INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Aspect Ratio Control?  (Read 1400 times)

Hawke

DVD Aspect Ratio Control?
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:05 am »

I just downloaded the trial version to test out and can't figure out how to change the aspect ratio for DVD playback. It works for media file playback but I don't see any options to configure the aspect ratio for DVD. Is it not possible to do or is it a limitation of the trial version, I'm using a CRT monitor and trying to get stretch mode working.

Any help is appreciated.

Hawke.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD Aspect Ratio Control?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:51 am »

Welcome to the forum.  The trial is a full version.

Aspect Ratio is a tag, so you can set it there. 

When you play a video, you can right click or bring up the On Screen Display (using the arrow keys) to find and set it.

Hawke

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:18:05 am »

JimH,

I can change the aspect ratio when playing a mkv rip but when watching a DVD disc I can't change the aspect ratio, there is no aspect ratios option displayed in the menu. I hope that explains things a bit better.

Thanks.

Hawke.

audunth

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »

I have no aspect ratio option in the on screen menu while playing DVDs either. Maybe it's because of the decodere being used. I use Dscaler for DVD playback.

If you install ffdshow and check "Use ffdshow video decoder for post processing" (Options -> Video -> scroll all the way down to the last option under DVD) you can go to the ffdshow configuration either from the Start menu when not playing or through the on screen right click menu (DirectShow Filters) and configure the aspect ratio there. (Resize & aspect)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hawke

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »

audunth,

I'm using Windows 7 with the built in Microsoft Mpeg2 decoder, it's strange because the ability to change the aspect ratio is there but for some reason it won't let you do it for DVD disc playback.

I'm not sure if the full version is any different? Thanks for the tip about ffdshow but I wan't to avoid using it if I can as it's a bit buggy to use.

Hawke.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »

DVD is always played in native aspect ratio.  There is no aspect ratio control.  However, there is a Cropping control, that allows you to crop off some extra black borders, depending on the ratio of your display, and of the movie.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up