INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 knocks Roberts Stream 205 wi-fi radio back to startup  (Read 4503 times)

Quartic

• Recent member
MC16 knocks Roberts Stream 205 wi-fi radio back to startup
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:05 am »

Trying to use MC16 with a Roberts wi-fi radio (the "205").  Find that loading MC16 into PC memory appears, reliably, to knock the radio back to its "start" routine or to turn it off.  Radio will work with other uPnP servers (eg TVersity).  MC16 will reliably play music from my hard disk to my hi-fi system. (The sound interface from the PC to the hi-fi is the Edirol FA-66).

Have tested, or had this tested, on a number of different 205 radios.  So does not appear to be simply a "this radio fault".  (Of course, I am not precluding the possibility that there could be a systemic radio problem).

I like MC - it has an excellent interface - and would very much like to know what I can do to resolve this.

I use Windows XP and the system is set to pick up all MS updates promptly.  

Many thanks for your attention.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 knocks Roberts Stream 205 wi-fi radio back to startup
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:40 am »

Maybe two servers are being run on a single IP address?

Is the Roberts 250 a device on the network?

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:49 pm »

I have used "My Network Places" to interrogate the device addresses on my network this evening.  I have "right clicked" and selected "properties".  This shows the Roberts radio at 192.168.1.65.  I can see three PCs at 66, 68 and 71.  The broadband modem at 254 and a printer at 67.  The TVersity Media Server shows the same device address as its host PC (68).  When I load MC, three new entries appear, all at device address 68 (the same as its host computer).  These are:"Generic DLNA", "Library Server" and "Web Remote".  Note that when this all started last week, the only uPnP server  I had was MC.  TVersity came later as part of my attempts at diagnosis.

Is this enough detail yet?

Kind Regards

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

Running another DLNA server at the same address might confuse your device.  Try shutting down tversity.

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:34 pm »

I have uninstalled TVersity completely, turned the Roberts 205 wi-fi radio on and then loaded MC16.  Within say 10 seconds, the radio restarts.  From then on, every time I turn the radio on and try to connect to my "shared media" it is knocked back to its start routine.  Closing MC16 stops this happening. 

Now without TVersity (and with MC16 not loaded into main memory), I can still see (what I assume is) a server on the Roberts 205 display, but there is no corresponding  "device" shown within windows for this PC (as previously discussed).  Selecting this option at the radio will play MP3 files but not FLAC files.  I assume that the server in this case is Windows Media Player (but I don't really know!).  The radio still shows at device address "65".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »

Try changing the settings for MC's server.

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »

I'm flummoxed.

Tried looking in 1) Tools, Options and in 2) Tools, Advanced Tools, Media Server.

In item 1) I have switched off the three DLNA options but can't see anything else I would recognise as being relevant (but thats not saying much!).  205 still crashed after DLNA switch-off.

Item 2) does not seem to lead anywhere (ie the software does not respond to me taking this option).

I'm probably only reflecting my lack of knowledge of the subject.

Please advise.

Kind regards

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:44:00 am »

Is this significant?

I have been using Jamcast as a test bed for playing FLAC files this last weekend.

Then . . .

Loaded MC16 on "server" PC.  Jamcast continued serving for about twenty minutes with MC16 in main memory.

Then I took the tools option in MC16.

As soon as the tools menu dropdown appeared, Jamcast stopped serving, with the Roberts 205 being knocked back to start up.

This might be the same as my very first use of MC16 a couple of weeks ago.

Then, MC16 served the Roberts 205 for around five minutes successfully (no other uPnP servers having been set up on the PC at that time) before abruptly triggering the endless re-start cycle.

I have not been able to reproduce either those original circumstances or this weekend's experiment, in that the radio is knocked back to start (or off) as soon as MC16 is loaded into main memory.

Jamcast, by itself, continues to serve successfully.

Kind regards

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »

I think it may possibly be related to this...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65332.0

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:49:18 am »

Imugli, Thanks for this link.  Had a look.  Does look similar!  Have passed this link onto the Roberts Radio help desk in the hope that this might be diagnostic of a problem at their end.

In the meantime, the link suggests that at some stage MC had had this problem ironed out of it, but that it had re-appeared with MC16.  Perhaps this can be addressed by J Rivers as a solution, partial or otherwise.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:33 am »

This should be working for you as of build 16.0.152

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 03:41:35 pm »

Dear Bob
Have only just registered your reply.  Thank you for this.  Would like to try MC16 with the radio again to see if they really can co-exist.  Have uninstalled the original version (128, I think) and installed 179.  However, your system knows that the original trial period has expired.  Is it possible to extend the trial period to see if I can use MC16 now?

Kind regards

Quartic

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »

You could try MC17.  It's on the MC17 board here.

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:30 pm »

Dear JimH

Wilco.

I'll let you know how successful I am.

Kind regards

Quartic

Quartic

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:40 am »

Dear JimH

Have now spent some time "playing" with 17.  Yes, the Roberts Radio now works perfectly with Media Centre.  No conflicts.

Excellent.

Thank you (all) for resolving the problem and for keeping me up-to-date (here).

Kind regards

Quartic
Pages: [1]   Go Up