INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4P Files hanging MC 16.0.87  (Read 1686 times)

kewe65

• World Citizen
M4P Files hanging MC 16.0.87
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »

I've started having troubles playing these files with one of the last couple of updates.

Playback of any m4p file actually crashes the application every time i try to play one.  Playback settings are set explicitly for quicktime and they play in iTunes

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: M4P Files hanging MC 16.0.87
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:50 pm »

I don't think MC specifically supports DRMed MP4 playback...  If they are audio files, the best bet by far would be to upgrade your iTunes library to remove the crappy encryption and improve the audio quality.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:06:08 am »

It has *always* played these files using the quicktime engine...   until now

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:13:16 am »

It has *always* played these files using the quicktime engine...   until now

I know it did at one point.  Unfortunately, I don't own any myself to try (I refused to buy music online with DRM), and I suspect that the developers don't have any lying about anymore either, since they're no longer even sold by Apple.  That means that what used to work, probably can't be guaranteed to always work with those encrypted files, because it really isn't being targeted or tested anymore.  It really comes down to this:  DRM Sucks.

That said... I don't KNOW for a fact that it doesn't work anymore, except for your report.  There could, possibly, be something weird or broken in your configuration that is causing it, rather than a change in MC itself.  Perhaps someone else who has some still can chime in?

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

Thanks - yes, i agree about DRM.  These are files I purchased when the iTunes store was brand new and I didn't really know much about the impact of DRM.  I haven't purchased stuff from Crapple for 4 or 5 years.  That said, I probably have 3-400 of these files in this type that i dont want to get rid of or replace.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

I understand.  So you know, you can "upgrade" those files to DRM-free versions with iTunes, but it isn't free.  It works out to $0.30 per track, or 30% of the album purchase price (usually around $3).  As part of the "upgrade" they also up the quality of those files from 128kbps AAC to 256kbps AAC, which can be a substantial real-world improvement, depending on the source audio.

Here's the FAQ from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711

I think they should have offered to do this for free.  A lot of the "FUD" out there is just that Apple is doing this because they're greedy.  Maybe... But maybe it isn't so simple.  Knowing something about how digital music sales royalties work, it is always billed per-file-transferred.  That's why Apple and Amazon don't let you re-download files you've already purchased more than once, because the labels make them pay again.  For the iTunes Plus "upgrade", I bet the Record Companies are counting these "upgrades" as additional sales, and demanding their full royalty payments as though you had just re-purchased them.  The majors really hate Apple, and really didn't want to give up on their DRM dreams.

If this is/was the case, then Apple could never do it for free.  If so, they'd essentially have to take a loss for every single song ever sold on the iTunes store up until this change was made, which is a HUGE amount of money.

Of course, they do also like to charge for "add on sales", so who knows... Maybe it is a profit center.  I doubt it though.  The iTunes Music Store is chump change to Apple.  They use it to drive sales of iPod hardware, not to generate huge profits.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »

Yep, i did check that out - thanks.   Comes to $93.90 to upgrade my library.   Would consider it if it turns out its not a configuration error with my system but just that MC no longer works with those files...

"It's a mixed up muddled up, shook up world...."

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

Yeah.... Hopefully someone else out there sees this and has some protected M4P files laying about still!

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »

Interesting - so i upgraded MC from .087 to .097 and tried a file again.

it froze MC but i didn't click anything and i then got distracted with something else..    about 2 minutes later the track started playing.   i tried this on another track, same result.  then back to the first track, same result

so, what do think is 'processing' here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »

Try the next build, probably later today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up