INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galaxy Tab as a RC - Can you control your AV Equipment?  (Read 3234 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Galaxy Tab as a RC - Can you control your AV Equipment?
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:10 am »

I've just ordered a Galaxy Tab as the price crashed here in Oz to AU$370.  I know I can run Gizmo to control MC, but is anyone using it as a RC to control standard AV equipment as a Universal RC?  If so what HW / SW do you need?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Galaxy Tab as a RC - Can you control your AV Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:19:43 am »

Yes you definitely can.  Right now you can use an app called EventGhost on your pc.  (its an opensource equivalent to Girder)
http://eventghost.net/
In eventghost you set up the control activities for whatever you want to do and then use and then use a number of Android options to trigger these activities on the host.  Options include triggering from a webremote page or there is an EventGhost for Android app in the market.  It requires some tinkering and setup and although I've installed it I haven't done anything with it yet in my setup.  I am still using NetRemote devices to send the triggers (to EventGhost) as I've had that in place for a while and tweaked it quite a bit for my setup.

I really want to get rid of NetRemote and I know I can if I put the time into EventGhost - I just haven't yet.  I am also hoping that Gizmo eventually allows us to create these kinds of controls that would be able to send the events but I suspect that's a way's off yet.

Ekpen

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:57:00 am »

Greetings:

Iruleathome.com has something for iphone and ipad. I have asked Itai several times, if his builder can be  ported to Android. Iruleathome has a collection of info for all kinds of A/V and drivers. It is similar to the Pronto ccf.

I even sent an email to JimH, to contact Itai Bengal about this. This will really be an excellent addition to Gizmo and MC.
There is also a member of this forum that is involved in builder forms and buttons for the Ipad/Iphone for iruleathome.
For me I am waiting for Acer Android A501, to be available before I start using Gizmo.
JimH, if yo uare reading this post, how far have you gone with Iruleathome?

Thanks.
Ekpen.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »

Yup (features like Iruleathome.com with HW based irBlaster) - but has anyone actually done this with MC / Galaxy Tab yet and if so what:
1) SW on the Tab did you use
2) How did you add iR hw support?
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:59 am »

Iruleathome uses IR/ RS232 and IP. My equipments at home are mostly IP, RS232. When Itai started Iruleathome, I was one of the early testers, but I gave up on it because my Iphone became too small for my eyes, and moreover, my daughter came to swap my 2nd generation iphone with her 1st generation. As a result of this, the iphone I have now became too slow. I lost interest in iruleathome. However, Itai and I still communicate. I even sent him one of my rs232 16 port wti terminal for testing.

I wish Jim could talk to him.  I am for Android now. Hopefully by May, when the Acer is available, I will pick up one.
Ekpen.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:17 am »

In my case I use one of these:
http://www.usbuirt.com/
For my IR requirements. My Denon amp has a serial connection and there is a plugin in EG of this.  All the Android EG client requires is you to create a layout (put some icons on a screen)   There is also a MC plugin (as well as a bunch of other hardware and software) so the potential is great.  For example I am using EG's scheduler plugin to turn my cabinet backlighting on at sunset and off at midnight.

I've tested the EG Android client and it works - quite the same way it does in NetRemote.  I just haven't put the time into converting my interface everything over yet.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:05:33 pm »

Thanks for the info but what is EG.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:24:00 am »

Event Ghost, I think.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:36 am »

Yes - mentioned it above.

Here is the URL:
http://eventghost.net

Android market has a client.

Ekpen

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »

JimH,
Please find time to get in touch with Itai Bengal of Iruleathome. What he has done with Iruleathome and all the databases of hardware, IR/RS232/IP will surely benefit Gizmo project.
Thanks.
Ekpen.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »

Yes - mentioned it above.

Here is the URL:
http://eventghost.net

Android market has a client.

Thanks - I did not make (the obvious) connection!
JRiver CEO Elect

mlippitt

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 04:52:41 am »

How does DLNA play into this question of A/V remote control?
Will DLNA enable wifi control over future A/V equipment?
How far out is that?
Are there any home-theater Bluray/amp/speaker systems that have  this feature today?
Pages: [1]   Go Up