INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does anyone know why my JRiver MC crashes all the time, even while idle?

abc
- 2 (40%)
def
- 3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help, MC crashes all the time [solved by new video driver]  (Read 2443 times)

Kraantje

• Recent member

Just bought MC and installed it on my Asus EeeBox 1501P, 64bit Windows 7 machine. Unfortunately MC crashes all the time, even when it is open but not used. PC is stable with other applications and 'survives' memory testing. So I have no clue and before I throw away MC and 40 bucks, I just post this cry for help.

PC Specs: Intel Atom 525, 4 GB memory, 320Gb disk, clean install 64 bit Windows 7, only applications are JRiver Media Center and Foobar for comparison (does not crash).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Please help, MC crashes all the time
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:53 am »

Please use Help > Logging in the program and send a crash log to matt at jriver dot com.  We'll figure out where to go next based on what is in the log.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:38 am »

Just so you know, MC 16 is still relatively new beta software, and there will be problems here and there as it continues to develop.  With that said, it has been very stable for me and many other users here on a variety of different systems.   However, there have been a number of other users who have been having crashing problems with MC16 recently, and J River is currently working on tracking down the cause.  They've asked anyone who is having difficulties to post details over in this thread (though I do see that Matt now responded that he'd like a log from you, so do that).

If you'd rather sit it out for a bit until version 16 "matures" a bit longer,  your new license will also work with the latest build of MC 15, and then you can switch back to MC 16 at a later time.  We'd actually rather you stick with it and assist in tracking down the issues, but you do have that option available.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Kraantje

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:25 am »

Thanks for your repsonse. I like MC a lot so if I can help, with my logs, to improve it, that's the way I will go. I will see if I can get some logs to sent it to Mat.

Regards,

Kraantje

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:16 am »

Thanks for the log.

You mentioned that the computer is Blue Screening, which is a bit different than an application crash.  In general, a Blue Screen can only be caused at the hardware / driver level.  There's really no way software can cause it (although it can expose a problem in a driver).

The log doesn't show that Media Center is doing anything, and the log just abruptly terminates.

You could try running without ever talking to the soundcard (i.e. no playback) to see if the soundcard driver could be the issue.  Otherwise, the only thing I can think is that there's a disk or display driver problem.

If it were my system, I would update all the drivers on the system and go from there.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:16 am »

Received via email:
Matt,

Thanks for your check of my log files and response. The ‘funny’ thing is that the PC is only crashing with JRiver Media center open. When it is not running, or another Player is open (f.e. Windows Media player or Foobar) it never goes into bluescreen. Can it be the use of my touchscreen in combination with JRiver? I have a 10” Kraemer Touch screen and use the touch control within Media Center (mostly 3D view or Theater view). All drivers are up to date, soundcard is idle, I have set all computer and Windows bleeps to 0. My Arcam rDAC is recognized as a USB device and receives the music form Media Center in WASAPI Event Style. Maybe will run a while without touch screen and use my TV as main monitor. But if you have any other suggestions, I hope you will give them to me.

Ronald

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:59 am »

That's a big clue that you normally use 3D view or Theater View.

Both are hardware accelerated video views.  And bad video drivers are the most frequent cause of Blue Screens.

I would try using Media Center without using any 3D views (3D wall, Theater View, 3D visualizations, image playback, etc.).  Does it ever crash then?

If not, at least we have the problem narrowed down.  At that point, upgrading video drivers would be a good next step.

Kraantje

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:28 am »

Looking at the Blue Screen info, things are pointing at my graphic card indeed. I've updated the NVIDIA ION drivers (hard job with NDIVIA, eventually removing all software and getting new drivers through Windows Update) and things look at least more stable now. No more Blue Screens so far.

Still using the 3D view. It is very nice, even my kids understand how to operate MC this way. Definitely an USP over any other application. So I hope it remains stable and that future development on your side or NVIDIA’s side prevent crashes. Thanks a lot for the support.

Regards,

Ronald (Kraantje)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Please help, MC crashes all the time [solved by new video driver]
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 06:44:39 am »

def won over abc, 3 to 2.

Kraantje

• Recent member
Re: Please help, MC crashes all the time [solved by new video driver]