INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo and video streaming  (Read 5164 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Gizmo and video streaming
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:28:59 am »

I was doing some testing for xta regarding some issues he was seeing and I can confirm so oddities as well regarding the video conversion.

First my assumptions:
1) ffmpeg is used for the conversion
2) video are always converted to a mp4 1mps ACC video with AAC audio regardless of any DLNA settings in MC
3) video conversion need to finish prior to streaming commencing
4) converted files are temp stored in "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Temp"

Ok my results are not great.  While it seems to work well for low quality originals like DIVX, anything of higher quality seems to have issues such as:
- PAL SD MPEG2/AC-3 (30min TV Eps rip from a DVD):  It tool 3 minutes to convert this 1GB File to a 228MB MP4 but oddly it did not close out the file and start streaming for another 9 minutes.  The resultant file is poorly converted (see pic) and the stream also tends to stall and hang during streaming.

Happy to provide logs, test files, samples etc.

Couple of Questions:
1) Is it possible to start the streaming while conversion is still in process as this would provide the user a more "instantaneous" feel?
2) Is it possible to buffer some content on the Android device to help with connection issues?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Gizmo and video streaming
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:28 pm »

well jmone after running more tests. .avi's are not compatible (they don't stream)
.wmv's work, and so do .mp4 (the .mp4's are diffrent colors/grainy and are not viewable...Your image can at least be seen, mine is just diffrent color lines.

I've been googling and trying to figure out if this streaming player was include with my sensation, or part of another app i may have installed.

I just found it amazing, that i could surf to a network location (movies drive 6) pick a movie and the streamer would play it instantly.

This is something that would be so cool for gizmo to accomplish, Like i mentioned in my other post. the way i'm doing it now, is nice, but it's a round about way, and it takes time for surfing, plus you don't have all files in one app, and you can't see covers, and above all you dont have a one stop shop with a beautiful interface.

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:26:16 am »

Do we have any definitive settings to get video streaming working with gizmo.  I know it was/is being worked on, but I still cannot stream video without getting stuck at the "preparing file" screen.  This is using an asus transformer.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:32:55 pm »

Any new info on this? comments? tests?

I'm still having issues, and it's creating converted files on my c/drive, which will fill up fast with those of us with large libraries
Thanks in advance

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:48 pm »

Stuff is being worked on  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:06:18 am »

great news. Thanks Jmone

I have other Gizmo/droid questions maybe i can ask here?

as you know i was  astrong windows smartphone user. then was forced to move to droid to get jriver to work on phone... so moved to droid
and i must admit loving it.

Few things

on new HTC sensation Dual core

i have gizmo installed. many disconnection issues, reconnection issues, once she loads, and i goto lets say audio/artists/ then P she just disconnects and goes back to attempting connection, i cannot see my artists. now if i chose say ratings/keywords... basically something that doesnt have a large list, she will stay connected. what can i do to fix this? i just got back from a LONG road trip and i could not listen to any of my artists, i had to do a round about way, darn near crashed a few times staring at the screen and re-doing all these steps.  well i decided to pull over and try http/webplayroad and that loaded all artist IMMEDIATELLY with cover arts. was smooth as silk. why do artists load immediately when going from the internet browser but with gizmo it's so flacky?

Also by using webroad/webplay i could not get any files to play, android brought up a error saying there was no program that could play the file do i want to still download it... i chose no because i just want to stream it not download it... what program do we need on android to play our music/stream our videos/view pics from within the browser?

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 03:30:06 am »

Mate - you may not have to wait long.  It is not my place to say what the lads at JR are working on but I don't think you will be disappointed on either Gizmo or Web browser playback....

I think you and I need to form the "WinMo 6.5 Fan Club" ... but I think we would be the only two members!  WinMo7 levels me cold, and thanks to the Galaxy Tab I'm warming quickly to Android so I guess that will be my next phone when the HD2 dies.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:53:34 am »

This is great news.. i guess i'll wait to do anymore troubleshooting then and see what comes of next release/fix.

yeah ive played with winmo7 as well, not a fan of it at all. so far im really pleased with droid. have it on sensation and asus transformer now.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:38 am »

The new build is out,  how is it working for you?
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 01:15:10 pm »

I'm Now Rockin Out! SO Awesome! smooth and FAST! no disconnects either :)

couple questions

1. i'm not finding converted files folder anywhere anymore. does that mean Gizmo fully streams and jriver is not making duplicates anymore? This would be awesome! due to my large libraries and fear of using up/filling up my C-Drive.

2. what is jwplayer? is this a new player for jriver? very nice!

3. i've noticed i don't like my view for movies now that it works.. as i get deeper in it shows the date i want it to show file name as it does with audio (Video, Types, music video, keywords,dance, then it shows artists, then when i click an artist it shows that artists files by date-not filename)... ive went to gizmo/webplay settings and removed sort by date, but it still shows date/not the filename. In fact to make this easier, can i just save my theaterview view, and copy that into my gizmo/webplay views?

4. GF is iphone user. she's away from home today on business and told me audio via webroad is alot faster but no videos will play for her, she's uses quicktime as the default player - is there a different player she should try?

I'm so happy now, i'd pay extra for gizmo! is there a place to donate for gizmo to keep up the research and development of it?

And jmone off topic.. I bought my dad a new tv 55inch sharp aquos.. and it has DLNA on it, it connects to jriver with his library loaded. is it possible for me to be on his pc, load MY jriver library (2 hours away) and then have his sharp tv connect to his pc with my library loaded and be able to play my library? doesnt seem to work at all, but it works when his own library is loaded. Another thing i've noticed is no videos will play on his Sharp tv. (i last tested on version .141)

Thanks Jmone. Thanks JRiver!
I'm Ecstatic!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:08 am »

well i somewhat figured out the answer to #3 - one has to fully exit server, and jriver media center for changes to show. so i got filenames showing now :)

I still haven't found a way yet though to make video view in gizmo the same as in theaterview, so my music videos, movies, and tv shows have different views, is this possible?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:53:30 am »

I'm Now Rockin Out! SO Awesome! smooth and FAST! no disconnects either :)

Good isn't it!

couple questions

1. i'm not finding converted files folder anywhere anymore. does that mean Gizmo fully streams and jriver is not making duplicates anymore? This would be awesome! due to my large libraries and fear of using up/filling up my C-Drive.

It is creating the streaming file in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Temp\VideoStream - XXX.FLV" and is deleted after playback.  I don't see any evidence of the then transcoded file being saved as a stack file for later use (but it used to do this and no doubt could be an option)

2. what is jwplayer? is this a new player for jriver? very nice!

More info on JWPLAYER is here http://www.longtailvideo.com/players it is a third party app and I don't know if it used just because it is on our Tab as the default flash player (this is the format that MC16 is transcoding the streams to).

3. i've noticed i don't like my view for movies now that it works.. as i get deeper in it shows the date i want it to show file name as it does with audio (Video, Types, music video, keywords,dance, then it shows artists, then when i click an artist it shows that artists files by date-not filename)... ive went to gizmo/webplay settings and removed sort by date, but it still shows date/not the filename. In fact to make this easier, can i just save my theaterview view, and copy that into my gizmo/webplay views?
I've not played with the config of the views in this area but you have found the right place.  It would be a great idead to be able to copy other views to this area - I'll make the suggestion.

4. GF is iphone user. she's away from home today on business and told me audio via webroad is alot faster but no videos will play for her, she's uses quicktime as the default player - is there a different player she should try?
Poor girl....(about being a iphone user not your GF!).  You may have to play to see what app may work, I don't know if JWPLAYER or another app will work for her.  Also keep in mind that video playback will be limited by both your upload bandwith and also the download over the phone network.  There is discussions about various additional (lower quality) settings that may be more bandwidth friendly.

I'm so happy now, i'd pay extra for gizmo! is there a place to donate for gizmo to keep up the research and development of it?
Delivery of food (cupcakes, pies etc) seem to be well received at JRiver HQ :)

And jmone off topic.. I bought my dad a new tv 55inch sharp aquos.. and it has DLNA on it, it connects to jriver with his library loaded. is it possible for me to be on his pc, load MY jriver library (2 hours away) and then have his sharp tv connect to his pc with my library loaded and be able to play my library? doesnt seem to work at all, but it works when his own library is loaded. Another thing i've noticed is no videos will play on his Sharp tv. (i last tested on version .141)

I have been able to connect to other libraries and play stuff over the Net but I don't know about the next hop to then restream the stuff - again you will have to play.  Regardless it probably is not a usable solution due to the low bandwith between the two homes.
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:10:21 am »

It works perfect on my phone (HTC Inspire), it doesn't play videos on my tablet (Iconia A500). On the tablet only the sound of the video plays, the screen remains black, regardless of the settings server-side or the content (SH, HD, various resolutions). I can see the server doing the encoding (% CPU) but only sounds comes out. Thoughts, stuff to check?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:18:40 am »

There are still some issues with later versions of Andriod but these are (I think) fixed in an upcoming release (I only have V2.2: FROYO on my Tab)
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:18 am »

Aha, it may be. For the record, I got 2.3.3 on my phone and 3.1 on Iconia.

Really responsive otherwise, across the board. Very pleased! :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 05:29:59 am »

Do a manual update of Gizmo from http://jriver.com/install_gizmo.html and see how you go
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:25 am »

Cha-ching! :) I'm in business with the tablet too, after the update. Awesomesauce ! :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »

Thanks Jmone For Reply

Well im really glad you guys changed the converted files, and deleted them, for those of us with large libraries, i think that could have led into nightmares.

I've not played with the config of the views in this area but you have found the right place.  It would be a great idead to be able to copy other views to this area - I'll make the suggestion.
yeah i've thought more about this last night and today. I think in regards to making the "whole jriver experience" easier. it would be nice to maybe just give the option in media network, Maybe have a tick box that says duplicate theaterview views? Personally i know i'd like all my my views to be identical, but others may not. so giving that option would give the users a choice. For my library i know it really helps with theaterview to be able to have different views for music videos, movies, and tv shows, due to the fact these views are completely different, example tv shows i use media subtype/series/season/episode. and for music videos, i use keywords/artists/album/name, and movies keywords/series (for example the batmans/harry potters) then name. So if there is no way to make these views diffrent it makes it tough to come up with an all-in-one view. I hope this gets looked at :) Also for ease of backups. all settings would be saved for webview/gizmo/and theaterview cause they would all be the same.

Poor girl....(about being a iphone user not your GF!).  You may have to play to see what app may work, I don't know if JWPLAYER or another app will work for her.  Also keep in mind that video playback will be limited by both your upload bandwith and also the download over the phone network.  There is discussions about various additional (lower quality) settings that may be more bandwidth friendly.
I concur on the iphone user part (but she's unable to be swayed.. Prolly due to the fact her stuff never breaks nor gets infected.lol) I'll look into replacement streamers for her. its been so long since i set up her iphone with web road, that i cannot remember if there is an option to change the quicktime default.

Delivery of food (cupcakes, pies etc) seem to be well received at JRiver HQ Smiley
I've got no problem doing that either.. JRiver how does one proceed with gifting?

I have been able to connect to other libraries and play stuff over the Net but I don't know about the next hop to then restream the stuff - again you will have to play.  Regardless it probably is not a usable solution due to the low bandwith between the two homes.
Yeah the band width will most likelly be an issue. Especially since im only uploading at 800 some, and he can only download at 1.5

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 02:56:09 pm »

Please try 159, available here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66062.0

You will also need to update Gizmo. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »

HTPC4ME

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:12 pm »

NICE Thanks Jim :)

Jim when you have time, would you mind checking out my post in androids thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66092.0 about a sleep timer app i found, and letting me know if you guys would be willing to speak with that developer about allowing us to kill gizmo, so we can use gizmo at night when we goto sleep, and still have battery left in the AM to wake us.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

Streaming Blu-ray also works in Gizmo.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »

Is there any way to reduce bitrate? Looking at temp file sizes shows why I'm constantly skipping while trying to watch any video over mobile network.

Video: Flash Video 1 533x400 24.00fps 2500kbps [Video]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz stereo 128kbps [Audio]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »

Hopefully there will be a couple more choices in MC17.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »

that would be great. thanks for the reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up