INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: linking to squeezebox  (Read 2628 times)

RayfromTX

• Recent member
linking to squeezebox
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »

I recently linked my media center to my squeezebox so I could play my playlist from my JRiver through my living room sound system. All was well until the day of my big party when it decided to crash. Now it does not see the squeezebox so I can't link it. Can someone help me figure out what else to try? This was a great thing until it suddenly wasn't. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out but once again I feel like an idiot. Thanks in advance if you know what is causing this or a way to make the server see the client.

RayfromTX

• Recent member
Re: linking to squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »

There is one other thing. Before it failed, it would repeat the song over and over even though it was set to not repeat.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »

How are you "linking"?  I suppose you mean via DLNA?  Perhaps a little more info would help.

And there are these threads that might offer some assistance :

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62855.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62392.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RayfromTX

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:18:39 pm »

I don't really know. I downloaded MC16 and when the squeezebox was up and running in the living room, mc16 would show it as a zone that I could click on. It would take a while for it to recognize it but it would see it after a few minutes. It would also see the squeezebox in my office. Now it only sees "here". I am not clear what DNLA is but suspect it is a network client? Can you help me figure this out?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 04:34:43 pm »

Here's a good place to start:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

UPNP is a sub-set of DLNA.  MC will work with both if configured correctly.

A firewall change could account for the problem.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »

I don't really know. I downloaded MC16 and when the squeezebox was up and running in the living room, mc16 would show it as a zone that I could click on. It would take a while for it to recognize it but it would see it after a few minutes. It would also see the squeezebox in my office. Now it only sees "here". I am not clear what DNLA is but suspect it is a network client? Can you help me figure this out?

Squeezebox Server currently doesn't really support DLNA.  An upcoming release (7.6) will.  So you'll need DLNA software such as Whitebear that can manage this.  See:  http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80632&highlight=whitebear

RayfromTX

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »

I have a little better understanding after following Jim's link. Thanks. I have whitebear which is how I was accessing the server with the squeezebox until it stopped working. I have gone to my firewall settings and allowed anything remotely connected with the squeezebox or media center, both public and private. Still no luck.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »

It can take MC up to 5 minutes to discover servers. Maybe this is what you're seeing.  You can cause a refresh to MC by starting/stopping Whitebear (start/stop or quit/launch).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »

When you use Whitebear, you also need to have SqueezeCenter installed and running.

RayfromTX

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39:32 pm »

Thanks. I've been doing both of those things. It's something else.

RayfromTX

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 05:31:02 pm »

Does anyone have another idea of what might be wrong? This is driving me crazy. Of course that doesn't require a map in my case.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »

I think we're suffering from a dearth of information and description.  In post 3, I asked about how you were linking.  You responded "I don't really know", but then later indicate you are using Whitebear.  Somehow, you figured out to download Whitebear, and how to use it.

Your best bet at getting help is to be as thorough as you can with the software versions, problem description, configurations, etc.  Otherwise, helpers just guess, and end up playing 20 questions.

You said "it decided to crash".  What is "it"?  What do you mean by "crash"?

What status does Whitebear show under its Status tab?

What options are configured under MCs Media Network?

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »

... Can someone help me figure out what else to try? ...

In the meantime, why not just export all of your MC playlists and then point your Squeezebox Server to the exported playlists.
My exported playlists end up here:
C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Library\Playlists

Pages: [1]   Go Up