INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC adding required components  (Read 2216 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
MC adding required components
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:17:10 am »

Hi,

Is there a way to check exactly what "new components" MC is adding to my system? A log file or something? I like to have 100% control over what's installed on my system and be able to uninstall it if it causes problems. I have a pretty fragile Tacx virtual trainer software installed for my bicycle motor roller, and new codecs added to the system might screw up video playback in that software.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC adding required components
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:41:22 am »

Is there a way to check exactly what "new components" MC is adding to my system? A log file or something? I like to have 100% control over what's installed on my system and be able to uninstall it if it causes problems.
All the Red October components are installed in MC's directory.  You could find them there.  They are completely separate from any regular DirectShow components and the system that loads them is only used with MC.  You could read about specific filters in other threads here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:56 am »

I have a pretty fragile Tacx virtual trainer software installed for my bicycle motor roller, and new codecs added to the system might screw up video playback in that software.

To confirm what Jim said, and reiterate what has been discussed extensively elsewhere... The filters MC is downloading are not registered on the system (in other words, they are not "installed", they are simply "part of" Media Center).  They do not impact the performance or behavior of any other application on the system.  They aren't even available to the other applications on the system, unless you manually take steps to make them available (register them).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

audunth

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up. Good to know I don't have to worry about my Tacx setup or any other potential Directshow issues then :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »

I'm interested in adding required components for a different reason.
My home is off the grid so MC cant obtain any components on its own.
I update MC frequently by bringing home the latest build on a flash drive.

I noticed on my work laptop, which gets connected to the internet, that right now i have
chromium, ffdshow, lav, madvr, mp3_encoder, mpc_encoder, ogg_encoder, installed.
I assume that I can just copy my plugin folder from my laptop to my home pc and red october will work.

So my questions....

How do i keep these components up to date on my PC without internet?

Are there any more components that should be there for red october to function on all possible video formats?

Thanks for any help.
And thank you J River for red october and bluray support. It works great.

maid

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »

I am also interested as to how often MC downloads components and why it would do so for a similar file played the day before.

I am talking about an AVI file that I started to play, it had to download components before it would start, but I played a similar file the day before without downloading new components. The files were both from the same source.

Could it be that as I had installed a new update from JRiver that it loses its previous filters?

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

Sometimes a newer version of a filter needs to be installed.

maid

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:17 pm »

cool
thanks for the quick reply.

I know I am sometimes not very clear when I have a problem and that is because of the technology of all the equipment.

Trying to keep up with it all in our later years is not easy.

Thank you so much for this great program and all the help you give, I personally cant thank you enough. GREAT JOB
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

audunth

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »

What if the new version of a filter contains bugs that break playback? Do you test new versions of filters before allowing MC to automatically download them?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up