INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I open with "Windows Photo Viewer"?  (Read 2654 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
How do I open with "Windows Photo Viewer"?
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:53 am »

How do I set up to right click a .jpg and open with "Windows Photo Viewer" via MC's "Send to (external)" ?

I'm running W7 Pro (x64). Windows Photo Viewer is not an app as I understand it, but rather a component of rundll32.exe. I could be wrong, I just found that info on a forum.

The reason I want it is sometimes I want to view a bunch of images in a directory to identify/read/magnify an image when I'm not sure which image contains the text I'm looking for. I don't want to lose my place in MC or have to <alt>+<<-> a bunch of times to get back to where I was.

Anyway, is there a way to do this? And if so, what are the parameters that I'd need to put in?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I open with "Windows Photo Viewer"?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

Select a few images and click the magnifying glass in the upper left corner of the image.  It's MC's viewer.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:10 am »

From where?

My current tree view is Audio=>Artist/album with an album selected. My current view is details grouped by media type. If I select all of the jpgs, and hoover over the rotating images in the upper left of the tag window, I see click for image view. If I do, the image pane opens with a message stating "<various external images>".

I must be doing something different than what you anticipated. How do I see what you're trying to show me?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:34:08 am »

Select one or two, not all.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:32 am »

Well, that kind of defeats the purpose. I need to review all of them individually and have the ability to magnify, pan etc to see text in the images. With the image viewer so small, it's impossible for me to tell which image has the text I'm looking for.

BTW, I selected two images and got the same <various external images> message in the Image pane. If I look at each one individually, once again, they are too small. (some of these images are quite large scans of album art or booklet pages)

Do you know if there's a way for me to call to Windows Photo Viewer or is there another suggestion you might have for me?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:44 am »

Did you click on the little magnifying glass?  It has a plus inside.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »

I think you guys are talking about two different things.  Jim is talking about when you are browsing images, not music.  It seems you are talking about viewing music cover art in the Tag window.  I don't think there is any way to send that to an external viewer.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:26:56 pm »

JimH,
I have never seen a magnifying glass. Where would I see it?

cncb,
I mostly only have music and album art, etc. in my library. Because I want to review covers, art etc. at the same time that I'm tagging music, I've customized the view for "Audio" by customizing the view settings. I've set the rules for file display "Included Files" to display "Media Type"s of Audio, Data, Image, Playlists, Unknown, and Video (I do have some music videos and DVDs).

Based on the implication that I would have more options in the "Images" portion of the tree, I looked at some images through the images portion of the tree and got the same results. 

BTW, I wish I could disable the "Images", "Video", and "Documents" sections of the tree. I kind of can by disabling the features through the general options, but although I can still see that the files are there, MC removes support for them so that won't work for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

In the middle of this picture, right under the text.  It's an Image view, not Audio.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:39:36 pm »

If enabled, the tooltip will show a large thumbnail of an image. For the best possible "zoom," double-click on an image to show in Display View—where it use the whole display and zoom. Double-click to return. If you need it in a window so you can see the image and MC at the same time (e.g., so you can view a cover or booklet and tag at the same time), then use SendTo to open it in a viewer. If you can't figure out how to do it with Windows Photo Viewer, use a different viewer.

I can't try it because I've replaced Explorer with Directory Opus...What happens if you just SendTo Explorer? Wouldn't Photo Viewer just be a few clicks away?

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »

rick.ca,

Yeah, what you're describing in MC is definitely more clicks than I'm willing to deal with. Plus, I have to navigate more within MC than I want to to get back to where I wanted to stay in the first place. That's why I wanted to open something simple (like Windows Photo Viewer) via MC's send to.

I too use Directory Opus as an explorer replacement. I already had a Send to of "Lister" set up. From there, I can open the viewing pane or simply double click in Directory Opus to get to the Windows Photo Viewer. I have been doing this already, but I wanted an option to call Windows Photo Viewer directly through the send to function. That way when I'm using it frequently enough, it will still be on my list of 8 most recently used tasks via the right click menu in MC.

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »

You're forgetting the #1 Rule of MC—If you think it can't be done, you're probably mistaken. ;D

The screen shot shows a view that includes images with audio, so album art is visible with the music files. A detached Display View shows the currently "playing" item—the 7th image of the album's booklet. It's zoomed 150% and panned to show a blurb of interest. I was happy with where the window was placed, so I turned-off it's borders for more viewing room. With the window selected, the usual arrow key controls are available. I can select different images and zoom with those, and pan and zoom with the mouse.

Soon after taking the screen shot, I realized the idea of tagging a Doors album without listening to it was silly in the extreme. It's not possible to play music and art at the same time, so I switched to another zone for listening while working with this view. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up