INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming one MC library to another location?  (Read 1963 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Streaming one MC library to another location?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:48:45 am »

I have a desktop (with my library and all the media files associated with it) and a laptop (with MC installed).

Is there any way for me to stream the music on my desktop to my laptop over the internet using MC? Preferably, I'd be able to use MC on the laptop to be able to go through the library and change songs/edit playlists from there.

These systems are hundreds of miles away so they are not on the same home network.

Any way to do this or an adequate workaround?

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming one MC library to another location?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:58:52 am »

Library Server is exactly what you're looking for. It's built into MC, and can be used over the internet exactly like you described.

It does have a few limitations. You won't be able to edit file names or delete content, but you can create playlists, update tags, etc.

I have a desktop (with my library and all the media files associated with it) and a laptop (with MC installed).

Is there any way for me to stream the music on my desktop to my laptop over the internet using MC? Preferably, I'd be able to use MC on the laptop to be able to go through the library and change songs/edit playlists from there.

These systems are hundreds of miles away so they are not on the same home network.

Any way to do this or an adequate workaround?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:46 am »

Thanks, works like a charm. I figured this was built in but just couldn't find it.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:29 pm »

hmmm, well actually maybe not, i was able to do it at my house but when i went to my friend's house a few hours later, i put the access code in and it tries to connect but fails after 4 or 5 tries

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »

Our wiki has an article called "Network Access".  It may help.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »

Just wanted to write a followup on this.

The issue was mine locally witha  port forwarding issue. I was able to leave my software firewall on and just port forward through my router 1 port and all seems to work well. This is great functionality.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

Following up on this in a related question:

Is there a way for me to run one library on my server machine and then have a separate library that clients can access (say, in .zip form)

This would allow me to hide certain material at certain locations which would be desirable for me.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

MC runs one library at a time, but you can switch amongst any number of libraries you have.  The clients connect to the currently library on the server.

You can use Access Controls to limit access to certain information.  Controls don't vary per-client.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up