INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Issue: Strange "Checkerboard" Pattern unless Using Windows Media Engine...  (Read 2304 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Hey all,

I'm having video playback issues. When playing video, audio is ok, but the video has a strange transparent white checkerboard-like pattern/display over the top of it.  If I switch the 'options/video/playback method' from "automatic" to "Windows Media Player Engine" then it works fine. This was also true in MC 14. It was working fine some time ago, then this issue. I could provide a screen-shot of the behavior, but I'm not sure how to do that in Interact.

Loving this upgrade, though.

Thanks for any help!
BigCat

=============
Media Center 16.0.99 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 16\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2001 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 985 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:0  MaxSpeed:0  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)
  Sleep Timer (Active)
  Write Playing (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It is probably a DirectShow problem.  Take a look at the Red October thread here.  Try with it on and with it off.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...

Thanks for the reply Jim,

Sorry, I posted before seeing the other "Video Problems Go Here" thread, though my problem may be separate.  I did as you asked, and after experimenting with RO on and off, MC 16.0.99 still played the video with the checkerboards.  I set it back from "automatic" to "Windows Media Player Engine" and it worked OK again.

Then I messed with the Video Renderer and I got it to work (using JRiver Video Engine) with both Video Mixing Renderer 7 and Haali Video Renderer.  All the others produced checkerboards except "Legacy Video Renderer", which didn't work and gave me the "unspecified error".  Also, I had to have RO enabled or else I also got "unspecified error".

Perhaps I picked the wrong build to fix this pre-existing problem (that I've had for several months and two versions of MC), since I see the other problems with (the new) Red October.  :)

Should I just wait a build or two to figure it out?  Or can I be of any help in dialing in RO (I can post info in the other thread if you like)?  I have an older system.

Thanks again,
BigCat

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You could wait a few builds and use the one from the download page in the meantime.  Expect a fix by the end of this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up