INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse Buttons Disabled in ALL Applications while MC12 or MC15 is running  (Read 3643 times)

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

Running win xp 2003 server  with all sps, microsoft wreless mouse, ATI 5450hd card,
When MC is ruinning the mouse behaves well for the first minute then will not respond to right mouse clicks and will not allow menu bar to drop down with left click. Only selection and drag are available behaviours.  Even wheel mouse is disabled?  This happens in explorer and other apps.  Once MC is shut down the mouse returns to normal behaviour??  What is going on Please???

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

This is Truly frustrating and isolated to Media Center which disables the mouse buttons&wheel after a minute of running. Then the mouse reactivates when MC closes??  This is in both ver 12 and 15.  It is very frustrating and I cannot use my beloved Media Center.  Anyone any suggestions please.  >:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I don't think MC could do that, but try updating or uninstalling any software that came with your mouse.

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

Yes I completely uninstalled the mouse device, rebooted and went with a generic mouse and it worked perfect until Media center loaded and after 1 minute the mouse buttons stopped working as before.  Exit Media Center and mouse works again immediatey.   I am a 20 year software developer so I know this is happening only while Media Center is running.  I know it sounds carzy but there it is!!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D

How strange. With the 'generic mouse' you're talking physical there as opposed to the driver yes?

Has the issue always been present on this machine?
Is the video card a recent addition/swap?
I had a video card once that couldn't render the mouse cursor properly it came out  as a square black box, which sounds like a driver issue but it wasn't.  A replacement was swapped in and the replacement worked fine.  

How about a keyboard swap?  I've seen strange things happen where keys have got slightly stuck down.
Also always worth trying different USB sockets.  I've seen a few dodgy USB sockets even on brand new machines.

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

It just starts malfunctioning after a minute or so regardless.  Yes I did replace my video card recently and it is a HD card ATI5450.  It runs everything fine on everything except chessmaster 10 but this is a known issue with chessmaster. 

The mouse is working great now, perfect. So I just started MC and mouse still working while I type this letter... now it has frozen the keyboard and the menu bar of the IE is grayed out and I am having to close MC so I can type the rest of this message. Ok it took about 1.5 mins to start and I had to shut MC down before it would let me type again.  Only MC does this???

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It just starts malfunctioning after a minute or so regardless.  Yes I did replace my video card recently and it is a HD card ATI5450.  It runs everything fine on everything except chessmaster 10 but this is a known issue with chessmaster. 

The mouse is working great now, perfect. So I just started MC and mouse still working while I type this letter... now it has frozen the keyboard and the menu bar of the IE is grayed out and I am having to close MC so I can type the rest of this message. Ok it took about 1.5 mins to start and I had to shut MC down before it would let me type again.  Only MC does this???

I've never heard anything like this.

If you're using Theater View, it could be video drivers.

Otherwise, it's worth trying the latest Media Center 16.

Media Center has no mouse or keyboard hooks. 

The remote engine can listen for input if it's enabled, but this couldn't cause the trouble you're seeing.  Remotes are configured in Options > Remote with v15 or v16.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

I tried MC16 and sure enough the mouse became disabled while importing music. 
I tried moving the mouse to a different USB port with no change.
In all three versions of MC 12, 15 and 16 the mouse and keyboard break just after opening the application.
I am giving up...   I guess its Windows media player for me :(

JimH

• Administrator

Do you have a different mouse you could try?  Just as a test.

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

I though you might have something so I switched my Microsoft wireless mouse with my friends Logitech mouse and keyboard.  Mouse was working perfectly... Launched MC12 and within 30 seconds the mouse was again disabled in all applications.  So now I have tried everything except swapping in another video card.  Oh well thanks for the suggestion.

JimH

• Administrator

So if you install MC on your friend's machine, I'll bet it works with both mice.

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

Yes MC works fine on the other machine so it is not the mice that are at issue.  Something in the configuration of my machine is causing this behaviour and the only thing I recently changed was the video card to a new HD card. 

JimH

• Administrator

A Google search might turn up something.

Updating the video driver is worth a try.  What is the video card?

Does it happen in all views of MC?  Theater View, Standard View, etc.

Phil_weeks

• Recent member

Interestingly; I put my new ATI EAH5450video card into another machine and the mouse became disabled on that machine as well when MC is run.  So I that pretty much nails it down to the card.  I have the latest drivers installled.

raul101

Hi, I have a very similar problem.
When MC15 media server is running in the background the Stop, Skip F/B, Fast Forward and Rewind buttons do not work with other applications like WMC and ArcSoft TMT. The other buttons work ok. When media server is not running all the buttons respond properly.
I'm using a regular WMC remote and the video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5550.
Did you get it resolved?
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up