INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatical tagging of Mood and genre.  (Read 3942 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Automatical tagging of Mood and genre.
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:08 am »

Is there a way to automatically tag moods from an online database of some sort? I tried Musicbrainz, but it doesn't seem to support moods. Also I am looking for a similar function when it comes to genre, or eventually some kine of "genre truncation" I can do i MC, to clarify, lets say i have a track with the genre "indie", I want to move that genre to some kind of subgenre tag-field, and change the genre to "rock" (I find that i seldom have use for very specific genres)

Opawesome

• Recent member
Re: Automatical tagging of Mood and genre.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:16:47 am »

I use Music Brainz's software called Picard along with a plugin called LastFMplus. Basically it gets standard information such as artist album year title etc from the musicbrainz database, and it also fetch tags for each track from LastFm and sorts them into categories such as "mood", "occassion", "country", etc. It is a bit difficult at the beginning to get the results you want (setting up everything is a bit difficult), but with some fine tuning it is very satisfactory.

Links:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
http://tiptoes.hobby-site.com/mbz/lastfm

If you prefer AMG, you can use another program along with this plugin: http://poisonjoe.freeunix.net/. However you will need to navigate through the AMG website to find the right CD. Also, the tagging will be album specific rather than track specific.

Both will support a genre tagging scheme such as Genre\Sub-Genre with Large genre such as rock, pop, classical, jazz, soul, electronic, etc. and sub-genres like indie, alternative rock, post-rock, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Regards,

Opawesome

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »

Wow, thanks for some extremely useful feedback, that seems to be all I need. I only have a small question though, can i get Musicbrainz to only tag some fields (like mood), My other tag-fields are well named, and I don't what it to mess with them.

Opawesome

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »

I am not sure it is possible. Maybe it is. But anyway I never got problems with musicbrainz's tags. I have always found them complete and accurate. Yet I would not advise you to throw 1000 albums in the software and let it all tag by itself.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:21 pm »

I am not sure it is possible. Maybe it is. But anyway I never got problems with musicbrainz's tags. I have always found them complete and accurate. Yet I would not advise you to throw 1000 albums in the software and let it all tag by itself.

I would suggest you create a few new library fields, can call them Good [field], i.e. Good Name, Good Genre, Good Album, etc, then do a copy/paste fields from your current, correct fields into these new fields, then if something gets jacked up, you can copy back from the new Good fields.

this has saved me a few times now :)

have fun.
pretend this is something funny

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:08:55 am »

Thanks for the tip, but this sound like quite a hassle for my setup, I want to set mood automatically for thousands of albums. I do not want to manually check every tag afterwards.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:39 am »

I think the whole process of creating the fields, then the copy/paste took me less than 10 minutes.  i still consider it a good "backup" of that data that I think is important to me.

You don't need check anything that you wouldn't want to check just to be sure the tagging got done correctly.  in other words, you're probably going to want to check to see if the mood was filled correct anyway, so this doesn't create any extra work in checking anything.

if, as you go thru your music after, you discover something got jacked up, just copy/paste from good [whatever] back to whatever.

if you really want to be sure they didn't get touched at all, just copy/paste from good fields as soon as the other is finished.

Or don't; whatever you want :)

It was just a suggestion as to how to "protect" your data before experimenting.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:47 am »

I wasn't trying to sound ungrateful, so I am sorry if it came across that way. I guess a wrong mood isnt very critical, and easy to spot, wrong track names (or just ones with less info than I would like), si much more difficult to spot. So i would rather just set the mood for thousands of albums without checking it afterwards. I might be possible to somehow automate the copying of all tags over to a new field and then compying it back i guess, but I am not sure how that can be done.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »

Seems like Piccard supports a kind of scripting, I am experimenting abit with it now, and hopefully that can make it so that just some tags are written.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:26:35 pm »

I wasn't trying to sound ungrateful, so I am sorry if it came across that way.

No problem, you didn't. :)

I might be possible to somehow automate the copying of all tags over to a new field and then compying it back i guess, but I am not sure how that can be done.

I sounds like you still don't quite get what i'm suggesting, since you say you're not sure how to do it;)

if you have the names and genres (for example) of your files just how you want them today, I suggest you create new fields called Good Name and Good Genre (and any others you think might get overwritten accidentally). Select all the files that you are happy with the names and genres (can be your whole library, or a part, or just one file), then r-click, Library tools, Move / Copy Fields...

select Name as the Source, select Good Name as the Destination, and select Copy (leaves source) as the action.  it will copy the names you are happy with to a new field.

do whatever you want to do in automating the importation of the mood, and whatever else it brings in, then once finished, use the copy / paste fields again, but use good name as the source and name as the destination and you'll copy back what you started with, assuring that anything that may have been changed by the import gets copied back over with the original data.

it's all very fast; at least it was the last time i used this trick.

it's also a good way to backup your known good fields, just in case something happens one day by mistake.

flac.rules

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 01:44:22 am »

Ah, ok, I think i get it now, seems like this can be done pretty easily for a huge amount of files. It will be a few steps, but it seems like i can populate my entire db with mood tags more or less automatically now with the combined efforts of picard and MC :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up