INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpectedly skipping ahead tracks  (Read 2431 times)

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
Unexpectedly skipping ahead tracks
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »

I am running a client off of a server, both at either .111 or .116 now...

One problem I have been running into frequently as of late is that if I start playing an album, some 10-20% into the track it skips ahead to the next. Then that track will run 10-20% (I cannot figure an exact time from the number of times it has occurred) and then skip to the next. Then, maybe, that third track will play all the way through to the fourth. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to the issue, nor am I certain how to reproduce it.

Could it possibly be my network, or something to do with caching the songs being played from the server? Is there any way for me to confirm this, or otherwise figure out what's happening? I looked into the logging menu, but I didn't see anything apparent to my problem, but I don't know what I'm looking for either.

Any ideas out there? TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unexpectedly skipping ahead tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

What sort of client and server?  DLNA?  Or Library Server?

Are you using a controller like Plugplayer?

Describe how you start playback.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:42:24 pm »

We could both be experiencing the same issue:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64675.0

I've only noticed it occurring when playing podcasts though. I should note that I did not notice this happening until I set up MC16 as a DLNA server... though I'm playing the podcasts in the home zone, not over a DLNA device.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »

stevek: that's basically the same behaviour I am seeing.... like a ghost hitting 'next track' if they decide they don't like it lol..

JimH: I'm using MC16 as both server and client, sharing the library. I previously had checked (on the client) Convert Audio as Necessary to high-quality mp3. I then tried unchecking that to see if there was, again, some network or conversion delays between server and client, but the skipping still occurs. No plugin controller, no.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:06:20 am »

stevek: that's basically the same behaviour I am seeing.... like a ghost hitting 'next track' if they decide they don't like it lol..

JimH: I'm using MC16 as both server and client, sharing the library. I previously had checked (on the client) Convert Audio as Necessary to high-quality mp3. I then tried unchecking that to see if there was, again, some network or conversion delays between server and client, but the skipping still occurs. No plugin controller, no.
Confirm that you are running Library Server, not DLNA Server.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:51:29 am »

Yes, Library server... accessed on client using code given by server.

Confirmed last night both client & server updated to .116, skipping still happening.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:36:14 pm »

Today, updated both to .119. Created new library and started importing my files. Still seems to skip ahead to the next track without warning, no consistency and thus hard to replicate.

Before I start going back to older versions, which I will have to do if this continues, how on earth do I read these log files? Some of that info may be helpful, but I'm hardly sure what I'm looking for. Is there some Wiki information out there that might help me pinpoint the source of this problem?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:10 am »

Are you using any third party plug-ins or anything else unusual?  This is an odd problem.

How are you starting playback?  A playlist, or a group of tracks?  What filetypes?  Local files?

Is it just podcasts?

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:24 am »

No plugins or anything else, no. Yes, it is odd, and freakin' annoying :)

On the MC Library client machine, I simply find an album I want to listen to and double-click the first track to start playing. MP3 tracks seem to be more prone to this skipping than flac, but I have not confirmed this. Not local, no. Library server files.

I don't listen to podcasts, the other guy did.

Now, I'm certainly not blaming MC16 for the problem; it could be my server machine (ram, hdd, network) failing, or it could be my network failing. But I don't see any other issues on either machine that would point to these issues.

Next step I'll try uninstalling both server and client and trying a fresh install. But I'd still like to figure out what I'm looking at in the logs.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »

You know, I'm gonna bet that it's my client computer. Whether it's the MC16 installation or something else in the OS conflicting.... I dunno.

That machine is due for a re-install so I'll bet bottom dollar that everything'll be fine afterwards. Will continue reporting if I find anything else.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:46:44 am »

i'm still experiencing these issues in build 176. it makes listening to podcasts, for me, very very frustrating.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:26 am »

more odd podcast behavior:

note the time; it says i'm 32 minutes into a 22 minute podcast (in reality, i was in the first minute of the podcast which played directly after i listened to a 48 minute podcast).

Pages: [1]   Go Up