INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you Activate the DSP?  (Read 4142 times)

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
How do you Activate the DSP?
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:21:59 pm »

I check the boxes and nothing happens? Any ideas as this is what the Wiki says. Think it may be antiquated.

"Note: DSP functions are only available during the playback of an Audio CD if you have "Use Digital Playback" selected under Tools > Options > Device. Some CD drives do not recognize digital playback. If you have a problem playing Audio CDs, try disabling this option."

Also where is this benchmarks thingy I read last night?

Thanks
Ian

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Re: How do you Activate the DSP?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:44:13 pm »

If all conditions are met, then yes, one activates the DSP by placing a check mark in its box.
Someone else will be along to help you problem solve why that is not happening for you.

I do know that the GUI is sometimes flighty when you want to display the DSP's control panel.
I discovered that clicking on the text - that is immediately to the right of the check box - is the most dependable way to open the DSP's control panel. This method works for any DSP even if the activation box is unchecked.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

The Benchmark is under the Help menu...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

That was it Supersnake, click on the text. Brilliant tip, time to play!  8) Cheers

Thanks Ken.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »

I do know that the GUI is sometimes flighty when you want to display the DSP's control panel.
I discovered that clicking on the text - that is immediately to the right of the check box - is the most dependable way to open the DSP's control panel. This method works for any DSP even if the activation box is unchecked.

I don't think I've even seen this.

Could you describe it in a little more detail?  Is it specific to certain DSP plugins?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »

Could you describe it in a little more detail?  Is it specific to certain DSP plugins?

Thanks.
How to say with limited english..

It's not clear for a newbie. If you open DSP studio, it comes up with the last state, i.e. Output Format after a fresh install.

Now if you check the Volume Leveling box the menu with the Output Format settings remains. Without seeing the Volume Leveling settings you don't see that it's set to default, Adjustment: Fixed and appearently nothing happens. Only after you hit the text Volume Leveling you see the menue and actually see what it is about.

Perhaps it's a good idea if the associated menu pops up if you check a box.

Hope this helps.
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:18 pm »

I think I know what you mean.  Thanks.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »

Could you describe it in a little more detail?  Is it specific to certain DSP plugins?
Thanks.
It is specific to displaying every DSP's control panel.  
Clicking on the text is the only way to display any DSP's control panel.  
I think newbies or experienced users might be tripped up on that, as we were.

See screenshot examples.

ADDENDUM
It's not clear for a newbie. If you open DSP studio, it comes up with the last state, i.e. Output Format after a fresh install.
Now if you check the Volume Leveling box the menu with the Output Format settings remains. Without seeing the Volume Leveling settings you don't see that it's set to default, Adjustment: Fixed and apparently nothing happens. Only after you hit the text Volume Leveling you see the menu and actually see what it is about.
Exactly, note in first screenshot that the Volume Leveling DSP appears after a fresh install.

That was it Supersnake, click on the text. Brilliant tip, time to play!  8) Cheers.
Cheers  :)

Perhaps it's a good idea if the associated menu pops up if you check a box.
Agreed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:37 am »

This was an intentional change in Media Center 15:

15.0.21 (04/07/2010)
3. Changed: DSP Studio no longer selects an effect when clicking the checkbox to toggle it.

The thought was that you might want to watch 'Analyzer' or a similar DSP while turning effects on and off to see what they're doing.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:44 am »

This was an intentional change in Media Center 15:

15.0.21 (04/07/2010)
3. Changed: DSP Studio no longer selects an effect when clicking the checkbox to toggle it.

The thought was that you might want to watch 'Analyzer' or a similar DSP while turning effects on and off to see what they're doing.

If so it would be a good idea to design the text as a button. Click on text next to a checkbox is not intuitiv by any means because it is just text in every application I ever used
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:15 am »

If so it would be a good idea to design the text as a button. Click on text next to a checkbox is not intuitive by any means because it is just text in every application I ever used

If that suggestion is implemented could you include the following instructions within the DSP Studio screen:

Select the check box to activate the DSP.
Select the button to view the control panel / effect.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:29:21 am »

The change in 15.0.21 isn't worth the added confusion in my opinion.  

So in a coming build:
Changed: Checking a check box in DSP Studio will also select that DSP.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:17 pm »

The change in 15.0.21 isn't worth the added confusion in my opinion.

I suppose not, but this change was perfectly sensible. And it did not violate any Windows conventions. It should be obvious to any Windows user the list of DSP's is a selection box. In any context, a first-time user should know they can select the item to see what it is. Check boxes are check boxes—separate objects. The fact they're combined with the list items in no way implies otherwise.

If I were inclined to do such things, I'd be rather upset this thoughtful touch is being undone due to misplaced confusion.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33:38 pm »

That would be unnecessary if the control windows could be detached and kept open independently of the main DSP Studio window. (At least the VST plugin interface windows that have been designed to be floatable.)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58096.msg393710#msg393710
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »

That would be unnecessary if the control windows could be detached and kept open independently of the main DSP Studio window. (At least the VST plugin interface windows that have been designed to be floatable.)

I would like DSP Studio to show in the main tree under Playing Now.  Each DSP should have a "Detach" button on the header.
Pages: [1]   Go Up