INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC as good as DVDshrink for DVD ripping?  (Read 2866 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
MC as good as DVDshrink for DVD ripping?
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:07:38 pm »

I finally coughed up the $50 for MC after a few years of using MJ, and so far it's been very worth it. I'm just starting to organize my small DVD collection. I've ripped most of them in the VIDEO_TS format using DVDshrink. I was playing a physical DVD when I noticed the DVD rip option, searched the forum and the wiki, and surprisingly didn't really find much... I don't really see many options for DVD ripping in MC, although I noticed it rips the DVD to a VIDEO_TS folder. Is this the same thing that DVD Shrink does (e.g. no compression)? That would be great if I could start using MC to rip DVDs (I just need to convince myself that MC is as good as EAC for CD ripping and then I'd be using MC for everything); I just want to make sure that I would have an identical backup.

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC as good as DVDshrink for DVD ripping?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

DVD Shrink gives you the option to rip only the main video track. Handy if you want to eliminate the menus, fluff, etc.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:06 pm »

(I just need to convince myself that MC is as good as EAC for CD ripping and then I'd be using MC for everything)

It is . . . . . this has been tested and discussed at length by a number of MC users. I have not used EAC since MC10 or MC12.

If you are unsure, rip a disc to wav using each (to remove any question about the encoders from the equation) and do a blind comparison (Foobar has a function for blind testing of tracks which works well for this).
. . . the game is rigged

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:51 pm »

It is . . . . . this has been tested and discussed at length by a number of MC users. I have not used EAC since MC10 or MC12.

If you are unsure, rip a disc to wav using each (to remove any question about the encoders from the equation) and do a blind comparison (Foobar has a function for blind testing of tracks which works well for this).

Yeah... I've read some of that stuff; I've just been using EAC for so long... I need to make it easier for myself and use MC  :)

DVD Shrink gives you the option to rip only the main video track. Handy if you want to eliminate the menus, fluff, etc.

Yeah, but in terms of quality, will MC leave the DVD untouched? In other words, if I rip a DVD with MC and then burn it, will it be (essentially) the same?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:59 am »

Most commercial DVD's have Macrovision copy protection. DVD Shrink automatically disables this copy protection and allows you to copy the DVD. If you are using MC to rip a commercial DVD, you need to have a program running (such as AnyDVD) that removes the copy protection (Note:  Removing copy protection through DVD Shrink or other software is illegal in many countries). DVD Shrink has not been updated since 2005 and there are newer copy protection schemes implemented on some commercial DVD's that will not rip with DVD Shrink.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:43:12 am »

This is a good question.  The problem lies with the quality of the CD you are ripping.  Some CD's are not very good quality.  After many pressings the dies they use wear and after awhile you start seeing an increase in C1 and C2 errors and when it becomes really bad you start seeing uncorrectable errors.  While these are many times correctable by software (C1 & C2) when the error rates become too high then you start having problems with audible distortion.  The primary reason I continue to use EAC is the Accurate Rip verification feature in EAC.  While I am sure that MC provides the same quality rip as EAC I can't see which tracks are bad that need to be replaced or if the entire CD needs to checked and returned.  I use Plextor Premium (CD) and PX 880 SA drives that have software that can analyze the discs.  I have used this many times to compel retailers to accept returns since I can prove that the disc is not good quality.  I have found over the years that about 10% of the CD's I buy are returned.  I have over 3,000 CD's 39,000+ tracks and 10% is a significant number.  I grant that I have a major bug about the quality of the tracks I buy so I stick to what I know works for me.  It would be nice if MC could interface with the Accurate Rip database then I would feel more comfortable about using MC to rip CD's.  I grant that I have not check out MC's ripping abilities since version 12.  If you are ripping MP3's, I doubt that you will see any difference.  If you are an audiophile then this becomes an important issue and the Accurate rip verification is essential.

As for DVD's I continue to use DVD Shrink to get rid of the fluff.  If it has problems with a particular DVD I use Ripit4me.  They use DVD Decryptor and then DVD Shrink to defeat almost all of the encryption schemes.  I've tried DVD Fab, Any DVD and a host of others and I keep coming back to DVD Shrink and Ripit4me. 

Tunetyme   

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:21:56 am »

Yeah, I also like accuraterip, especially because I have the log file that shows me if the cd was damaged. That would be sweet if MC could use accuraterip... That would probably make me switch over. As for DVDs, it looks like MC can't remove copy protection, so I guess DVD Shrink is still the best shot. I'll try Ripit4me as I have a few DVDs that DVD Shrink has not been able to work with.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:46:39 am »

If you use MC's Secure mode, there is no other software that can rip more accurately.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CD_Settings

This has been discussed several times on Interact.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:22 am »

Jim:

I do not question the accuracy of MC nor am I knocking MC.  I know that it is equal to any ripper available and better than most of them.  The difficulty I have is that 10% of the New CD's I buy has one or more bad tracks.  Most of the problems I have seen are bad pressings.  The die used make the CD wears over time and the quality starts dropping.  The record companies know that they are putting out bad CD's.  It has been the subject of many law suits from the artists dating back into the vinyl era.  Accuraterip tells me the quality of each track. If it isn't 100% I mark the track as (def).  I then test the CD with Plextools.  If it is bad I return it to the dealer.  I used to exchange them for another disc but every time I did that I would get another bad disc.  I usually exchange them for another CD.  If I am paying for a CD I expect to have a good quality disc.

I use MC exclusively for burning discs and I would use MC ripper if I could glean the same info I get from accurraterip.  It is simply a feature that I require. 

Tunetyme
Pages: [1]   Go Up