INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solved: Adding Subtitle to VOB movie  (Read 16726 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Solved: Adding Subtitle to VOB movie
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »

Hello,

searched for an answer for my problem, didn't find it. Well, I dare to ask here:

When I add a subtitle file to an MKV container movie and re-import the movie then the movie plays just fine with the subtitle

I tried to do this with a VOB movie, loaded a subtitle as a SRT file but it wouldn't play. Who can tell me how to do this? What name should the file have? Where should I put it? Which format it should have?

Thanks
:)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Question: Adding Subtitle to VOB movie
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:00:42 pm »

MC doesn't have that feature. I've actually suggested this a while ago. At least Zoom Player and VLC supports srt subtitles for DVDs. Currently the only solution is to convert srt to subtitle images and re-authorise main movie VOB files with the new subtitle file.

It would be great if MC could pick up srt subtitles in the video_ts folder with the same filename as the main movie's IFO

For example VTS_01_1.eng.srt, VTS_01_1.ger.srt or VTS_01_1.fre.srt for different languages or simply VTS_01_1.srt without language code.

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:38:16 am »

Any comment from the developers side, Matt or JimH ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:03:49 am »

If you're using Red October with the latest version, you should see subtitles.  Try the On Screen Display (up and down arrows) to select.

globetrotters1

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »

JimH,

could you please be so kind to read my original post? And answer my real question...

I want to ADD a subtitle to a VOB movie and have no idea where I should put the SRT file, how to name it and so on

Thanks

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

bump

JimH, please answer my original question - or Matt...

I know how to add a subtitle stream to a DVD VOB format. But instead demuxing and remuxing all the video, audio and subtitle streams it should exist an easier solution, similar to the situation of MKV movies

Got a solution for me?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »

I don't know.  And support for subtitles is still changing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:45 pm »

Currently MC uses FFSHOW for the subtitle handling.  Do you know if it works in other progs with FFDSHOW (if so then the chances are it can be made to work here).
JRiver CEO Elect

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:08:58 am »

I don't know.  And support for subtitles is still changing.

It would be nice if MC includes the following features:
- increase/decrease of the subtitle fonts,
- vertical and horizontal shift of the subtitle position,
- increase and decrease of the subtitle delay.

Regarding the last point it would be really helpful if this could be changed on the fly and that this is/could be associated with a shortkey.

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:17 am »

jmone,

you seem to have a lot more experience with the filter handling, so could you please be so kind to tell me which filters I have to activate where to be able to test it, fiddle around with it?

We'd all like an easy solution I suppose, so why not working together to find one? :)

thanks for your response

JimH,

I really find it strange that you don't ask the developers to give a serious answer :(

thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:43:00 am »

This is actually something I've used a couple of times in the past... VSFilter could load external subtitle "sidecar files".  Occasionally with foreign language films, I've had to (or chosen to) use downloaded "fan created" SRT files because they are better in some ways.

With VSFilter (pre-RO) this was pretty easy.  If VSfilter was configured correctly, you could just name the file properly and throw it in the right folder alongside the video file.

With the current system, I guess my only choice would be to remux the files into a MKV, which would be annoying to just watch and then delete the files (and would have a pretty low Wife Acceptance Factor).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

globetrotters1

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »

Glynor,

thanks for the response! I tried to find where I could activate VSFilter (DirectVobSub is the same I suppose) but in MC16-Options-Video I cannot set VSFilter as additional filter for IFO-VOB movies... I turned off Red October and I tried Red October with additional filters to no avail...

Could you please be so kind to help?

And can I just drop a SRT file into the VIDEO_TS folder of the movie? or on a higher folder level? with which name?

And another question: I run Win7 x64, have DirectVobSub downloaded and installed for x32 and x64... which should run in a x64 system?

thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »

I haven't really tried... The last time I needed a SRT sidecar file was months and months ago (pre-Red October), and I don't generally rip to VOB/IFO files, so I don't even think I have any lying about to test with...

Sorry.  Someone else may be able to chime in.

I was just commenting that this is a feature that I do occasionally need, so I'd like to see a change in this area.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:00 pm »

If you change from Red October (Standard) or (HQ) to the Advanced -> With Additional Filters version, you will get a new section at the bottom of Options -> Video.  In there, you can select DVD (IFO, VOB) as the file type, and then add DirectVobSub (yes, that's it, I always call it by its old name) manually to the Other Filters section.  It should load it then whenever you have a VOB/IFO file loaded.

The DirectVobSub options are configured via the large green arrow icon that loads in the system tray when it is in-use.

I haven't tried this.  DirectVobSub will need to be on the whitelist, and be able to load with those settings.

globetrotters1

Re: Solved: Adding Subtitle to VOB movie
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »

thanks glynor, after fiddling around with lots of settings I came up with a solution

it works now :)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:39 am »

How about sharing the solution - for others that may run into the same problem.

globetrotters1

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »

Well, CountryBumkin and all other users,

DirectVobSub cannot be used as additional filter for ifo/vob movies (info for glynor) and the ffdshow Video Decoder subtitles simply don't work with SRT files (although it says it does, oh well)

The simplest solution is to use MKVMerge (MKVToolnix, free, download here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html), there the first VOB part should be added (this loads the video and the audio), then add the SRT language file of your choice (don't forget to set the language code in 'General Track Options') and hit 'Start muxing', 2 minutes later you have a MKV container which plays perfectly fine with MC16 including subtitle

In the future I rip DVD movies directly into a MKV container format, quicker and easier

By the way: the sister project of MKVMerge is MKVExtract, which is the ideal splitting tool for tailoring a movie to your specific needs

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up