INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing menus  (Read 1707 times)

bradbwh

• Recent member
Disappearing menus
« on: March 28, 2003, 03:21:33 pm »

Here's a new one. After near-constant use of MJ8 over many months, the menus have disappeared. I've rebooted the program and Windows many times, but they're gone, gone, gone. I don't remember keyboard commands for menu items, so I can't bring up the preference settings, import files, or much else. Playback works fine. I have no idea how I lost the menus, or how to get them back. Help appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Disappearing menus
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 03:24:51 pm »

This about the fifth time in the last 48 hours that we've heard "MJ has been working for x months and now it's not."

Can you help us find out why?  What has changed?  Any new programs or hardware?  Does Windows update automatically?

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 05:51:51 pm »

No automatic updates of Windows. My last two installations were AOL MusicNet and Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6. (I review these things, lest you think I'd acquire either one by choice.) MJ8 was working for about two weeks before that last installation.

The menus disappeared *while* MJ was running. The disappearance didn't affect non-menu operations.

Umm ... while wer'e figuring this out, could you give me the keyboard command for bringing up the DSP control panel? Is there a list of keyboard commands somewhere?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 01:36:46 am »

>> Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6
I did not know this was out, is it any better than ver 5?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 10:44:59 am »

>> Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6
I did not know this was out, is it any better than ver 5?

I'm not familiar with version 5. Version 6 is extremely problematic. It automatically opens at every Windows boot (installs that way at the registry level), which is always a despicable feature. Also, something is wrong with the ripping engine--it inserts noise into ripped tracks in almost every instance.

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 10:46:52 am »

This about the fifth time in the last 48 hours that we've heard "MJ has been working for x months and now it's not."

Can you help us find out why?  What has changed?  Any new programs or hardware?  Does Windows update automatically?

As I posted in another message, there is no automatic updating of Windows on this machine. MJ8 was working fine after installation of Roxio v6 and AOL MusicNet, then the menus disappeared while the program was operating. I still can't find them!

Any suggestions welcomed. I assume that reinstalling MJ8 will wipe out my library tags...?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 10:49:44 am »

Reinstalling won't affect the database.  

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 11:08:07 am »

Reinstalling won't affect the database.  

Happily, that's true! MJ8 is reinstalled, and the database is intact. Menus are still missing. Any idea what could be causing this? Is there any way they could be hidden by an inadvertant arrangement of panes? Should I be able to invoke them with Alt+F (etc.) keyboard commands? (They do not respond to those commands.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 11:20:58 am »

Try changing the skin.  Try updating the video driver.

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 11:43:51 am »

(ahem)...Maybe I'm being dense, but how do I change skins without access to menu functions? I've right-clicked all over the program trying to find it.

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 12:17:13 pm »

I downloaded several mini-me and mega-me skins from the Web site. No luck with the menus or toolbar, which is also missing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 12:18:41 pm »

It could be the video driver.

bradbwh

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 12:23:51 pm »

It could be the video driver.

OK, I'll try anything. Unfortunately, I don't know what this means. My video driver for the whole computer? Or does MJ have its own video driver? There was some business a few days ago, now that I remember, about MJ being called to try playing a video file--it couldn't do it, and that might be around the same time I lost the menus.

Anyway, sorry to be a nuisance, but could you point me to instructions for updating my video driver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up