INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrified to try RO  (Read 2837 times)

Grape Ape

• Recent member
Terrified to try RO
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:10:05 pm »

I have never had good luck getting my .mkv files to play using DD or DTS. I usually have to sacrifice a sheep, make sure all the planets are aligned with the Earth, pray to the DTS and DD gods before I even attempt to get things working. Then, after hours of frustration, I will do something unreproducible to get it to work. Then I make everyone tiptoe around the rumpus room, whispering love mantra's to all things JRiver. This scenario has replayed itself many times over the years. This is why I hate updating MC. Usually the updates don't bother my settings, but occasionally they do. Then it's off to Costco to buy another sheep.

To be fair, my HTPC is 3+ years old, running XP. I have so much time invested that as much as I want to install Windows 7, I can't quite muster up the courage to do so. I have 2 HDPVR's and 2  PVR250's running BTV so smoothly, it's like an appliance.

I was so tempted to update to the newer builds with RO, but I resisted as Costco was out of live sheep the last time we went. Boy, am I glad I resisted. In theory, RO is exactly what I want, but I will wait until all the bugs are out and I am good and drunk before I give it a shot.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Terrified to try RO
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »

I haz spare sheep.....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:36:14 pm »

LMAO

I also have an old XP laptop and worse... I don't pay enough attention to the video formats, containers, much less the splitters, etc to figure out what I need to sort out any kind of problem..

Since I like sheep.... and the video stuff is hardly a priority...... I resist the urge to update...  but I look at the new features to find that reason to hate sheep once more!..

Boy do I want RO to work...    so one big atta boy for all of those people with video upgrade demands and good feedback to JRiver.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »

had a good laugh, thanks

You could make a system image with Acronis (a quick and painless process). Then if something deep breaks you can restore your system to exactly the way it was prior to updating. I'm sure Acronis is cheaper than a sheep.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:49 pm »

If your video files aren't that esoteric, and fancy subtitle support isn't important to you, I think it should work pretty well now.  The one thing I can't speak to directly is using it on XP.  I know there were problems before, but I'm pretty sure most of that has been cleaned up.  If you want to be really safe, give it another week.

The one very good thing about the new RO system is that it uses all internal (not registered on the system) filters.  This means, it won't break your existing setup in any other application, and if it doesn't work, you can always roll back to an earlier build and you should be fine.  It downloads some new filters, but they're saved in your User Profile directory for use only by MC, and not "installed" on the system.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:33:47 am »

I am using XP and I couldn't get any MC version with RO to work.
MC just freezes at Opening.... I had to close MC down from task manager.
I did get the Merit system in version. 103 to work for the most part
but ended up reverting to MC version 86 because I saw no benefit
in having a broken version on my computer.

MC version 86 already has Automatic Directshow config under Options/Video/
General Video Settings and that works fine on my system.

I assumed Red October was essentially the same but something major has
obviously changed to have so many different problems. It seems to work
fine for some and not at all for others.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:29:33 am »

I am using XP and I couldn't get any MC version with RO to work.
MC just freezes at Opening.... I had to close MC down from task manager.
Try waiting longer.  The download could take some time if your connection is slow.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:06:50 am »

It downloads some new filters, but they're saved in your User Profile directory for use only by MC, and not "installed" on the system.

This is actually a bit odd. Wouldn't it better to use a common location that would be available to all users if the OS has more than one user? I have previously suggested that by default cover art should be stored in a common, and actually also MC version independent, location. I.e. in a location like ...\AppData\Application Data\All Users\J River\Cover Art. Also the downloaded audio encoders should be stored in a single location if possible.

... or do Windows XP, Vista, & 7 somehow limit how an "all users" location can be accessed and used?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »

had a good laugh, thanks

You could make a system image with Acronis (a quick and painless process). Then if something deep breaks you can restore your system to exactly the way it was prior to updating. I'm sure Acronis is cheaper than a sheep.
Ya, you are right about this. I have a WHS2011 that makes a nightly disk image. I could always go back. I just need to take a deep breath and set aside a good 6 hours to get everything running on W7.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

Red October is working.  It's not perfect, but it's better than letting Microsoft choose DirectShow filters.

I'll make a house call if it doesn't.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:10 am »

Red October is working.  It's not perfect, but it's better than letting Microsoft choose DirectShow filters.

I agree, though I am having some trouble with a few oddball TS files from my PVR, so Jim might have to visit beautiful Maine here.   ;)

But, regarding the original poster's concern... There's really no problem with the new builds.  If RO doesn't work for whatever reason, just set Options -> Video -> DirectShow Selection Method to Advanced "Windows Merit based", and it'll work just like all the old builds did.

With some of the initial versions of RO, there was no good way to turn it off if it didn't work.  Now there is.  We now have a bunch of choices (though the Advanced "with additional filters" choices don't seem to be working right yet).  They are still working on it a bit, but that's no reason to stay away completely right now.

The Windows merit based mode seems to work fine for me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:11 am »

Red October is working.  It's not perfect, but it's better than letting Microsoft choose DirectShow filters.

The plane fare to Australia could be quite expensive. I'm afraid I still get unexpected errors with .104 on all file types. And with windows merit based on, I lose the ability to control aspect ratio, so I'm back to .87 again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:35:09 am »

The plane fare to Australia could be quite expensive. I'm afraid I still get unexpected errors with .104 on all file types. And with windows merit based on, I lose the ability to control aspect ratio, so I'm back to .87 again.
With Red October on?  Not HQ? 

Are you using XP?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:32 am »

XP, yes, and any RO option gives me the error.

I mailed a log to Matt with version 103.

RO did work for me in one of the earliest builds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up