INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Bug, MC16 doesn't like how I play videos  (Read 1142 times)

rgadawg

• Recent member
Possible Bug, MC16 doesn't like how I play videos
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:56:57 am »

After countless hours of searching through the settings, the forums, even weird problems, and even more countless hours of experimentation with everything from codecs, reinstalling, weeping, wailing, and knashing of teeth, I may have found my anomolous crashing problem.  I know enough about all the documented issues now that I could teach a course on them, unfortunately, the problem, I suspect, is simple and right under my nose.  It just was one of those Ah Ha moments, then I tested, and it seems to fit the test.  See if you can reaplicate the behavior (and maybe fix it in next release :)

Go to "Videos" library, sorted by File Type.
click on any type and start playing some videos, mine is set to full display, then "close display"
While the video is still playing in mini screen, start up another video OF THE SAME FILE TYPE, and you should be able to do this forever without any crashing

Now, with one of those videos still playing in the mini screen, switch to another File Type, and try to start the video, CRASH

The key to the crash is whether the same file type is playing when you switch to another video, if it's the same File type, no probems,
if it's another file type, CRASH.

Now, a 1 click workaround for this, is to STOP the currently playing video, before starting a video of a different File Type
If another type is not currently playing, then you can switch to a different File Type without a crash.

My habit is to start another video, maybe different file type or not, while the one loaded is still playing.

If this can't be replicated, then I dunno what to do.  I've tried everything I can find on MC crashing

------------------------------

Here's Everything I've done or think may be causing Media 16, 16.0.110 to crash
 Would sure like to get it fixed it's my favorite video library manager, but sure
 not fun crashing every 3rd or 4th attempt to start a video.

I've been through the forum over several times, even the weird issues section

Win7 sp1 x64, on Dell XPS-435/9000, i7 -960, Hyper Threading (8 virtual cores),
 3 MB L3 Cache, 3.2 GHz, 12 GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
 ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card, Driver 8.741.0.0 (5-27-2010)
 Standard Dell 24" HD Screen
 Creative SB Soundblaster® HD X-Fi™ Titanium

I think we can rule out hardware issues, I have plenty of power
 The entire set of library files, about 10,000 are on a USB 2TB Drive,
 which does about 5400, instead of the normal 7200 on internal drives.
 But I don't have any trouble playing off that drive with GOM, or VLC, etc.

The crash is at a very predictable point.  Right when the video is  attempting to load, but it's very inconsistent on what file it will crash on.  I can never get past 3 or 3 plays until the next attempt to play a video crashes MC16.

I can play AVI, then M2V, then MPG and crash at start.   I can play MPG, MP4, then try to play VOB, crash at start.  Interestingly it does this when MC16 is auto playing through the library.

It only crashes when attempting to start a video, and then very inconsistent which video start up it will crash on

I've been through settings a hundred times looking for the culprit there, Changing things many times over experimenting with different scenarios

I looks like a codec issue, like when you have a player without a particular codec, it will hang for a few seconds, but then tell you there's a codec problem.

MC16 maybe just shuts down, instead of telling you there's a codec problem ?

I reinstalled, several times.  Attempted installs with my codec packs uninstalled, etc.
I'm doing clean reboots and checking registry for problems at each install/uninstall

At one point I did find what seemed like a conflict with Roxio programs, uninstalled
Roxio.  Searched out all programs using autoscrobble, made sure that was
disabled in those programs, checked processes, services, for autoscrobble, all clean, but MC16
still crashing.  MC16 does not appear to have autoscrobble in it, unless it's
using another DLL.

Set Red October with additional filters, EVR Enhanced Video Rendering

Turn off auto import in background

Tried setting manually File Types to EVR

Use High Quality Hardware on and off

Under use non-DVD Video
Enable/Disable use WMV Acceleration (use for fast hardware)
Set on and off

This is a great product, btw. It's way better than the studios Adobe, Corel, Roxio, Nero, etc. put out.

The End

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Possible Bug, MC16 doesn't like how I play videos
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:38 am »

Thanks for all the details.  Please try build 111, just posted.  With Red October Standard or HQ, can you still re-create the problem?

If so, please send the Previous Log (after a crash) to matt at jriver along with a link to this thread.

Thanks.

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

OK, I'm on my fifth video playing now, no crashes.  Have 111.  I did a 100% uninstall, registry, views, libraries, everything, rebooted, cleaned registry.  Did new install Express, left the settings in place for "Express" Installed new license. Mainly I associate another player with video to play from File Manager, but left that. While installing turned off virus, spyware, firewall, dumped all my memory resident progs, then let MC16 build the entire DB without touching a thing, backed up, rebult my views, etc.  YES, I'm on my 6th playing video of different type, and all is good. I love this app, I usually don't mess 3 days on an app, just ask for refund, but there's nothing that can touch this for videos.  I still use another program for Audio.  But, nothing beats MC for video management.

Q. I have auto import set to my 10,000 videos DIR, and often in MC will use explorer to move files into sub DIRS, when I do the library automatically updates correctly? Any changes I make in the MC explorer tree for my video DIR, automatically update in the library ?

Thanks, sorry for the long messages

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:53:53 am »

After some more experimentation, I'm shooting in the dark, but it may be "madVR" problem, as long as filter defaults to "EVR" everything works, if filter goes to "madVR" possible crashes occur.  I can send you a log if you want, but I think I saw this problem is already on the fix list.  Thanks for a great product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up