INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: was not able to get upgrade price from MJ8.0 to MC16  (Read 1501 times)

smfarrer

was not able to get upgrade price from MJ8.0 to MC16
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »

I tried all possible suggestions to do the upgrade, but ultimately just paid full price.  I wanted to send a message, but was not able to gain access to this forum - it would not recognize my email, even though it was the same email from 2003, when i first purchased MusicMatch (before Media Jukebox).  I have a valid license and installation of MJ8 in my system at the moment - but it was not recognized.  Can i get a refund for the difference for the upgrade?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: was not able to get upgrade price from MJ8.0 to MC16
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »

I can't answer if they'll fix the pricing for you (that'll have to be Jim), but a couple of things...

MusicMatch is not J River, so that might be part of your problem.  MusicMatch Jukebox was a completely separate competing application from way back in the day (circa 2001, I'd guess, but I'm remembering vaguely) from a now-defunct company.  It eventually was purchased by Yahoo and rebranded as Y!Music Jukebox, and then later discontinued.

The way the upgrade pricing works for MC is this:

1. You must actually INSTALL your old version, if it isn't already installed, and get it fully licensed (it can't be in trial mode, it must be "registered").

2. Then install the new version.

3. Start the purchase process from within the new version.

4. You'll get the upgrade licensing.

If when you were trying to set up Media Jukebox 8, you were trying to use license/email information from MusicMatch, that would never work, because that's a different product.

J River Media Center used to be called J River Media Jukebox with older versions, but that was the "original" name (from version 1.0).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:53:48 am »

J River Media Center used to be called J River Media Jukebox with older versions, but that was the "original" name (from version 1.0).
I boarded the train at v8.0, back in 2003, and still have the same library going today in MC16. We've travelled some incredible distance in those eight years...

v1.0
You want Nastalgia -- I'll give you nastalgia
Introducing!!! Media Jukebox 1.0.352

v9.0.180

-marko

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:55 am »

v1.0

I still have it installed on my HTPC for laughs.

I think I first "officially" joined the train around v8.0 as well, though I'd tested out earlier versions heavily (I definitely remember testing something in the 7.x range).  MC v9 was a revelation though.  That's when I knew this was "the place to be".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

smfarrer

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:02:05 am »

Well, i was under the impression that JRiver bought MusicMatch at some point and that was how i ended on Media Jukebox - maybe that was wrong.  But what i know for sure, I have been using MJ for many many years with valid licenses - and was even able to reinstall a copy of MJ8.0 on my new laptop, just in the hope of upgrading to MC16 and getting the upgrade price.  I had tried all the mechanism mentioned in the upgrade documentation and nothing worked.  I have already paid full price - so someone with the power to refund would need to be involved.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:29 am »

If you have an MJ8 license, I can't find it.  MJ8 did work with an MJ7 license, but that can't be upgraded.

I'll look further if you want to send me your details.  I'm jimh at jriver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up