INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Research DAC8 ASIO driver Issue with JRiver  (Read 2612 times)

coxhaus

• Recent member
Audio Research DAC8 ASIO driver Issue with JRiver
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

I have a home built music server with an issue with the Audio Research ASIO driver and JRiver.  The motherboard is a Xeon Intel 5000 series board without built-in sound.  In JRiver I have selected the output driver to use ASIO. Everything works but not well. What I have discovered is I think the ASIO setting is using direct sound rather than bypassing the Microsoft kernel. If I change the volume level using the speaker controls on the right of the tool bar it will change the volume of the sound going to my USB DAC8 from JRiver. I thought using an ASIO driver with JRiver should by pass all the Microsoft sounds and controls. Does anybody have an idea as to why this happening?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio Research DAC8 ASIO driver Issue with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »

I thought using an ASIO driver with JRiver should by pass all the Microsoft sounds and controls. Does anybody have an idea as to why this happening?

It's up to the ASIO driver to decide if it will disable the volume.  In my experience, about half of cards disable the volume and half don't.

In Media Center, in the Player > Volume menu, you can switch how Media Center manages and/or presents the volume.  Also, in ASIO options (Options > Audio), make sure you pick the name of the volume device since the ASIO name often won't exactly match the system name.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

coxhaus

• Recent member
Re: Audio Research DAC8 ASIO driver Issue with JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »

"In Media Center, in the Player > Volume menu, you can switch how Media Center manages and/or presents the volume.  Also, in ASIO options (Options > Audio), make sure you pick the name of the volume device since the ASIO name often won't exactly match the system name."

I tried to disable volume in MC under Player > Volume menu by selecting disable volume. It has no affect on volume. I can still change volume using Microsoft's volume control.
In the ASIO options I have selected the DAC8 because there is no other option. There is no built-in sound on this motherboard. It is a Xeon server motherboard without sound which may be part of the problem as I can not assign Microsoft sound's to a built-in sound device.

Pages: [1]   Go Up