INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 none beta  (Read 1871 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
MC16 none beta
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:41 am »

Hi
When will the MC16 not be beta anymore? I mean when is 16 THE major mediacenter?
JRiver for music

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re: MC16 none beta
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:43:00 am »

I would think that it's THE major media center now since MC15 isn't in development stage anymore. Plus, JRiver is already up to build 64 so I would think that it's no longer "beta" but in the "continuing development" cycle. :) Remember, that's not an official word from JRiver, just my opinion.

Captor

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:52:26 am »

Thank you, King. Maybe that is so, yes.
Hope some official from JRiver will comment on that.
JRiver for music

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

I too think personally that it is not in beta anymore. There is no sign of the word beta either on the splash screen (if you have it enabled) or on the About screen.

Would be nice if JRiver could confirm to us all though the official stance.

John

Captor

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »

Thanks John, I agree on that too.
JRiver for music

rick.ca

MC16—beta or not?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

No doubt JRiver has it's reasons for how it characterizes the status of the current version versus its predecessor. Whatever those reasons are, I don't think they're likely to make any difference to established users once the "beta" is made available to everyone. At that point, an understanding of what it is is probably not helped by any labels—official or otherwise.

It's not a new program. It's a continuation of the development of the previous version, and development of the previous version ceases. Yes, relatively significant and experimental changes are implemented in the early days of the changeover—while in closed beta. But after a number of weeks, the issues arising from such changes are dealt with. After that, the nature of the changes is really not much different than the ongoing changes made to a version that has been declared "released."

So what does this mean? It depends on who you are. I'm inclined to switch to the new version as soon it's available. If I can't discern any difference in "stability," I see no reason to deny myself the improvements in the new version. Not wanting to waste time using two versions, I'll stop using the old version at the same time, and uninstall it soon thereafter. Others will not be as interested in current development, or simply reluctant to change something they're happy with. They might hold out until the list of improvements is too long to ignore. Or they might just wait indefinitely until JRiver announces the new version is "released."

At this point, declaring MC16 "released" is a marketing event having little to do with development. JRiver will want to pick a time they're sure the current version is very stable, with no significant changes planned for a while. They will hope many "holdouts" will upgrade when the announcement is made, and they will want those users to be pleased with the set of new features and improvements they're getting for their (full) upgrade fee. So I don't think they'll declare it "released" in response to your request. And you've already understood the hints it's not really in beta and we should be happy with our decisions to upgrade early. ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:42 pm »

I think your opinion probably matters more than ours.

petrossa

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:14:32 am »

Madvr support is reason enough to switch, no matter what you want to call it. But all the other improvements/cleaner code also.

There was some old guy who muttered something about a rose being a rose regardless its name. Forgot his name  :P

Captor

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:42:09 am »

OK, thank you all. I guess I got an answer on my question....
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up