INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J River and iPad  (Read 3200 times)

Dr.sah

• Recent member
J River and iPad
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:36 am »

Hi to all, Im new user here. I want to upgrade my sound with JRiver and USB based DAC Calyx. I have WIN 7 32 bit based PC, music on NAS.
I installed program, and everything is working fine for now. But, I can't find some instructions, what to do, for remote control my JRiver with Ipad and PLUGPLAYER remote.
Can somebody tell me, what to do?

thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: J River and iPad
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:16:43 am »

Welcome to the forum.  WebRemote will work on the iPad.  Please start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57770.0

csimon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:04 am »

I use PlugPlayer on an iPad with J River MC, it is a much "nicer" solution than Webremote.  Note however that it does not "control" MC as such, it is a UPnP/DLNA control point that allows to you to use MC as a server and/or renderer and allows you to send media to other DLNA devices.

Webremote controls the MC player itself and can also send media to other MC Zones , which may be other instances of MC or another DLNA device, however the interface (being web-based) is not a iPad native application and can seem a bit primitive.

kerze

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »

Hi,
is it possible that you give me (us) your configuration settings e.g. how to configurate MC and PP?
Thank you!

csimon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »

You have to enable DLNA Media Server in MC, also turn on DLNA Renderer if you want to be able to control MC itself from PP instead of or as well as controlling another DLNA device.  You also have a separate set of views that you can define for the DLNA server which affect the browse tree that you see in PP.  There are a default set of views provided but you can modify them in the same way that you can customise views in the MC front-end itself.

That's all that needs doing.  MC should then magically appear as a server within PP.  It should also appear as a renderer if you have turned on DLNA Renderer.

Note however that your network must be able to support UPnP broadcast messages for this device discovery to work (I think it's called SSDP?).  I had an issue originally in that, althought MC would automatiaclly be discovered in UPnP controller software and devices on my wired network, my router was fairly old and did not support discovery messages over its wireless port.  Therefore PP was not automatically discovering MC or any of my other devices.  However, PP has a facility to add a device manually by entering the URL of the device's description file.  I perservered with this for a while but eventually got tired of doing it so I bought a new router and now everything is fine!

kerze

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 05:02:50 pm »

much appreciate!
i`ll get my ipad this weekend and will report

kerze

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:25 am »

yes, it works!
But MC stops after playing one song...

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:51:24 am »

Kerze, I was going down the same path as you, however discovered the same thing, after one song the DLNA Controller needs to start the next song, but the iPad has gone to sleep. If you leave the DLNA controller active (I used M Connect and not Plug Player) it will work, but the battery drains as the iPad screen is on.
I switched to WebRemote and life is exactly how I want it.

There are a couple of people working on iPad skins that make it look a little better than the default skin.
Now the entire house is controlled (musically) via iPad and WebRemote. I have zones based on USB DAC's and DLNA renderers.

Everyone loves the ability to use the iPad to control the MC server. We still use a DLNA player to listen on the iPad, mainly for Podcasts downloaded by MC.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:20 pm »

(I used M Connect and not Plug Player)
What is M Connect?  Link?  Couldn't find any reference to it anywhere.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:42:13 am »

http://www.personasoftware.com/

I noticed it is actually called media:connect apologies for the confusion.

btw, only the player is free, the controller and server functions are "extra"
Pages: [1]   Go Up