INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOL Magic Packet Port?  (Read 60140 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WOL Magic Packet Port?
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

Great stuff, getting nearer!

Taking the last category first, this is what you're aiming for. This is what WOL is designed to do - wake up an asleep PC over the net. For this to work you need to have a few things in place:

Your PC hardwired to a LAN via Ethernet (wake on wifi isn't common)
A network chip/card that is WOL capable
A WOL capable motherboard
WOL enabled in BIOS (you may be able to set this in the windows network settings too)
Access to port 9 on the PC (ie no firewalls that close port 9)
A program to broadcast a 'magic packet' over your network (gizmo does this)

So if you have all the above lined up in the right direction and a fair wind behind, then you stand a chance to make it work! This is why most of the WOL guides are in 'geek speak' because it isn't really for the feint hearted to be hassling about in BIOS and windows network settings! The BIOS settings are probably the trickiest since it may be called different things like PME and there may be various options. Enabling it allows some power to the network card even with the PC off, so that it can listen.

Note that the above is for doing it internally within your own network. So you should aim to have it working flawlessly internally first, before trying the port forwarding stuff on your router. In order to make it work internally, you shouldn't need the port forwarding stuff whose purpose is only to act as a bit of a traffic cop to wave the traffic (in this case the magic packet) from outside of your LAN to inside your LAN to your specific PC.

It doesn't sound like you have everything lined up yet if it doesn't work from inside your own home network, so one of the above requirements  isn't quite met yet. Try and sort it from inside first before trying from externally.

SBR

PS: I've never tried it, so don't take my word as gospel!

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:37 pm »

My Toshiba laptop (windows 7, .3 processor) is connected to the internet by wifi...If that does not suffice, then the rest is moot. Thank you for the info.

Again, I seem to be able to do everything except wake the system from off or sleep...If the PC is on, it seems to work well, at least from my Wi-Fi network. I will leave the PC on and try to access it from the phone in a remote Wi-Fi site. If that works, then I will simply leave the PC on and hope.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:23 pm »

How brave are you feeling?!

Have a read of this guide:

http://www.curlybrace.com/words/2011/06/03/enabling-wake-on-lan-on-a-toshiba-satellite-a505/

I guess if the laptop wifi card is PCIe then it may act the same way as a hardwired card. Not sure.

SBR

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »

How does one find this out? "Wake-On-LAN was enabled in the BIOS". Oh, and the PC is a Toshiba 755....

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

You'd need to work out how to delve into the BIOS and look at the settings.

You know the screen when your PC boots up with the writing on it? That's the BIOS giving messages, it's the very basic bit of software that makes the vital functions of your PC work and turns it on before windows loads up.

Each version is different and the way of entering the settings menu different, so you need to find a guide for it for your particular machine. I can't really help you there. I'd be a bit nervous about giving you generic BIOS advice since you can *really* mess things up if you get it wrong. Now you probably see why WOL tends to be 'geek' material!

SBR

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »

well anyway, thanks for the help...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »

Try the Geek Squad.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »

Looks like you likely have the router set up correctly. However WOL needs to be setup on the computer as well.  There is some information here:

http://windows7-issues.blogspot.com/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html

I would test from another computer if possible first before trying to test from the internet. That way you eliminate the router as being an issue. Once you have the computer working you can  try from the internet to verify router is correctly set up.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:15 pm »

New silly question...My router died yesterday....So...I have to reset the new one. Before I get too enthusiastic, I figure I will ask one foolish question...

When one is port forwarding and one gets a screen that asks for the ports involved and say's 'to IP address' and then expects one to fill in the last digits on the IP...What IP address are they looking for? I have static IP's for each server,  an IP address LN, an IP address WAN and something labeled'computer ip address,(which is the static IP for the server hard wired to the router) all on the router info page...What number goes into that slot for port forwarding.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »

It is looking for the IP Address of the computer you are "forwarding the information to". In other words the computer with MC on it that you are trying to access/wake up.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Thank you
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up