel from NRK. NRK being the Norwegian national broadcasting. Pressing any radio button will pause whatever's playing in the Media Library using MC for that zone, and pressing play for that will stop any radio streaming for that zone. So when I'm listening to heavy metal in the home office and I see that the news is coming on, I press 1 for NRK 1, which also pauses the metal. When the news are over, I press play on the IR remote and the radio streaming stops while the metal starts pounding again. And that's the way it works in any of the 12 zones in the house. Pretty handy!

So the point is that the radio is kept totally separate from the music library. The media library is controlled with NetRemote on Windows phones or Windows computers, or by Gizmo on my Notion Ink Adam or my son's Nook Color Android tablets. I don't let anybody access anything directly, except for myself.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »

It seems like a "resume playback of last playlist" feature is what you really need.

Would that remove the need for two instances?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:09 am »

OK, I have thought and thought for a couple of days. I really don't think that "resume of last playing now" (we don't really play from playlists, we usually pick tracks every time) would work either because sometimes we pop into more than one radio channel between the times we use the music. So I guess the only solution is to keep it the way it is now. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up