INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Status Report -- Problems Go Here (Build 101)  (Read 9632 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Video Status Report -- Problems Go Here (Build 101)
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »

With build 101, video is working with Red October set on, with the possible exception of XP installations.  Microsoft's "Merit based" DirectShow selection will also now work.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video Status Report -- Problems Go Here (Build 101)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

build 101.  Great progress!

With Windows Merit selected and madVR as "default" and with madVR as my explicit vidren for MKVs, MC is using EVR.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »

build 101.  Great progress!

With Windows Merit selected and madVR as "default" and with madVR as my explicit vidren for MKVs, MC is using EVR.
Did you choose the HQ Red October option?

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »

Nope, per my msg, I have "Windows Merit" selected, which I'm assuming, is mutually exclusive to any of the RO options (meaning, no RO).
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »

With Red October enabled, I still have the problem of subtitles showing by default even though I have selected in the Options -> Video that they should not be shown. I have seen this happen mostly for MTS and M2TS file containing H.264 HD video files from personal camcorder of DSLR camera video.

If needed, I can upload a sample video file somewhere online (please suggest where/how if you have a preference).

Thanks,
Osho

roolark

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »

The Red October implementation really messed up a good thing I had going with MC. My video and audio or horribly out-of-sync with or w/o RO on. My filters/renderers have either been removed, or their settings changed, to the point where I have no idea how to get back to a working state.

Now, regarding settings. I've tried uninstalling MC completely, selecting to remove registry entries. On reboot and install of old version .87, the messed up filter settings, media network settings, etc. all remain. (Just no RO option)

So then, I tried completely uninstalling again, including the library files (I copied a backup to my desktop). I then removed every reference on my computer of MC I could find. I deleted it in the AppsData folder on all my user accounts, deleted the remaining contents of the Program Files folder for it. I used Ccleaner to check for and remove all lingering registry entries. I basically removed it the way I would manually a virus... I was thorough.

I then did the same for the CCCP filters, and every other filter file I could find.

When I re-installed MC 16.0.87 (the last known working good one)... THE SETTINGS WERE BACK. All of them... Media Network (I use this to verify settings are gone, but they were there). The filter-settings... everything. The only noticeable difference was the MC had to re-download components to play my videos (which still played out of sync). I didn't even have to restore the library for this to happen. The library was empty, but the settings remained.

How can I remove the settings for Video? What can I possibly do to reset this stuff to a clean install? I'm tired of banging my head against the RO settings.

roolark

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Good News! I had been having audio/video sync issues every since upgrading to .99-.100. I couldn't remove settings when uninstalling, etc... but .101 fixed the problems. My audio/video are perfectly in-sync now.

Thank you!

(I'm using Windows Server 2008 x64)

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:41 am »

I'm on Win7.

All of my videofiles plays nicely.

Only one problem left now, I cannot get the subtitles to show on MKV files,
they are all decoded in the program, MakeMKV.

Thomas

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:04:56 am »

On XP.

RO does not play video, the usual unexpected error is given. With RO off, video does play but I get some odd behaviour with some MKVs. The original aspect ratio is wrong and so I had it set to the correct aspect ratio, with RO off I can no longer change the aspect ratio.

I didn't check but perhaps the aspect ratio problem applies to all files. That's just speculation though.

I'm back to .87 again.

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:44:01 am »

Good job on the Red October feature, I know there has been some trouble, but the feature is great and the problems seems to get ironed out pretty quick. The new HQ-feature is great as well.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:50:07 am »

Good job on the Red October feature, I know there has been some trouble, but the feature is great and the problems seems to get ironed out pretty quick. The new HQ-feature is great as well.
Thanks!  It was a little bumpy.  We appreciate everyone's patience.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:55:05 am »

On XP.

RO does not play video,... I'm back to .87 again.
Make sure you tried 101.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:07 am »

It was 101. I had nothing at all working with 100, so I guess there was some improvement for me.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:57 am »

on my WinXP

All files inside matroska.

RO with additional filters:
   mpeg4 asp/mpeg2:
     - DirectShow error 0x8004005
     - probably trying to use LAV cuvid
   h264:
     - works as expected, subtitles visible as ffdshow raw decoder appear in the chain
     - Core AVC as a decoder.

Merit based:
   mpeg2/mpeg4 asp:
     - LAV Cuvid selected as video decoder
     - get no subtitles (ffdshow raw doesn't get loaded)
     - WMR9 is used as a renderer even though MadVR is selected in options.
  h264:
     -  Core AVC as a decoder
     - get no subtitles (ffdshow raw doesn't get loaded)
     - WMR9 is used as a renderer even though MadVR is selected in options.

My working configuration for 16.086 was CoreAVC for h264, LAV Cuvid for mpeg2/mpeg4 asp/VC1, ffdshow raw for subtitles and ffdshow for everything else.

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:37 am »

using Build 101

i still can't get a completed download of the required components for Red October. i see it downloading a 5.3mg but it just disappears when it hit about 3.7 megs, then it pops up again adding required components.

ideas?

Scott
Scott

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

using Build 101

i still can't get a completed download of the required components for Red October. i see it downloading a 5.3mg but it just disappears when it hit about 3.7 megs, then it pops up again adding required components.

ideas?
Security software?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:58 am »

On XP.

RO does not play video, the usual unexpected error is given. With RO off, video does play but I get some odd behaviour with some MKVs. The original aspect ratio is wrong and so I had it set to the correct aspect ratio, with RO off I can no longer change the aspect ratio.

I didn't check but perhaps the aspect ratio problem applies to all files. That's just speculation though.

I'm back to .87 again.

Could you email a log (Help > Logging) to matt at jriver dot com showing a play failure with build 101 and Red October on?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:02 am »

it's not a security issue. i do not run anti-virus or anything on these 2 computers.
but i did manage to get it to work. call it a fluke if you will.

i had MC running the server on computer a. went to computer b and connected to library. as soon as i click to play a video, computer a starts downloading 2 files. a 2.9m and a 5.3m. it downloaded the 2.9m no problem. as it starts the second file, it stops at about 3.6 to 3.7 and then starts over. i watched it do this about 6 times. i finally right click MC in the tool bar and hit closed. well, it closed in the middle of this download and this time it finished. so i opened it again running the server. went back to computer b to play the video. computer b downloads those same files but without a glitch.
so, there you have it. its running now.
i wish i knew what it was.

Scott
Scott

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

Did some more testing...

RO with additional filters:
  - seems that DirectShow error with mpg2/mpg4 asp comes if I have selected CORE AVC as an additional filter. Maybe MC tries to add Core AVC to the filter chain when trying to play mpeg2/mpeg4 asp which it of course can't decode.
  - If I change Core AVC to LAV Cuvid the mpg2/mpg4 asp videos start playing but there is no subtitles even though ffdshow raw is in filter chain and MC knows that video has subtitles.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47:52 am »

Will RO with advanced filters use the new LAV CUVID 0.7 decoder or will I need to switch to merit-based selection? Are all new versions of the LAV series white-listed or just certain versions?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 11:19:22 am »

Will RO with advanced filters use the new LAV CUVID 0.7 decoder
Yes it will.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 11:07:37 pm »

Could you email a log (Help > Logging) to matt at jriver dot com showing a play failure with build 101 and Red October on?
As I am still having the same errors with .103, I have sent you a log. I hope it is of some help.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 02:51:52 am »

Filters, Splitters, Decoders... I just can't get into them at all.

So far, throughout the Red October dev cycle, I've felt truly blessed as everything at my end has just worked, subtitles and all, while, it seems, all around me have taken some form of pain...

Well, now it's my turn...

With build 103, and Hi Quality Red October selected, some things I'm not sure about...

• Playback is exclusively MKV files, mostly 1280 pixels wide, some 1920.
  • Whenever I do something that brings up the OSD, a label flashes in the top left corner, first, it says "Windowed", then, when the OSD goes away, the screen flicks off to "all black" for a second, then comes back with an "exclusive" label shown briefly in the top left, all because I flashed up the OSD to see how much of the movie was left to go. I don't particularly like that.
  • Now and again, there is a glass progress bar all the way along the bottom of the screen, and it won't go away. This appears to be connected with where the cursor may be in the background, as I've rebooted, thus placing the cursor in the center of the screen, and it does not show this bottom progress bar. It pops up again though if the mouse gets near the screen edge. The cursor position is not something I really want to be concerning myself with, especially as I very rarely even see it.

-marko

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 02:57:58 am »

What you are seeing is madVR switching between Windowed and Exclusive mode.  Exclusive mode is the highest quality but you then don't get any OSD, so if you Pause etc, it have to go back to Windowed mode so that the status bar etc can be drawn over the top.  There is no way round this behaviour so if you find that this is too distracting, then you:
1) ether run off exclusive mode in madVR or
2) don't use madVR (eg stick to "normal quality")
JRiver CEO Elect

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 04:41:13 am »

• Whenever I do something that brings up the OSD, a label flashes in the top left corner, first, it says "Windowed", then, when the OSD goes away, the screen flicks off to "all black" for a second, then comes back with an "exclusive" label shown briefly in the top left, all because I flashed up the OSD to see how much of the movie was left to go. I don't particularly like that.
by playing with MadVR settings (flush settings I think) you cand reduce the effect. Mine is just a little skip now when going to windowed mode.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 05:14:59 am »

Got it jmone, thank you.

During video playback, right click, direct show filters, right click on madVR, et viola, settings!

I took off the three second delay and disabled the seek bar and will see how that goes for a while before deciding to turn off exclusive mode. Picture quality is outstanding, though I'm not immediately aware of any difference in quality between exclusive and windowed.

All this time I've just been happy that they play and look OK while doing so, all of ths Red October development is exactly what I need. I salute you, and the rest of the splitter/filter experts who have helped bring us to build 103. I've followed the threads, despite them baffling and bewildering me, with great interest, I just cannot seem able to absorb any of it :(

"Use D3D11" was unticked, so I ticked it... all those other 'flush' and build in advance things I left well alone... for me, they had 'break video playback forever' pouring out them!! :D

I remember years and years ago, 2001 perhaps, downloading a 'new' video codec called divx alpha 3.0a along with a cool video clip of a plane landing on a highway, using an old lady's car as it's front wheels (or should that be 'undercarriage'?) That was my first dalliance with codecs.

Red October is going to be a major selling point for MC16, well worth the effort, wish I could have contributed more, so pleased that others did.

Regards,
-marko.

Ahh, lepa,
you posted while I was typing... flush settings eh? o-ok, so, there's two sets, what to play with first, windowed or exclusive, or both, and what do they do anyway? :)

-marko

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 06:20:47 am »

I'm no expert so maybe misinformation here but I think that it means that cached commands to gpu are executed before mode switch.

Then again I tried to fiddle with settings again and wasn't able to reproduce that blank screen "issue" so maybe  it is more HW issue as I recently uppgraded my 8500GT to GT 430 and it might be (most probably) that I had the black screen thing only with my old 8500gt...

Nowdays I only get a very brief pause in picture when MadVR changes the rendering mode.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 09:11:11 am »

I am really happy with the progress MC has made in the Theaterview and video area lately. So much, so that I went out an invested in a new HTPC. I choose an ASRock Vision 3D, since I had good experience with the ION 330 before that. Now I can play Blu-ray directly in MC instead of having MC mounting an ISO that would be played back in PowerDVD. I think you guys have done a fantastic job with the last couple of builds!!!

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and have not installed any filters manually.  I really want to stick with RO and nothing else if I can get a way with it.  Audio is bitstreamed to my AV receiver.

Below is the current status with my video files in both RO modes. Build 103.

RO:
DVD - OK
Blu-ray - OK
AVI - OK
WMV HD - Jerky/stuttering playback
WMV - Jerky/stuttering playback
WTV - OK
MPG - OK
TS - OK

RO HQ:
DVD - OK
Blu-ray - OK
AVI - OK
WMV HD - Jerky/stuttering playback
WMV - Jerky/stuttering playback
WTV - Does not play. I get a Directshow unspecified errror dialog window.
MPG - OK
TS - Play most of the times. I do see MC crashing from time to time.

I followed the setting for MadVR Marko and Jmone discussed, earlier in this thread and it made the messages from MadVR much less intrussive.

All in all, I am very close to have the perfect set-up for my files. Again, great job on guys. This will make MC much more attactive to a wider audience.

TLS.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 11:36:21 am »

All this time I've just been happy that they play and look OK while doing so, all of ths Red October development is exactly what I need. I salute you, and the rest of the splitter/filter experts who have helped bring us to build 103.

Here, here!  This is getting really slick.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 04:40:30 pm »

• Playback is exclusively MKV files, mostly 1280 pixels wide, some 1920.
I have seen the same thing. this is a new behaviour. I will try tinkering with the settings...

ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:36 pm »

On the madVR stuff, if you want any advice I'd suggest putting it into this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62727.0 (as the dev "madshi") does reply and normally corrects the "well intentioned" advice that many of us give!  ...but any way I'd suggest that you don't really need to tweak any buffer settings (or even use D3D11) unless you are seeing fluidity issues when video is playing - I don't think that make any difference with the windowed <--> exclusive behaviour.  While the rendering in Exclusive mode is "better" it only matters if you even see a difference in your setup.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up