INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0.289 doesn't detect CDWriter  (Read 2185 times)

Frank

MJ 8.0.289 doesn't detect CDWriter
« on: June 02, 2002, 07:48:01 am »

Hi,

I've ASPI 4.60 on W2K installed without problems. But MJ tries to detect my CD Writer and fails all the time. After that I can't set any other option about CD Writer. 'Use generic driver' is grayed. I've tried ASPI 4.70 also but without success - only a few more other problems.

How can I use my CD Writer (TEAC CD-R55S)with MJ?

Regards,
Frank

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:MJ 8.0.289 doesn't detect CDWriter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 08:20:16 am »

http://www.goldenhawk.com/devices_body.htm

Smart and Friendly "CD-R4012" TEAC CDR55S

Is on the supported list for Goldenhawk Drivers MJ Uses And I Think MJ8 Has The Latest, If Your Using MJ7.2 Then You May Need To Upgrade To MJ8
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Frank

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 08:28:36 am »

Like I've wrote in the subject: I've MJ 8.0.289 installed. The problem is that I'm unable to configure my CD Writer. MJ tries to detect a CD Writer but fails. That means it can't detect any CD Writer on my system and all input fields of the settings page are grayed...

Regards,
Frank

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 08:30:52 am »

There must be a Problem Maybe JohnT Is The Burner Guru At J River.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 07:08:36 am »

We've had problems before with this particular drive (TEAC CD-R55S). If you email me I can send you a small test program to do some troubleshooting with.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt@jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2002, 01:01:00 pm »

"   MJ 8.0.289 doesn't detect CDWriter

We've had problems before with this particular drive (TEAC CD-R55S). If you email me I can send you a small test program to do some troubleshooting with."

Going through the MJ Forums, I found this thread that's similar to my problem.  

System: HP Pav 9680C
Proc: Intel PentIII 650mHz
Mem: 128mb
CD-R/W: Teac CD-W54E

When I click Burn CD button, I recieve error,"Failed to find any CD-r/w devices on your system."  I tried to go to "CD Writer Settings" page in options menu, but all options are inaccessible, except for "DETECT," which does nothing when selected.

Tried to download ASPI Driver Ver4.71update, but after downloaded, unzipped, and ASPIINST.EXE selected, I get error "Could not expand file: 'C:\adaptec\aspi\ASPI2K.SY_' to '(bunch of symols),' then "Installation Failed."

The strange thing is, when logged on as Administrator, everything seems to work OK (I haven't acually burned, used a test file to start process; everything proceeded like it should right up until it was ready to "burn"), but not when I'm logged on as a user (which is my personalized login, for security purposes).  I would just as soon go into Admin to use MJ to burn (only a slight pain in the ass), but when MJ is launched, none of the media files have correct path (I get error message to that effect).

Please help in any way!

Thanks,
Tom

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 03:41:24 pm »

>> The strange thing is, when logged on as Administrator, everything seems to work OK
Did you install MJ also Under The Other Users Who Will Use MJ? If Not That Needs To Be Done.

A Bit Of Dance\Trance:
Listening to: 'Blind Love [Together By The Se' from 'Goddess Of Dance' by 'Nina' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 03:56:34 pm »

Well, I've got it installed at: documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\mj.  I don't recall, but was there an option during installation that lets you choose to install under multiple users?  I don't have multiple users, I just log in under a different userID for most things so I'm not accessing the net as admin.  MJ does appear under the start menu\programs while logged on as admin, but doesn't have the quick launch like my other username.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 03:58:27 pm »

>> I don't have multiple users, I just log in under a different userID for most things so
I think You Will Need To Use It Under That User ID For It To Work.

Listening to: 'Then Came You' from 'Sounds Of The Seventies 1974' by 'Dionne Warwick & The Spinners' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 04:24:01 pm »

The wierd thing is that I think I installed MJ while logged in as Other User, where CDRW doesn't work; but under Admin CDRW works ok, even though I didn't install MJ while logged in as Admin.  Problem being is all my files are under
Other User, and don't have access to them while logged in as Admin; then, while logged in as Other User, where all my files are, I can't burn.  Sucks.

TBone

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2002, 01:47:20 pm »

I had a similar issue with my CD-R/W (HP 8100), but here's how I resolved it.  First, my CD-RW was not detected by MJ, i.e., clicking on the "DETECT" button did nothing.  So, I clicked on "Burn CD" from the main MJ window.  I heard my CD-R/W spin up and then I dialog box asked me if I wanted to burn an Audio CD or a Data CD.  I clicked cancel and went back into Settings->Options->CD Writer Settings and there it was, properly detected and displayed.  This won't help the person who gets an error when they click on "Burn CD", but for the original poster this may work.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2002, 06:50:18 am »

tommyt-

When you installed the Adaptec aspi 4.7, were you logged in as administrator? I don't believe it will work unless you were. Try logging in as admin and try the aspi install process again.

- John T.

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2002, 04:22:18 pm »

JohnT:

Yes, I was loggin in as Admin while attempting to install ASPI4.71.

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2002, 04:29:10 pm »

JohnT:

Should I attempt to install a previous version of either ASPI or MJ?  I'm not sure if I've completely worked out all the bugs from my upgrade from Win98 to Win2k.  When I made the switch, my Easy CD Creator stopped being able to burn (during startup, it would tell me, "File named "wnaspi32.dll" could not be loaded.  This file is required by Easy CD Creator in order to access your CD recorder."  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2002, 05:01:21 pm »

Install the latest version of MJ (8.0.302) from a thread here.

It has better support for CD writers.  Try the generic option if it doesn't work right away.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2002, 05:11:44 am »

Try what Jim said first, grab the latest MJ 8.0.302.

If that doesn't work, you could try this:

1. remove MJ (and tell it to remove registry entries)
2. do a search on your entire system for "wnaspi32.dll" and rename any that you find (e.g. "wnaspi32.dll.old")
3. reinstall the latest MJ 8.0.302
4. the first time you try to burn anything, MJ should ask if you want ASPI to be installed automatically, answer yes
5. after installation is complete, reboot your system
6. restart MJ and see if you can detect your CD writer

Let us know.

- JOhn T.

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2002, 01:33:28 pm »

JohnT:

Thanks a million.  I followed your instruction, and everything works fine (although, I didn't ever hav the option of choosing to download the ASPI driver...everything was automatic).

Thanks again,
Tom

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2002, 03:29:29 pm »

JohnT:

Alright, I spoke too soon.  When I went into options>CD Writer settings, a window popped up asking if I wanted to install ASPI drivers.  When I tried to install, I got the same error message as above:
Could not expand file: 'ASPI2K.SY_' to '(bunch of symbols)'
then:
Installation failed.

AARRGGG!

Tom

tommyt

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2002, 03:34:48 pm »

BTW, I tried the same trick in ASPI2K.SY_ as you suggested on WNASPI.DLL, but I got the same error message while trying to install.

Tom

JohnT

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2002, 07:46:34 am »

Can you try doing a manual install of the Aspi software? Download the install files from this link (look under WinXP and download the 4.71 version):
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70#Microsoft%20Windows%202000
After unzipping them, they should be located in c:\adaptec\aspi.
From your windows Start menu, select "Run" and type in:
c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32
Then click Ok.
Reboot after the install is complete.

Does this work?
Pages: [1]   Go Up