INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC suffers from insomnia when MC is running [SOLVED]  (Read 1774 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
PC suffers from insomnia when MC is running [SOLVED]
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:17 am »

Hi!

With MC (and/or library server) running, if I put my PC in standby/sleep mode, it wakes up again after 10-15 seconds. How do I prevent this from happening? I don't mind if the PC wakes up if I try to access it through DLNA or using a remote, but since no DLNA, but even that I'd like to control myself. Are there any settings I can change? Opened MC options and searched for "wake" and "sleep", found nothing.

Now I have to shut down both MC and library server to be able to put my PC to sleep at night, and it's kinda annoying that I have to manually start MC again after I wake up my PC in the morning.

I do have an Android device with Gizmo installed, but this happens even when my phone is disconnected from the network.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PC suffers from insomnia when MC is running
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:14:03 am »

Your PC may be set to wake on network activity.  It may be a bios setting.

audunth

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:18:48 am »

It's disabled in the BIOS. And I can't connect to my shared drives when it's in sleep mode, so I'm fairly sure it's not the network that's causing it. It even goes to sleep with an active Remote Desktop session. And it only happens when MC (or library server) is running. Are there any options in MC to control wake from sleep behaviour? It's supposed to wake up the PC when you connect to the library server, isn't it?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:23 am »

I've been seeing the same issue for a long time.  

I have Wake on LAN turned off in the bios, but when I put a LS client to sleep it wakes itself up after a few seconds.  After several attempts it will stay asleep.

Richard

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:08:43 am »

I have seen the same behavior although it happens in a very random fashion. Wake on LAN is turned off in the BIOS.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 06:36:17 pm »

It seems I'm also experiencing this  ?

I have wake on LAN turned on, though (for Gizmo)...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Go to Device Manager, expand the Network adapters section, right click the in-use network adapter, and then select the Properties.  Go to the Power Management tab.  Check the device can be turned off to save power, and you can uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer".
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »

I had the same problem. It's probably not wake on LAN though. There have to be a very specific package sent, before the computer is turned on I think. I would rather check all the settings for power. Remove the option to wake up from usb, network adapter (not the same as Wake on LAN), and so on in BIOS or the properties on the hardware in Windows. It was the network adapter in my case.

*Edit*
MrC beat me to it. Try his suggestion first, and if that's not working, you might have to check in BIOS. It should work though. I just can't remember right where I set the options.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:01 pm »

MrC beat me to it.

I'd call it a "tie". :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

audunth

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:08:55 am »

My PC's insomnia is gone, don't know why (one of Windows' many mysteries), but now it works like it's supposed to. Goes to sleep, stays asleep and wakes up when I connect with Gizmo from my Android phone. My Samsung TV can't seem to wake it up, but that's probably because it doesn't try to connect if the server isn't on in the first place.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up